Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Kindle Apps Coming

Per Amazon press release: AMAZON ANNOUNCES KINDLE DEVELOPMENT KIT--SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS CAN NOW BUILD ACTIVE CONTENT FOR KINDLE

SEATTLE, Jan 21, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- (NASDAQ: AMZN)--For the past two years, Amazon has welcomed authors and publishers to directly upload and sell content in the Kindle Store through the self-service Kindle publishing platform. Today, Amazon announced that it is inviting software developers to build and upload active content that will be available in the Kindle Store later this year. The new Kindle Development Kit gives developers access to programming interfaces, tools and documentation to build active content for Kindle--the #1 bestselling, most wished for, and most gifted product across all categories on Amazon. Developers can learn more about the Kindle Development Kit today at http://www.amazon.com/kdk/ and sign up to be notified when the limited beta starts next month.

"We've heard from lots of developers over the past two years who are excited to build on top of Kindle," said Ian Freed, Vice President, Amazon Kindle. "The Kindle Development Kit opens many possibilities--we look forward to being surprised by what developers invent."

The Kindle Development Kit enables developers to build active content that leverages Kindle's unique combination of seamless and invisible 3G wireless delivery over Amazon Whispernet, high-resolution electronic paper display that looks and reads like real paper, and long battery life of seven days with wireless activated. For example, Handmark is building an active Zagat guide featuring their trusted ratings, reviews and more for restaurants in cities around the world, and Sonic Boom is building word games and puzzles.

"As the leading worldwide publisher of mobile games, EA Mobile has had the privilege of collaborating with many dynamic and innovative companies in bringing exciting gaming experiences to new platforms," says Adam Sussman, Vice President of Worldwide Publishing, EA Mobile. "Working with Amazon, we look forward to bringing some of the world's most popular and fun games to Kindle and their users."

Starting next month, participants in the limited beta will be able to download the Kindle Development Kit, access developer support, test content on Kindle, and submit finished content. Those wait-listed will be invited to participate as space becomes available. The Kindle Development Kit includes sample code, documentation, and the Kindle Simulator, which helps developers build and test their content by simulating the 6-inch Kindle and 9.7-inch Kindle DX on Mac, PC, and Linux desktops.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Here are the initial "rules"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000476231

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
let the non expandable memory discussions begin
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Maybe a basement software developer will put out a "folders" app... something that is obviously beyond Amazon's ability.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
From the "rules":

not be a generic reader

Not unexpected, but a shame. I do rather like my K2, but I'd feel just a little bit happier if it were "future-proofable" by way of a third-party ePub reader app.
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
jft
Enthusiast
jft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
I don't think that's going to be a problem. If they give us the proper tools to do real software development nobody forces us to use amazon's distribution channel. Amazon is only able to control what's sold on their website. So we are just releasing the "nice" stuff here.

Of course there will be some restrictions like signed software packages and so on. But hey, as far as I know is Sony's PS3 the only device that still resists hack attempts

I just hope it is a C++ SDK
jft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jft View Post
I just hope it is a C++ SDK
The framework is java, so this is doubtful.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #8
jft
Enthusiast
jft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
Oh, ok. Nice to know. Do you have some links where I can find more detailed information about that topic? Which java version / runtime and so on. Maybe PM. Thx.
jft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jft View Post
Oh, ok. Nice to know. Do you have some links where I can find more detailed information about that topic? Which java version / runtime and so on. Maybe PM. Thx.
I'm not sure about version numbers (I don't really do java... until next month anyway ) but it's J2ME.

J2ME has built in support for the 3g/GSM data stuff (which I'm assuming is why Kindle/Nook use Java instead of natively compiled apps), and speed optimizations for the ARM processor via Jazelle (which I'm also assuming is one of the reasons the Nook is slow -- last I checked Android's java didn't use Jazelle)
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #10
Lemming
Lemming began at the beginning.

Device: Various
IIRC it's actually not J2ME, it's blackdown's 1.4 JVM. It uses a custom AWT layer to write to the screen - there have been a few threads on the developer forum here about it.

Interesting move, although I can't see a lot of potential for apps other than ones fixing the defects in Amazon's offerings (folders, PDF navigation).

And right - I'm pretty sure Android doesn't use Jazelle because it doesn't use Java bytecode. Google have their own JVM (Dalvik) which is fundamentally different to the JVM - it's register based instead of stack based, for example, and has no JIT.
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Maybe a basement software developer will put out a "folders" app... something that is obviously beyond Amazon's ability.
That was my first thought too. Though I'd be even happier if it could be made to support tags.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
willCode4Beer
willCode4Beer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Some links:

Amazon's API: http://kdk-javadocs.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

JPBP: http://java.sun.com/javame/reference/apis/jsr217/

FAQ: https://kindlepublishing.amazon.com/...t?id=200436000
willCode4Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Good references Code4Beer
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Wilkinson
Wilkinson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcleod View Post
From the "rules":

not be a generic reader

Not unexpected, but a shame. I do rather like my K2, but I'd feel just a little bit happier if it were "future-proofable" by way of a third-party ePub reader app.
What prevents users from installing "unsigned" programs directly through their own local computer?
Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
When are apps going to be available for the Kindle? I'd love a word-processing app with a built-in spell-checker!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote