Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
FAA will allow use of electronic devices during takeoff

Now it's up to the individual airlines.

FAA allowing electronic device use throughout flights
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Finally. Our national nightmare is over.

Er, hallelujah.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. Before taking off, I'd like to remind you of our policy concerning electronic devices. Due to a recent FAA ruling, you will now be allowed to use certain devices during takeoffs and landings.

Each airline is allowed to implement this rule as they see fit and FlyWithUs Airlines will now allow the use of tablets and ereaders. Because of an exclusive arrangement we've made with Amazon, only Kindles will be allowed to be used fee free. The use of other tablets and ereaders will entail a $25 service charge per device. WiFi with ads will be free for all Kindle Fire users and $35 for non-Fire users. An additional $15 fee will eliminate those ads. The flight attendants will be around shortly to collect your fees.

So on behalf of FlyWithUs Airlines and Amazon, I wish you a pleasant flight.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Finally! YAY!

Does anyone know how implementation of this is heading?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. Before taking off, I'd like to remind you of our policy concerning electronic devices. Due to a recent FAA ruling, you will now be allowed to use certain devices during takeoffs and landings.

Each airline is allowed to implement this rule as they see fit and FlyWithUs Airlines will now allow the use of tablets and ereaders. Because of an exclusive arrangement we've made with Amazon, only Kindles will be allowed to be used fee free. The use of other tablets and ereaders will entail a $25 service charge per device. WiFi with ads will be free for all Kindle Fire users and $35 for non-Fire users. An additional $15 fee will eliminate those ads. The flight attendants will be around shortly to collect your fees.

Roundtrip fare to Paris from NYC on Bend Over Airlines just $299. Extra fees for everything under the sun, including sunshine, $2500. Thank you for bending over and flying BOA.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Guarantee it will take months before this trickles down to the flight attendants who will still insist that people completely turn off their devices. Hopefully I will be wrong.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Don't even joke about it, they might think it's a good idea
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yes, I can finally stop hiding my Kindle during the final take off and landing checks.

I mean, goodie, I can use my Kindle during take off and landing!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Don't even joke about it, they might think it's a good idea
What do you mean "might?"

I just booked a flight for the first time in a couple years and was prompted to pay extra for a seat assignment. Charging for beverages or snacks, well I don't like it, but I understand it, and I can bring my own snacks if I like. But I can't bring my own seat.

Anyway, nice to hear about the FAA decision.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Next step...provide a wifi hub and some content! (even if it is just their in-flight magazines so I don't have to try to read something that's been pawed through 100 times before!). A crossword puzzle or two, a couple of Amazon Singles, etc....oh yeah, and a lot of ads!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I think in the future airplanes will have a standing area... so that they can actually charge extra for seats. Not sure how it will work with seatbelts, though... maybe they will strap you to the wall?

I noticed on a flight recently that I was not able to turn off the seat-back TV until AFTER several ads played. So yes, I paid for the flight and was also forced to sit through ads.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
cNet has a good summary of the USA airline plans. It looks like it's going to be implemented faster then I thought. I'll be interested to see how fast it gets implemented in Canada.

news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57610254-94/when-will-your-favorite-airline-take-advantage-of-the-faas-rule-change/
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:

ROFL
Brilliant !!!!
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Guarantee it will take months before this trickles down to the flight attendants who will still insist that people completely turn off their devices. Hopefully I will be wrong.
Flew Delta Monday & Thursday this week. On the flight to their hub in a larger aircraft they allowed use of e-readers etc. from takeoff to landing. However, on the flights in the smaller aircraft operated by SkyWest Airlines nothing had changed.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I flew Delta last Monday, and they were still a bit confused. Although before takeoff they told us of the new ruling and that we could use our devices, for landing they told us we had to shut them down and put them away. I just kept reading my HD and no one said anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote