Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Xploder
Xploder began at the beginning.

Device: kindle wifi
Exclamation How Do I Register My Kindle WITHOUT WIFI Access?

Howdy all! Just as the title says. I bought a new Kindle from Amazon - wifi only - v3.2.1, but when I got it, I realized that I have NO wifi access. I registered it at Amazon but it would be nice to be able to, oh, I dunno, use all the features maybe? Is there some work around for this or do I need to find some place that has wifi for the sole reason of registering it?

I have a HUGE amount of pdf's that I'd like to be able to read while I'm laid up for the next six months after major back surgery so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Xploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could you not take it somewhere (or get someone else to take it) where it has WiFi access (Eg MacDonalds)? It only needs doing once.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think pdf's should work without registration. Just connect the Kindle via USB, and drag and drop the file(s) into the "documents" folder. Collections are not available until you register. I would find a free wi-fi hotspot somewhere (in USA, McDonalds, Starbucks, Panera Bread, etc.) and register that way.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I would make a quick trip to Starbucks or Panera to use their free wifi to register. Or, you could return it and go for the 3G version.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Registering won't give any features that will help with your huge collection of PDF's. Put them on and start reading.

You can search for the registration hack in the developer forum, but honestly, the easiest way to get your device registered (depending on where you live, of course) is to go somewhere that has free wifi access. McDonald's come's to mind. One trip will enable the Collections feature.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Registering won't give any features that will help with your huge collection of PDF's.
Collections could come in pretty useful for that. They don't work without registration.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Xploder

Yeah, collections are what I need. I was injured during Desert Storm and am now on my third round of back surgery for the same thing so it's pretty tough getting around. I guess I'll try and get someone to drive me somewhere with access. Thanks anyway.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
SkookumPete
Enthusiast
SkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle
I bought a WiFi router just for the sake of being able to use all the Kindle's features at home. Cheap (~$50) and easy to install.
SkookumPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Seriously—I mean this with no snarkiness intended...
Just find a kid (niece, nephew, neighbor) and send them to McDonalds with enough money for a Happy Meal (with adult supervision, of course). They'll be able to connect and sync and bring your Kindle back all registered without ever breaking a sweat.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xploder View Post
Yeah, collections are what I need. I was injured during Desert Storm and am now on my third round of back surgery for the same thing so it's pretty tough getting around. I guess I'll try and get someone to drive me somewhere with access. Thanks anyway.
Thank you for your service.

Is there someone you trust who you can give the Kindle too and have them register it for you? You could change your password before hand and then change it when you get the Kindle back.

Maybe a friend who has WiFi at their house or likes going to McDonalds or Starbucks?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Seriously—I mean this with no snarkiness intended...
Just find a kid (niece, nephew, neighbor) and send them to McDonalds with enough money for a Happy Meal (with adult supervision, of course). They'll be able to connect and sync and bring your Kindle back all registered without ever breaking a sweat.
Tongue in cheek - I wouldn't hand my kindle over to a kid who's guaranteed to handle it with greasy fingers at a MacDonalds
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
You can get a wireless router (Belkin N150) for $29.99 from amazon (or just about anywhere else), and then you'll have wireless as long as you have internet (or you can get an even cheaper one, I just mention that one because people rate it ok, it's cheap, and readily available). It will be easy for you to setup, just put in the disk follow the instructions, it'll probably take you 5 minutes, and then if there's anything you do need it for, you'll have it.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
Xploder

Well, I actually talked my daughter into driving me around until I found a usuable wifi connection. (Seriously McD's? Three different restaurants and I still can't connect?} So all is good.

I appreciate all the responses though!

Now wish me luck and hope this dang back surgery goes well.