Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #1231
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who's dead, as a matter of interest?
I should have written: "presumed dead".
Dead to the world of Kindles at least, if not dead in fact.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #1232
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I used the jailbreak for 5.6.5, and I last updated probably over a year ago with version 5.7.4. Should I do another firmware update to get the latest firmware? Since I did update from 5.6.5, and was able to stay jailbroken for 5.7.4, am I safe just doing it the same way, re-installing the various items like python and the mrinstaller after updating? I haven't been following all the updates for a while, so I was just wanting to see if there is anything that some people might consider "essential". Especially speed or any great fonts.

Last edited by BrentB; 04-23-2017 at 09:23 PM.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #1233
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
I used the jailbreak for 5.6.5, and I last updated probably over a year ago with version 5.7.4. Should I do another firmware update to get the latest firmware? Since I did update from 5.6.5, and was able to stay jailbroken for 5.7.4, am I safe just doing it the same way, re-installing the various items like python and the mrinstaller after updating? I haven't been following all the updates for a while, so I was just wanting to see if there is anything that some people might consider "essential". Especially speed or any great fonts.
Install this (it has been updated since you last used it):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597
It will do no harm if you don't need it and may save you a lot of grief if you do.
(Once that is done, your jail break will survive any update to any version. IF you keep your fingers off of the 'reset' button.)

You will need KUAL and MrPI after you update.
Plus re-install anything else you may have been using.
MrPI is a "batch mode" installer, just put all *.bin files in /mrpackages and trigger MrPI.

You did not mention what device.
So just read steps #7 and #8 of the current jailbreak.

Last edited by knc1; 04-23-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #1234
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A year or two ago I put the dummy directory (I hope it was *supposed* to be a folder, not a file), update.bin.tmp.partial, in the top directory of a basic Kindle 2014 (90C6) and then did nothing further and forgot about it. Now I have a Voyage and am willing to play around with the Basic. It's now on 5.6.5, and the directions to jailbreak look very easy.

If I jailbroke it, would I be able to install the Lynx browser or another textual browser that would work well with the Kindle?

Are these still the files to use: jb.zip and JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip that are now about 2 years old?

Also, I'm wondering why when I go to "Update Your Kindle," it is currently greyed-out. I renamed the update.bin.tmp.partial and rebooted but it is still greyed-out even though the Basic is on 5.6.5. When I put the Amazon update to 5.89 bin file, update-3164600017-8eacdd75-c35d-4ceb-8542-ff3aa0eabb6d.bin in the top directory the Update Your Kindle option is no longer greyed-out. I was considering updating to 5.8.9 manually after I saw on the Voyage the useful quick access menu items always available on the top of screens that I think started with 5.7.2. Then I thought about jailbreaking first. What is the reason that it won't update from clicking the Update Your Kindle option unless there is already a bin file on board and could that be a leading indicator of a problem with jailbreaking? TIA.
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #1235
knc1
Going Viral

Use the current jailbreak.

You must install the jailbreak and the "survival code" before updating to 5.8.8 or 5.8.9
Those two firmware versions can not be jailbroken.
But the JB will survive an update to them.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #1236
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Use the current jailbreak.

You must install the jailbreak and the "survival code" before updating to 5.8.8 or 5.8.9
Those two firmware versions can not be jailbroken.
But the JB will survive an update to them.
Thanks. I knew I needed to be on 5.6.5 to jb.

Could you save me some time and link to the current 5.6.5 jailbreak? With the 100's of posts over muliple threads and years I find it confusing.

Is the current survival code the same as the one I already downloaded, JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:05 PM   #1237
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_D View Post
Thanks. I knew I needed to be on 5.6.5 to jb.

Could you save me some time and link to the current 5.6.5 jailbreak? With the 100's of posts over muliple threads and years I find it confusing.

Is the current survival code the same as the one I already downloaded, JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip? Thanks for your help.
You must be on any firmware version earlier (smaller numbers) than 5.8.8
Open spoiler in introduction for a decoding guide.

It really isn't that hard to find, it is still on the first page of the forum index after 10 months:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

The only thing required is to read and follow the directions without any shortcuts or other local variations.
Do not try to mix these directions with any other.

English not your native language?
Put the above URL string into your favorite web search tool, find how many translations there are out there (a lot, some good, some not so good).

Last edited by knc1; 04-28-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #1238
Andy_D
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It really isn't that hard to find, it is still on the first page of the forum index after 10 months:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
So is "Tools 5.6.5 Jailbreak (closed-kindle) -- released!"

My Kindle is on 5.6.5 and that thread seemed the more relevant. Maybe you should somehow deprecate "how to" threads whose directions have been superceded by later ones. I don't think you realize how complicated it appears when reading the forum de novo. At least, it looks complicated to me and frought with possibilities of slipping-up. That must be why I installed the OTA blocking folder years ago and then followed up by dropping the whole thing.

I would like to know if it would be worth it for me and my personal wish list to proceed. That's why I asked if it's possible, post-jb, to install a Lynx or Lynx-like textual browser that would make the Kindle a useful internet web browsing tool, something it decidedly is not with the "experimental web browser."
Old 04-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #1239
knc1
Going Viral

You mean such as what is included in the sticky thread "Jailbreak Index" ?

I did not have anything to do with any of them except the most recent, I can not support anything other than mine. As a matter of fact, I can hardly do even that now.

So make your own choice.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #1240
Andy_D
Connoisseur

Web browsers in a jailbroken Kindle

I would like to know if it it's possible, post-jb, to install a Lynx or Lynx-like textual browser that would make the Kindle a useful internet web browsing tool, something it decidedly is not with the "experimental web browser." Anyone? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #1241
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_D View Post
I would like to know if it it's possible, post-jb, to install a Lynx or Lynx-like textual browser that would make the Kindle a useful internet web browsing tool, something it decidedly is not with the "experimental web browser." Anyone? Thanks.
We have builds of Skipstone, but I do not recall seeing anyone posting a copy of Lynx.
So go ahead and contribute yours, once you get it to work.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #1242
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
I want to know how this jb works. When i try to download it onto a system for code inspection my antivirus deletes it on grounds of aHtml Exploit tool.
As the jb is just infected by the browser, why cant we do it now also?
Why is it only for 5.6.5?
If there could be some way we can infect the system again through this method then there can be jailbreak possible for 5.8.9!

Kindle doesnt have an antivirus yet

B.Baalaji

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 05-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #1243
knc1
Going Viral

First thing you need to do is (also) install a Linux distribution on your computer.
That is, make your computer dual-boot.
There are plenty of directions out there for you to follow.
You should not expect to learn how a *nix operating system works while running Windows.

You should not expect some other operating system to get things correct.
And since you don't have enough background to recognize when the messages your computer system puts out are nonsense . . .

Then if you can't see how the jb installation works - ask the author.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #1244
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Which Linux distribution would you recommend Sir?

B.Baalaji
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:01 PM   #1245
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Which Linux distribution would you recommend Sir?

B.Baalaji
Since you haven't used any of them yet, this will be a hard question to answer:

Will you be just using it occasionally or do you think it will become something you will use on a regular basis?
Just think about that, no need to answer now.

Koppix is probably the easiest for a new user to become accustom to:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
It is best used as a LiveCD (LiveDVD) installed on USB stick.

Debian is a very conservative distribution.
Which means two things:
It is very trouble free, hence very stable.
It is almost always 'old' software.
Probably what an active user will not find suitable.

Ubuntu is derived from Debian, but has a much faster adoption of new firmware versions.
Its installer is also very good at turning a Windows-Only machine into a dual-boot machine.
https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

If you want a rolling distribution (updated as new software becomes available, not on a calendar schedule).
About the best of the best is OpenSuse/Tumbleweed:
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tum...d_installation
It is a bit 'different' than other distributions, but you are not handicapped with a past history of using something else.
Its installer is also very good at making a Windows machine share the disk space available (good at making a dual-boot machine).

Regardless of the one you pick, you will be in a 'learning mode'.

All of the above support either the KDE or the Gnome GUI (or both - this isn't Windows).
I would suggest Gnome, but even if you pick that one to install, you can still install the other at anytime.
(Then you would pick which one to run when you log-in.)

Also, all of the above each have a very comprehensive wiki/forum with lots of documentation and question/answer sections.

Last edited by knc1; 05-22-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking