Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This may explain the clicky noise I get when I touch the bezel on the top left.

I don't think the back is metal it's plastic with a finish that feels like metal. I hate how the back feels but I plan to get a Decalskin to fix that.

The Bezel has nothing to do with my screen's contrast. I've already tried the black construction paper and it still can't be compared to my K3.
I've been wondering about the back and the outer surround (part just outside of the bezel. I noticed yesterday that the outer edge is much colder to the touch than the Page turn buttons. And so is the back. (I think the buttons are plastic for sure.) I wonder if they might be aluminum. I tried placing a refrigerator magnet on the K4 but it doesn't seem like the case is magnetically attractive. But if it is aluminum I would not expect it to be. I tried to find the disassembly video but haven't located it yet.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #17
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, K3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Interesting thread, and I'm enjoying reading the detailed responses for why people prefer one Kindle or another. I don't mind that people disagree with my viewpoints; it's obviously a very subjective thing.
bchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i went to staples today and tried the latest gen kindle. i probably fiddled with it for about a minute before seeking out the manager and asking if they could get it out of demo mode so i could actually test the thing and not be tutored she said no , and indicated that that wasn't the first time she'd heard that request. anyway, i gave up and left, so i have no idea if i'd like the thing or not
I don't know how companies think they can sell things if people can't see them work.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #19
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wouldn't call it a Mickey Mouse thing. It is after all better built than any of the other current E Ink eReader offerings from Sony, Kobo, and B&N.
Lmao. Says who except you?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #20
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
You can say what you want about not liking the form factor of the new Kindle, too small for your hands, you don't like the positioning of the page turn buttons etc, but to call it "dollar store quality"? Please. That implies it'll fall apart within a week due to poor construction. This thing is well made and of the best quality.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
You can say what you want about not liking the form factor of the new Kindle, too small for your hands, you don't like the positioning of the page turn buttons etc, but to call it "dollar store quality"? Please. That implies it'll fall apart within a week due to poor construction. This thing is well made and of the best quality.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. It may be how they are perceived when customers see the condition of the display models. In any case, for $109 I did expect something different.

As I said, it was difficult to impossible to use the demos properly. Not just the Kindles but the Nooks as well.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #22
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I am going to wait until they come out with a heavy plated. Gold-Pressed Latinum model.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #23
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I recently played with a demo model and didn't care for it. It was too small for my hands. My thumb had to rest halfway across the screen. The page turn buttons were not placed where I could use them. All buttons were too small. I would have to use two hands to operate it.

And it had a dollar store quality to it. Frankly, I think at $79 it is overpriced.

Since it was in demo mode I couldn't use it fully. The page turns were not fast on this particular model. The screen wasn't the best I've seen. I did think the background was slightly darker compared to the K3 next to it but that could be lighting effects. It's possible the unit wasn't functioning properly, though. Other functions seemed strangely tedious.

Checking the other ereaders on display, none seemed to function as intended. Not a good selling feature.
Gee, perhaps mine is defective since I have none of those problems. Mine cost more than $79 since I live in Mexico and had to get the model without ads, pay for shipping, and pay import duties but for me it was worth it.

So, obviously, I disagree but there is nothing respectful about my disagreeing with your rude and insulting post.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-01-2011 at 06:19 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
I am going to wait until they come out with a heavy plated. Gold-Pressed Latinum model.
Ahhh, yes. Latinum lasts longer than lust.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
and much better than Unobtainium!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #26
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
and much better than Unobtainium!
Yep!
It is reported that the Unobtainium model was to easy too lose. They just would not stay in place.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #27
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Ahhh, yes. Latinum lasts longer than lust.
It is said that lust for any one thing is a fleeting emotion and in time fades and withers away!