Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World
badspell68 doesn't litterbadspell68 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Sony Reader 505 battery?

Anyone know the specks on the 505's battery? I love the quality of the image on the 505 and don't want to be forced into using a newer model once they discontinue repairs for it.
badspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I just purchased a replacement battery on Ebay to fix, what I believe is a dead battery, a 505 that my mom owns.

Do a search for any of the follow part numbers:

1-756-769-11
LIS1382(J)
8704A41918

I only paid about $13 for the battery but won't get a chance to try it until I get the reader from her around thanksgiving.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

Great!
How about the specifications for future reference (watts, volts, size-dimensions)?
I'm guessing there are tons of batts out there that would work.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Go to newpower99.com --- they have a special on the battery going. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago and revived an almost dead PRS-505. Two weeks with the new battery and fairly heavy reading, and I still have four bars from the initial charge!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

This is all great and helpful in the short-term, but if we have the full specifications of what the reader requires, then we all will be able to seek out batteries into the foreseeable futures.

So, specifications please?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You've been given various places and things to check out for the battery, if you need more then do what the rest of us do... Google it, use the part numbers quoted, search on eBay and contact a seller etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badspell68 View Post
This is all great and helpful in the short-term, but if we have the full specifications of what the reader requires, then we all will be able to seek out batteries into the foreseeable futures.

So, specifications please?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

Simply providing battery order info is not information that could be useful many years down the road when nothing is being sold that is specifically intended for the 505. A concise lists of power requirements and measurements would provide more helpful and searching information into the future when someone else is looking.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
If you search this forum, you'll find that there are full instructions on how to replace a battery for the 505, complete with photos.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

could you direct me to one that has the full battery specs required by the 505 with battery measurements?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
could you direct me to one that has the full battery specs required by the 505 with battery measurements?

Thanks!
http://www.newpower99.com/Battery_fo...%20prs-505.htm

Quote:
Replace your Sony Portable Reader PRS-505 Battery or Keep an Extra Battery on hand as a backup. This is a High Capacity 750 mAh, Lithium-Polymer Battery that offers even more up time than your original. Works in your Sony PRS-505 digital book reader. Simple, Easy and Inexpensive! You get a New Battery, FREE Special Tools (necessary for installation), helpful Video Instructions, AND You also get a full ONE YEAR Money Back Guarantee exclusively when you purchase your e-reader Battery from us!

There is all the information you need.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Anyone know the specks on the 505's battery? I love the quality of the image on the 505 and don't want to be forced into using a newer model once they discontinue repairs for it.
Actually, the screen on the 650 is even better then the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

Is it a touch screen?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Yes, it's a touch screen howver the technology (at least as far as I understand) is different to the 600. The screen itself has higher contrast than the 505. So as far as I'm aware the touch screen no longer detracts from the contrast/causes glare and the screen itself is better.

I'll know more when my 650 arrives, I currently have a 600.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 08:10 PM   #14
Megavvolt
Megavvolt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Sorry about necroposting but so is my life - I'm a bit behind.
I have both PRS-300 and PRS-505.

Just replaced the battery in my PRS-505.

The original battery inside is the same as in PRS-300 ("LIS1382", form factor 323450 as written on the battery itself) but the PRS-505 battery compartment is a bit roomier than that in PRS-300.

It feels as if they used the same battery for standardization purposes because for PRS-505 323450 certainly doesn't seem to be the limit.

Through trial and error I found 383454 to fit great IF you don't reuse the metal caddy the original battery glued into. My replacement battery came from "EEMB" brand. The manufacturer lists thickness for his 383454 battery as 4.1mm (and not as 3.8 as one would expect) and the measured thickness is 4 mm. The battery fits nicely (not snugly).

The connector on the replacement battery was different from the Sony connector and I re-used the original PCM (protection circuit module) altogether with the connector.
Megavvolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:31 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Simply providing battery order info is not information that could be useful many years down the road when nothing is being sold that is specifically intended for the 505. A concise lists of power requirements and measurements would provide more helpful and searching information into the future when someone else is looking.
According to this site...

https://www.nextbatteries.com/produc...505-rc-battery

...the battery is a Li-Polymer, 3.7 volts, 680mAh, 52.00 x 34.00 x 4.00mm dimensions.

This site uses this part number, EBSO2-LP750#J, which I'm guessing is unique to this specific seller.

EDIT: Didn't realize I was responding to a post from 2010. Sorry. Apparently these batteries are still widely available in 2024.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-15-2024 at 02:34 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote