Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2024, 12:10 PM   #1
b00kwyrm
b00kwyrm began at the beginning.

Device: KT3, PW5 16Gb, KT5
Deregister Kindle erased docs dir; try different sideload dir?

tl;dr
Should I avoid sideloading books into the documents folder to prevent "Deregister Kindle" from erasing my library and hiding my sideloaded books from Kindle Home/Library and casual snoopers?

---

Stumbling along with my adventures in ereading. JB'd my used Kindle 8th generation. Sideloaded a few books with Calibre, registered my Kindle to get access to my online books.

As a result of registering my Kindle, picked up "Swipe to Unlock" lockscreen ads (the Amazon version of gonorrhea) even though I never signed up for that when I was gifted the Kindle (we can skip the discussion about that though 'cuz like most STDs and beggars you can make them go away with a little money).

Had enough fun with sharing my Kindle with the Amazon Mother****
Spoiler:
Mothership
and deregistered the Kindle. Lockscreen ads still there but everything in documents disappeared including Kual. Back to Calibre to reload the books and reinstall KUAL with mrpackages and ";log mrpi".

As I might take advantage of intermittently connecting my Kindle in the future while travelling away from my Calibre computer/server, I'd like to avoid nuking my Calibre books. I can always reinstall the KUAL bin with my phone but does creating a new directory for sideloaded books other than documents make sense by preventing losing my library?

Would it hide sideloaded books from Kindle Home/Library and muggles playing with the ereader?

Is there any benefit to deregistering the Kindle or are most of you running JB'd Kindle with Rename Binary or renameotabin extension and not worrying about it?
b00kwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:38 PM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
That delete / clear "removable storage" contents on deregister is the default behavior that can be (or at least it used to be able do that as recent as firmware 5.13.6 on PW3, that was the only time and the last time I needed to test that feature) disabled on Kindle with a jailbreak (and terminal emulator or SSH access) by creating an empty file with filename "DONT_DELETE_CONTENT_ON_DEREGISTRATION" at "/var/local/system/" location, so the full absolute path for the file is:

Code:
/var/local/system/DONT_DELETE_CONTENT_ON_DEREGISTRATION
IIRC deregister clears everything from "/mnt/us" (= what you see as a removable drive when connecting via USB cable), not just books inside "documents" ( = /mnt/us/documents).

Last edited by shamanNS; 01-08-2024 at 04:43 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2024, 04:43 PM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
"Lockscreen ads still there" - these tend to have a finite timeout period, like a few day, IIRC. So if you deregistered and left it for some time, ads will be gone.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote