Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe due to the way collections are handled, the way in which you pull out the memory card could screw up the collections so they did away with them on external memory to prevent this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Nope. There's absolutely no reason why the collections could not have been made dynamic withing the existing XML database framework. Hell I could code it up in a few hours.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 AM   #18
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
How about we start a pkitty I will pony up $50 to the programmer who can enable FOLDER access. I make a "books" folder on the memory card (heck use the books folder already in the "sony" folder that it uses now. but instead of showing me books show me FOLDERS that I put in that folder IE a directory tree (folders and books folders first) when I select a folder it just "loads" that folder you know what I mean.

Anyone else want to put into the kitty for someone to do this? I know its a lot of work if its possible at all so I don't expect someone to expend that kind of manpower for nothing.

I would be pretty darned happy with the unit as is with just that one little improvement.

Someone already made it so I can delete a book (have not tried it yet) just don't break support for that :-)
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
How about we start a pkitty I will pony up $50 to the programmer who can enable FOLDER access. I make a "books" folder on the memory card (heck use the books folder already in the "sony" folder that it uses now. but instead of showing me books show me FOLDERS that I put in that folder IE a directory tree (folders and books folders first) when I select a folder it just "loads" that folder you know what I mean.

Anyone else want to put into the kitty for someone to do this? I know its a lot of work if its possible at all so I don't expect someone to expend that kind of manpower for nothing.

I would be pretty darned happy with the unit as is with just that one little improvement.

Someone already made it so I can delete a book (have not tried it yet) just don't break support for that :-)
You want collections on external memory yet the book delete you have won't work with it. Can't have both.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #20
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
A proper tree/folder view app should be able to delete books and read them off of the memory card. A folder view app could be easier than the HTML parser even. No "Collections" but if it were up to me there wouldnt be collections anyways, just keep everything organized in folders on a big memory card and that would work as your collections.

If I can do it I will!
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nope. There's absolutely no reason why the collections could not have been made dynamic withing the existing XML database framework. Hell I could code it up in a few hours.
Have you contacted Sony to let them know some of the hacks/utils you've coded and some stuff like this that you could do, to try and get on their Reader firmware team? I'm totally serious. This would facilitate getting better built-in firmware, and maybe even a small optional functions menu/interface (like the hack gui) built into the Reader.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #22
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Or him getting ordered to close all the back doors in and disable hacking forever! Doh!
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No I haven't. I'd much rather spend my time coding than pleading with sony. I have noticed that the libprs500 gets visited by someone from SONY periodically, so they are aware of my efforts. If they want my help all they have to do is ask :-)
Old 09-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ha, HA! How do you tell that, kovidgoyal? Does their IP address give it away, maybe? It may be the same folks who monitor us here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah their IP address reverse DNS is a sony.jp domain
Old 09-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oooo! So it's folks in Japan then! Very interesting.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #27
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No I haven't. I'd much rather spend my time coding than pleading with sony. I have noticed that the libprs500 gets visited by someone from SONY periodically, so they are aware of my efforts. If they want my help all they have to do is ask :-)
that must be quite a compliment! congrats!
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #28
Raventhon
Raventhon began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
But why would one need so many books on the reader at a time?I have about 20 on it since april and I change one or two every few weeks.

Uncle Duke suggested to have a tiny card for each file group you need. You can still find low volume SDs for next to nothing. Having a couple dozen wouldn't take that much room and could be stored inside the reader jacket easily; inside little transparent vinyl pouches or a cut part from a photo slide storage album page. Just identify the cards and you're set.

I classify everything alphabetically by author and then title. So I'd need a card for the 'A's , a bigger one for 'D's and one for about 5 lesser used letters etc. Easily manageable.

But I do agree that a software patch is required for collections on a card.
Heh. I've got about 600 books on my device right now.
Raventhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #29
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
come on kovidgoyal then if you can do it and it would only take a fews hours go for it, its gotta be the number one want for the sony reader.

been playing round with your librs500 today its really good but how do you get up the editor i can edit meta information and stuff but i swaer i saw a book designer like program for it that lets you edit the text and stuff while its on screen

Last edited by andyafro; 09-28-2007 at 02:56 PM.
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I make it a policy not to make unofficial changes to device firmware. These tend to be a nightmare to maintain over the log term as SONY can always issue a firmware update to mess with a hack. SONY doesn't like hacks on its reader, so it gets what it deserves...no hacks.

NO libprs500 doesn't have a GUI for editing. There's absolutely no point in making one, since there are very capable HTML editors out there that you can use to edit HTML and then convert it using libprs500.