Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #121
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
What the heck else could it be?

There's a crazy little shack beyond the tracks
And ev'rybody calls it the sugar shack
Well, it's just a coffeehouse and it's made out of wood
Espresso coffee tastes mighty good
That's not the reason why I've got to get back
To that sugar shack, whoa baby
To that sugar shack.

--Jimmy Gilmer & Fireballs – Sugar Shack Lyrics
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #122
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Here is what one poor misguided person thought.

Spoiler:
Sugar shack? That's from white sugar and adding a maple extract - not 100% pure.

Two people honestly thought that Pure maple syrup was the unprocessed sap.
Apparently they never read "Little House in the Big Wood" or watched the "Franklin and Friends cartoons."

Sometimes the Internet is like a World Expo of Ignorance, isn't it?

Wonder what those people think a sugar bush is?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #123
Conan46
Evangelist
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
When I set my server up, I wondered how much I'd actually use it, but it turns out that I use it almost daily. I think my brain has just categorized it as an additional music service. Also, Alexa and I will never sort out how she would like me to pronounce "Bei Mir Bist Du Schön" so that she understands it so it's often much faster to play it from the music server.

I intend to eventually get a 128GB micro SD so I can also put my entire collection on my Clip+. Navigating it will be less than optimal but that's what my highly-specific playlists are for.

Some days I miss my iPod Classic so much...
My Alexa devices have ruined me for using the server it is so easy to call up music. But you are right, Alexa is a challenge for some bands/artists. Sometimes you have to do weird pronunciations for her to understand. I almost gave up asking her to play music from the Classic Christian Rock band "Petra". Then one day just for the heck of it I asked her to play "Peeetra" and she got it with the weird pronunciation. Otherwise she played some foreign language radio station.
Loved my Clip. It is in a drawer now but still works. I think it was the only mp3 player I had that played ogg format, and much of my music is ripped to that format.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #124
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire HD8 (2015), Dell Venue Pro 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
My Alexa devices have ruined me for using the server it is so easy to call up music. But you are right, Alexa is a challenge for some bands/artists. Sometimes you have to do weird pronunciations for her to understand. I almost gave up asking her to play music from the Classic Christian Rock band "Petra". Then one day just for the heck of it I asked her to play "Peeetra" and she got it with the weird pronunciation. Otherwise she played some foreign language radio station.
Loved my Clip. It is in a drawer now but still works. I think it was the only mp3 player I had that played ogg format, and much of my music is ripped to that format.
My Alexa has ruined me for actually getting up to turn a light on or off. I do use her for Pandora and TuneIn a lot, although I've yet to figure out how she wants "Miled Music" (mee-led) pronounced for any of the MM stations on TuneIn. Mild, mee-led, mill-ed, milled... nothing works. I usually end up opening the app or web interface and launching them from there. She's really good with all my Pandora stations, though. And there's something highly entertaining about exuberantly exclaiming, "Alexa! Thumbs up!"

But to be fair, there is a lot of stuff in my Exotica and Latinesque Lounge genres that I don't even know the correct pronunciation for.

My Clip+ has gotten a lot more use lately since I started using the treadmill. With a 64GB card and Rockbox, it holds just over half my collection, so it's also good for traveling and when I'm in Florida out on the boat. I just plug it into the line-in on the radio we installed last year , seal it in a baggie for protection, and subject everyone to my taste in music.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #125
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Apparently they never read "Little House in the Big Wood" or watched the "Franklin and Friends cartoons."

Sometimes the Internet is like a World Expo of Ignorance, isn't it?

Wonder what those people think a sugar bush is?
Now to get back on topic so I can share another funny.
I have a gadget or two for cutting french fries. Nice fat ones, not those skinny things sold at a certain fast food chain.

Anyway, it took 3 pages to convince one of those two people that the fast food chain's french fries were not typical American french fries. She thought all french fries had to be pretty much identical to be called french fries because apparently where she is from all "chips" are pretty much uniform. Think fish n chips not American potato chips.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #126
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
That is another fascinating bit of technology, storage devices and cards. You can put an entire library of books or music or both on something the size of a fingernail. And right now I'm running an entire Linux operating system off of a 64 gb usb stick running on a Chromebook. Storage has gotten inexpensive in the past couple of years.
I bought one of the very early Flash storage cards; a 5 meg Sandisk PCMCIA card. Yes I said meg, not gig. I waited till the 10 meg version came out, which dropped the price of the 5 meg version from $1500 to only $600. I got this to use in my HP 100lx. Sandisk invented the flash memory card and they did it simply because of the 100lx, which at that time was the only device that could use it.

