Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
jeffoest
jeffoest began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Broken

I dropped my Sony PRS-500 while waiting in line at the Apple store in July for an iPhone. It seemed to work just fine although the metal was dinged up a bit. I hadn't used it for awhile since and when I went to recharge it I could not get a broken image from the screen. I tried to reset it endlessly and charged it up fully. Let it charge down fully and still nothing. It still seems to work - but the useful text is in the background of this foreground "junk".

I'm not going to even bother sending it in to Sony to get it fixed - their support page makes it seem like the process is both expensive and un-user friendly. I think I'm pretty much done with Sony products.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience similar.

Seems as though I have a brick. A shame really - Sony had some potential revenue stream from me via their eConnect book store. Now I'll probably go the route of Amazon's Kindle but I'll probably still wait for more stable products that use this technology.

At least my iPhone still works! lol

Cheers,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonyreader.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	7482  
jeffoest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You say that you hadn't used it for a while. The PRS 500 uses some power even when left alone and will drain completely in about three weeks. When this happens the solution is to recharge overnight using the mains adaptor, not via usb.

I would try doing this. After all, you have nothing to lose.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
jeffoest

Thanks Patricia... As a matter of fact, I did do that (which is why it's November now and it's been awhile since I noticed this! lol)... Sadly no change ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
You say that you hadn't used it for a while. The PRS 500 uses some power even when left alone and will drain completely in about three weeks. When this happens the solution is to recharge overnight using the mains adaptor, not via usb.

I would try doing this. After all, you have nothing to lose.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffoest View Post
I dropped my Sony PRS-500 while waiting in line at the Apple store in July for an iPhone. It seemed to work just fine although the metal was dinged up a bit. I hadn't used it for awhile since and when I went to recharge it I could not get a broken image from the screen. I tried to reset it endlessly and charged it up fully. Let it charge down fully and still nothing. It still seems to work - but the useful text is in the background of this foreground "junk".

I'm not going to even bother sending it in to Sony to get it fixed - their support page makes it seem like the process is both expensive and un-user friendly. I think I'm pretty much done with Sony products.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience similar.

Seems as though I have a brick. A shame really - Sony had some potential revenue stream from me via their eConnect book store. Now I'll probably go the route of Amazon's Kindle but I'll probably still wait for more stable products that use this technology.

At least my iPhone still works! lol

Cheers,
Jeff
You have broken a sony device by dropping it! maybe you should at least ring sony or send it to sony to see how much to fix it? just because you 'guess' it will be expensive and a hassle doesnt mean it will be, and because of that your done with sony products!.

It sounds like you have damaged the case and screen, neither of which will be repairable so in effect you need a new unit, so why not just buy a new one?
Not sure how it works in US but in the UK our home insurance covers accidental damage of personal items, so in your case i would send my insurance company the reader and pay the Excess of £50 and then get the money from them to buy a replacemnt.

You then say your going to wait for more stable products?! huh? what stable enough that they are indestructible? You dropped it! its not like it just stopped working.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
You then say your going to wait for more stable products?! huh? what stable enough that they are indestructible? You dropped it! its not like it just stopped working.
A pbook would have survived
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you plug in the AC adapter, does the red light come on?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:03 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Good point! but he dropped the equivalent of 100 Pbooks!

I wouldnt be able to pick up that many Pbooks neber mind drop them
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Good point! but he dropped the equivalent of 100 Pbooks!

I wouldnt be able to pick up that many Pbooks neber mind drop them

That's a good point for readers over pbooks! Just imagine dropping 100 pbooks on one toe?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
micomicon
Enthusiast
micomicon doesn't littermicomicon doesn't littermicomicon doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Quite correct. These devices need to be much more durable if they are to enjoy any mainstream success. As I understand it, this is an advantage the Kindle has over the Reader.
micomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by micomicon View Post
Quite correct. These devices need to be much more durable if they are to enjoy any mainstream success. As I understand it, this is an advantage the Kindle has over the Reader.
Please tell me. What advantage does the Kindle have over the Sony that would make it more durable, don't they have the same screen? The Sony's box is metal and isn't the Kindle's plastic? Please explain, I'm missing info here.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
jeffoest

I didn't drop it very far down and it was in it's case. I've had similar "drops" with the iPhone, iPods I've had and various cell phones. Not many. But maybe once a year. It happens. And those have never bricked the devices. So that's what I mean by stable - I really meant durable. I just can't spend $300 to have it work until my first small drop. And I suspect that in four years there will be more durable products. Hey - if this were an iPod I would buy another one very quickly. But at the end of the day with my priorities and daily life, I'm probably still good with real books actually.

I actually didn't think the drop killed it as it continued to work. I think it had something to do with the drop AND not using it for two months.... but what do I know..

Love the ideas of the kindle - but will wait a few generations - it's kind of ugly - the side buttons seem to get in the way from the reviews I've read and the plastic probably does make it even less durable than the Sony...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
jeffoest

JSWolf - yes the red light comes on. The unit scrolls and works properly. The "mess" on the display is just in the foreground but you can sort of see that things are working the background....
Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want to replace your 500 with another 500, you can get a refurbished one from SonyStyle for about $200 and that will have some sort of warranty with it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffoest View Post
I didn't drop it very far down and it was in it's case. I've had similar "drops" with the iPhone, iPods I've had and various cell phones. Not many. But maybe once a year. It happens. And those have never bricked the devices. So that's what I mean by stable - I really meant durable. I just can't spend $300 to have it work until my first small drop.
I hear that. I've dropped iPods, PDAs, cell phones, all with maybe some scratches and no real damage. Two weeks ago I dropped my 505 and the top plastic strip popped off, with all the internals for the power switch and the status light bouncing out. I managed to cobble it back together and it works, but there are two tiny pieces that I couldn't find a place for in the device! Who knows what they were for . . .
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by micomicon View Post
In what way? The Kindle and the Reader (and the Gen3, for that matter, too) use exactly the same screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote