Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #16
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Hi,
Today I'm asking for help. After hours of trying to get pure Xorg working (because if it does, the speed will be incredibly increased) without the need to take screenshots, hence displaying directly to the framebuffer, I don't know what to do. I've tried several methods, experienced with my Libra's framebuffer with pickel (showpic) and... even that didn't work, it returned a distorted image on my screen. I also did
Code:
cat /dev/urandom | /usr/local/Kobo pickel showpic
That worked. But it just prints a bunch of noise and I can't know if it is properly scaled or not.
If you want, please, I'd like help. Just post your ideas below! (or should I start a Git repo?)

Thanks, any suggestion is much appreciated.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:16 PM   #17
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_eO...icolasMailloux
NiMa has released a video!
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 05:29 AM   #18
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Hi,
Today I'm asking for help. After hours of trying to get pure Xorg working (because if it does, the speed will be incredibly increased) without the need to take screenshots, hence displaying directly to the framebuffer, I don't know what to do.)
You're going to have to write at least a small amount of C (or Rust or Go) code. I haven't looked into the existing options, but if I were to do it from scratch, I'd do it with FBInk.

One way would be to compile parts of Xorg from source with some modifications to use the fb.

Another way would be to use tigervnc+libvnc+FBInk to display the current screen. libx11+fbink would be another option, but although the code may be easier to work with, you might need to deal with damage tracking and optimization manually.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #19
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
You're going to have to write at least a small amount of C (or Rust or Go) code. I haven't looked into the existing options, but if I were to do it from scratch, I'd do it with FBInk.

One way would be to compile parts of Xorg from source with some modifications to use the fb.

Another way would be to use tigervnc+libvnc+FBInk to display the current screen. libx11+fbink would be another option, but although the code may be easier to work with, you might need to deal with damage tracking and optimization manually.
I thought of all of those options... Recompiling Xorg would be the best, but... Still I have to get myself in touch with C/C++... Well maybe I'll try...

Another idea that I had this morning waking up was that I could (maybe) write a script (ex./dev/fb1) which would "divert" xf86-video-fbdev to output there instead. This script would point to (maybe) FBInk displaying the raw stream.

Speaking of raw stream, do you know how to print one with FBInk? I saw Python scripts to print raw RGBA images and it worked, but what I'd really need is just a "framebuffer" at /dev/fb1 which could act exactly if it was real...

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, you *did* look at that link, did you not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Looking at the Kindle Alpine images might be of some help... (hint).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #21
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Yeah, sure... I didn't quite understand the code though...
Old 01-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #22
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've attached a picture of the output.

Code:
[root@pixie root]# uname -p
unknown
Whaaaa?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uk.png
Views:	552
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	184552  
Old 01-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #23
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post

I've attached a picture of the output.

Code:
[root@pixie root]# uname -p
unknown
Whaaaa?
That's ... strange. And
Code:
uname -a
instead?

Edit: just did this on my Libra. Reported unknown too. Definitely change this to
Code:
uname -a
2nd EDIT: I think we're not on the right thread
Old 01-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #24
Elektron
Banned

I've attached a screenshot of the output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uname-a.png
Views:	205
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	184553  
Old 01-06-2021, 11:11 AM   #25
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
I've attached a screenshot of the output.
Ok, this is more like it. You effectively have an armv7l processor. Therefore, the armv7 minirootfs should work no problem with you.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #26
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa/NiLuJe View Post
Ok now I *kind of* understand what it does. If I'm correct: this watches for Xorg to update a window's content (xdamage) and then prints it to the screen with FBInk.
Then I *might* be able to do that with an existing X server, might I?
Old 01-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #27
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Quote:
I thought of all of those options... Recompiling Xorg would be the best, but... Still I have to get myself in touch with C/C++... Well maybe I'll try...
Quote:
I must have missed that when skimming the thread. Thanks for reminding us before we went and started reinventing the wheel!

Quote:
Any specific part, or just where to start?
Old 01-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #28
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
I must have missed that when skimming the thread. Thanks for reminding us before we went and started reinventing the wheel!

Any specific part, or just where to start?
If you look at my last post (before this one), you'll see I have *some* idea of what it does. Still though, I absolutely have *no* idea how to apply it in my context, since I'm a total noob in C/C++ and it's barely if I'm capable of debugging "make/gcc/g++" errors.
If someone could maybe guide me or if a similar Python method exists, that would be awesome!
Thanks!
Old 01-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #29
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Ok now I *kind of* understand what it does. If I'm correct: this watches for Xorg to update a window's content (xdamage) and then prints it to the screen with FBInk.
Then I *might* be able to do that with an existing X server, might I?
Yes, basically. You would run this on an existing X server (e.g. tigervnc, Xvfb, etc), and it would use XDAMAGE to watch for changes and pass them to FBInk. You'd still need to deal with input, though.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #30
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Yes, basically. You would run this on an existing X server (e.g. tigervnc, Xvfb, etc), and it would use XDAMAGE to watch for changes and pass them to FBInk. You'd still need to deal with input, though.
I think input is a closed concern for the moment. I managed to watch for input events with evtest and with a small Python program, pass the x/y coordinates to xdotool. You can check the .py file in the main post to see the code. Pretty simple and reliable. No multi-touch, but better than nothing...
Thanks for the explanation, I think I am nearing even further my goal.

Any idea how to set this up in Python? Is it possible?
Thanks

Tags
kobo, linux, xorg