I recently bought a 128 gig micro SD card for $32 so yes I'd say prices have gone down.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:27 PM   #127
Conan46
Evangelist
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I bought one of the very early Flash storage cards; a 5 meg Sandisk PCMCIA card. Yes I said meg, not gig. I waited till the 10 meg version came out, which dropped the price of the 5 meg version from $1500 to only $600. I got this to use in my HP 100lx. Sandisk invented the flash memory card and they did it simply because of the 100lx, which at that time was the only device that could use it.

I recently bought a 128 gig micro SD card for $32 so yes I'd say prices have gone down.

Barry
Not long ago I was paying about $20 for a 14 gb usb stick. I now pay that for a 64 gb stick. Cloud storage may be driving down prices and some devices dropping external storage altogether may be leading to oversupply and lower prices. Whatever the case it is good for consumers
Edit: BTW that is a great price on the micro sd. I was paying that much for a 32 gb micro sd not long ago.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #128
arjaybe
Fanatic
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
There's a crazy little shack beyond the tracks
And ev'rybody calls it the sugar shack
Well, it's just a coffeehouse and it's made out of wood
Espresso coffee tastes mighty good
That's not the reason why I've got to get back
To that sugar shack, whoa baby
To that sugar shack.

--Jimmy Gilmer & Fireballs – Sugar Shack Lyrics
Okay, I've got a Sugar Shack earworm now.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #129
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Okay, I've got a Sugar Shack earworm now.
It gave me the Love Shack earworm, but at least it got rid of the Schoolhouse rock.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #130
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: Orig Droid, Kindle KB-3G, Archos 43, Samsung S3, Chromebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Then please do so. What do you think a gadget is? I wouldn't call an airplane a gadget, so I'm interested in your definition.
Gadgets might be anything.

We normally wouldn't call a match a gadget, but a Ferro Rod is surely one though it hardly looks more complicated.

A multipurpose knife as simple as the old time scout knife would be a gadget, and surely one of those multipurpose Gerber or Swiss knives with 30 extra features including compass, whistle and toothpick are "super gadgets."

And of course the most ubiquitous gadget of the day is the computer, in its many sizes, forms and motifs.

And could we, might we, dare we call a gadget by any other name than a "rose?" (I meant "gadget" of course!)

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 PM   #131
arjaybe
Fanatic
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It gave me the Love Shack earworm, but at least it got rid of the Schoolhouse rock.
I hear you can get rid of an earworm by singing Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #132
4691mls
Guru
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I hear you can get rid of an earworm by singing Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head.
I used to know someone who swore by the Pink Panther theme for this purpose.

I reckon you could use any tune that you like enough that you won't mind having it as your next earworm

Back on the topic of gadgets - the New Oxford American Dictionary on my Sony reader defines it as "a small mechanical device or tool, esp. an ingenious or novel one". So those upthread who said a gadget should be small were not alone in their definition. When I think "gadget" I tend to think of the kind of kitchen items that get sold in infomercials.

Last edited by 4691mls; 04-24-2017 at 11:42 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #133
Alohamora
Groupie
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Androids, Fires(6, 7, 8.9), Kindle, Nook ST
My definition of gadget is something​ that fills a need that you didn't even know was a need before you saw/heard of the gadget. I never knew maps weren't good enough until I knew about a navigation GPS. I never knew I needed a Fitbit until I got one. Tape was good enough prior to CDs, CDs were fine until mp3s came along. Who needs a phone and a PDA in one device, remember when the TREO first showed up?
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:33 PM   #134
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I used to know someone who swore by the Pink Panther theme for this purpose.

I reckon you could use any tune that you like enough that you won't mind having it as your next earworm

Back on the topic of gadgets - the New Oxford American Dictionary on my Sony reader defines it as "a small mechanical device or tool, esp. an ingenious or novel one". So those upthread who said a gadget should be small were not alone in their definition. When I think "gadget" I tend to think of the kind of kitchen items that gets sold in infomercials.
Have you been looking in my top file cabinet drawer?
Though the Ronco Veg-o-matic does work great.
Now if you really want to see small kitchen gadgets, go to Wish.com and type kitchen in the search.