Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Sony Library Revision 3.1.00.12040 no longer paginates?

Good afternoon. To my dismay it seems that with the latest revision of Sony's Reader Library they have removed the pre-pagination feature from the PC software. I do realize that Sony is shifting to ePub, but until Sony publishes a firmware update to deal with the ePub formatting issues on the PRS-505, I'm going to be using LRF for quite some time.

I was wondering if someone still has 3.XXXX version of the software published before the 12-10-2009 update? I would like to be able to test and confirm my suspicions. Well, that and it is really frustrating waiting five+ minutes while the Reader device has to format and paginate a 6000+ page Biblical text.

-Abisha
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Update to my own thread.

Using VersionTracker I was able to find a link that Sony has still made available.

http://download.sony.com/prs/ebookli...0Installer.exe

The above link points to version 3.0.00.08040.

After cleaning out my Appdata folder, and installing this older version I was able to confirm that using a build released prior to 12-10-2009, will paginate LRF book types before sending them to the Reader, in my case being a PRS-505. Problematic with this solution is that because Sony has now tied in your account licensing with Adobe's activation servers you cannot access the store. The only foreseeable solution to this seems to be installing the different builds into seperate Windows Accounts thereby avoiding corruption of your Appdata. This is rather frustrating, but for those that need the use of pre-pagination when sending 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 thousand page books to the reader, it's the best we get I suppose.

Last edited by Abisha; 12-15-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
mypolar
Enthusiast
mypolar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505 Yeah! Palm Tungesten E2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisha View Post
Update to my own thread.

The only foreseeable solution to this seems to be installing the different builds into seperate Windows Accounts thereby avoiding corruption of your Appdata. This is rather frustrating, but for those that need the use of pre-pagination when sending 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 thousand page books to the reader, it's the best we get I suppose.

Abisha, maybe this will help maybe not-( I'm no expert- a semi newbie ) but I had sooooooooooooooooooo many issues with the Sony Reader software that I also tried reinstalling the older version. This worked for about a week then I got a message that I must download the update. It would not allow me to access the online library without installing the updated version.

My solution is to ONLY use Calibre to manage my ebook library - it is a great program. I use Sony when I rarely want to buy a book from them and import the book using Calibre.
mypolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre will not paginate either. And "organizing" according to Calibre is creating a directory for each book - a waste of disk space.

I organize with a file manager, convert with BookDesigner and transfer with the 3.0 Library software. Each is superior in its own role to Calibre.

Calibre is plagued by the same illness that almost every other software product: new features (that are only useful to a loud niche of users) are being added, while core functions are not fixed. Calibre's conversion is ABYSMAL compared to BookDesigner. Yet, you can add RSS feeds, and email books to it - for most, totally useless functions.

Last edited by BlackVoid; 04-01-2010 at 03:46 PM.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The Sony reader will do the pagination. You only need to do it once for each book / font size. So... I don't see this as a reason to need to run the old version of the software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote