Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 01-31-2023, 09:42 PM   #1
ldxza
ldxza began at the beginning.

Device: Linux tablet
Viewer is slow

Hi,

So, I am having issues with the viewer app; even when set to page mode. It would take time to load a page (especially with CBZ files with lots of images). Flow mode would be worse as it would be slow and jump to various points in the book. Granted, I am using a Asus transformer laptop with just an under-powered Atom CPU.

But, if I use things like Okular, everything is smooth with its flow mode (even with huge books). Only reason why I can't use Okular is because it doesn't have great touch support. If I go full screen for example, I can't get out of it unless I attach the keyboard again. Otherwise, I would just use Okular as a replacement.

So, is there a way to make the viewer more responsive? For anyone not aware, this is a Linux laptop/tablet. Not Windows (I completely hate Windows today); not that Windows would work decently on this device anyways.
ldxza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC CBZ is rendered as a single HTML file with all images embedded, on a memory constrained device that will cause swapping and hence slowness. The reason its done that way is because otherwise it will not work in multiple pages per screen mode.

You could convert your CBZ to EPUB that might slpit up the images into one per html file if the conversion doesnt you can always plit manually.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2023, 10:14 PM   #3
ldxza

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC CBZ is rendered as a single HTML file with all images embedded, on a memory constrained device that will cause swapping and hence slowness. The reason its done that way is because otherwise it will not work in multiple pages per screen mode.

You could convert your CBZ to EPUB that might slpit up the images into one per html file if the conversion doesnt you can always plit manually.
Okay. But I also have an issue with big Mobi files too. I forgot to mention that.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:41 PM   #4
ldxza

Just would like to mention that my screen is 800x1280 when in portrait mode. Which output profile would be best for this so that the images fit the screen properly?
Old 01-31-2023, 11:59 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldxza View Post
Okay. But I also have an issue with big Mobi files too. I forgot to mention that.
MOBI files are also one large HTML file. Convert them to EPUB and you will be fine.
Advert
Old 02-01-2023, 12:00 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Just would like to mention that my screen is 800x1280 when in portrait mode. Which output profile would be best for this so that the images fit the screen properly?
It doesnt matter the viewer automatically scales images to fit.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:05 AM   #7
ldxza

Quote:
MOBI files are also one large HTML file. Convert them to EPUB and you will be fine.
I discovered that. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:07 AM   #8
ldxza

Quote:
It doesnt matter the viewer automatically scales images to fit.
How? Because I have used the output profile and the images don't fit properly after converting. So, I've been trying to figure this out.

Last edited by ldxza; 02-01-2023 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:47 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
How? Because I have used the output profile and the images don't fit properly after converting. So, I've been trying to figure this out.
Dont fit when viewing what file? A cbz?
Old 02-01-2023, 04:54 AM   #10
ldxza

Quote:
No. I convert the CBZ file to Epub or PDF. But if I keep it as a CBZ file, it will fit properly.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:17 AM   #11
ldxza

Quote:
Strange thing is, the first page fits properly.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:24 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
No. I convert the CBZ file to Epub or PDF. But if I keep it as a CBZ file, it will fit properly.
Works for me converting cbz to epub and viewing in paged mode
Old 02-01-2023, 05:38 AM   #13
ldxza

Quote:
Works for me converting cbz to epub and viewing in paged mode
What settings do you use?
Old 02-01-2023, 05:38 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

all default
Old 02-01-2023, 05:48 AM   #15
ldxza

Quote:
all default
Tried it. Does not fit the screen at all. Only the first page fits. I wonder why.

Tags
linux, slow, viewer