Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Converting files to mp3

As far as my search can tell, this hasn't been discussed here yet. If it has please point me to the right thread.

I recently got a subscription to Audible. Downloaded a book through the desktop app and of course I end up with an aax-file. I prefer mp3 and no DRM so I start looking around for a sort of Alf's Apprentice for audiobooks. The only thing that sort of works is SoundTaxi. Sort of... because bigger files simply get truncated after a few hours of length. Also, it seems to work like a real-time capture, for it takes a looong time to convert. I have this 1.65 Gb War and Peace which (if it weren't cut off after a few hours) would take many days to convert.

So the question is: what sure method is there to deDRM and convert aax files? If the deDRM bit is unethical on this forum (I have paid for the books!) then I'd still like some pointers on conversion.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Are you using a paid version of SoundTaxi?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Afaik, audible drm is uncracked. Feel free to consult google, but workarounds are playing and ' re recording in real time. Any audio can be "cracked" like that,
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
LSM
LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook
I purchased Ondesoft converter and had no trouble converting Audible files to mp3 or mp4
LSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
I purchased Ondesoft converter and had no trouble converting Audible files to mp3 or mp4
interesting - google tells me that's a MAC only product though ?

It also tells me that audible aggressively go after anyone advertising software that unlocks their files so softwares that can do it often ban discussions and don't advertise the fact.

Many libraries now offer audiobooks for loan in mp3 & WMA formats, ( Online) or on CD if you go to the physical building & check them out, so for something you only want to hear once that seems far less hassle.
Advert
Old 03-31-2015, 02:00 AM   #6
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@catlady: Yes, SoundTaxi is a legit copy.
@cybmole: rerecording in realtime is hardly an option with a 60+ hour book.
Yes, Ondesoft is Mac-only, so that won't work for me.

I'm surprised by the dearth of answers to my issue. Looking at how many users of ebooks are busy deDRMing their books I would expect the same dislike of DRM and unusual formats in the world of audiobooks. Ah well, thanks for your answers and let's all keep looking...
Old 03-31-2015, 02:44 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Just boycott audible. Horrible company with a rep of being v hard to exit /cancel. Same as lovefilm. Common link, both owned by big A, buy em but keep the lousy customer service. why pay more for one book per month than for unlimited netflix. Join a good library instead
Old 03-31-2015, 02:47 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

Ps some programs burn to virtual disc then rerip. Most audible books can be burned once. still slow and needs lots of working space.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:52 AM   #9
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Just boycott audible. Horrible company with a rep of being v hard to exit /cancel. Same as lovefilm. Common link, both owned by big A, buy em but keep the lousy customer service. why pay more for one book per month than for unlimited netflix. Join a good library instead
Yes, I hear you. But it's the only company that has few geographic restrictions. I've seen companies that can't sell about 80% of the titles I want to me. And as for libraries... they don't have what I need.
I'm looking into virtual disc burning -> ripping now. Still, it's a very roundabout way of doing things.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

have you tried a big library. I paid the out of state $50 free to join free library of Philadelphia, from UK. they have a lot of audiobooks!

what is the 60+ hour book title ?
post it & someone may say " they also stock that, here..."

PS you can sometimes get around geo-restrictions with a VPN; more roundabout-ness yes, but if it lets you shop, then go for it. ( depends if the sites you wish to buy from are also fussy enough to check your credit card issuing country)

Last edited by cybmole; 03-31-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:59 AM   #11
bartveld
Evangelist

It never occurred to me to use a library in another country. I'll look into that.
Tolstoy's War and Peace is 60+. But I have the same probleem with Alison Weir's The Life of Elizabeth I which is 23 hrs. but is cut off at 1,5 hrs.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Surely war and peace is public domain ?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

http://www.loyalbooks.com/book/war-a...by-leo-tolstoy
Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

i checked; free Library of P has war & peace as an unprotected mp3 audio book., i'd have to place a hold to borrow it, but in my experience, holds with those guys turn around quite quickly.
they have the Alison weir Elizabeth i book ,but not the audio book. they do have 2 other audio books by her though

but what they also have as a "recommend" option, and in several cases they have acquired a title after i (& maybe others) have suggested it. so if you are patient....

Last edited by cybmole; 03-31-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
@catlady: Yes, SoundTaxi is a legit copy.
@cybmole: rerecording in realtime is hardly an option with a 60+ hour book.
Yes, Ondesoft is Mac-only, so that won't work for me.

I'm surprised by the dearth of answers to my issue. Looking at how many users of ebooks are busy deDRMing their books I would expect the same dislike of DRM and unusual formats in the world of audiobooks. Ah well, thanks for your answers and let's all keep looking...
Re SoundTaxi. By legit, do you mean paid and registered? The unpaid version has a time limit. The paid versions do not. I routinely use the cheapest paid version to convert aa files to mp3; it's kind of slow--takes maybe 30-40 percent of the time of the book to convert (the more expensive version is quicker), but it's worked fine for me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote