Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
DiapDealer, how fast does your tea kettle bring the water up to the proper temperature? It might be worth getting if it's noticeably faster than a stove.
I've never really timed it, but would guess it's around 3 to 3.5 minutes for a full (1.7L) pot. Less if I don't need much water. All I know is that it's pretty-close to the same amount of time it takes for me to hand-grind enough coffee for my press. I got it for the temperature control more than anything. Various temps between 160° and boiling. I drink coffee, various teas, herbal teas and wanted to take the guess-work out of the suggested temps. The stovetop method always included the extra time needed for me to "let it cool a little after boiling" method. I'm not an avid "guesser" at all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #32
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Gee, I didn't even know that electric tea kettles were a thing. I've just used traditional whistling tea kettles on the stove all my life. Live and learn.
The safety controls that are on some electric kettles can be very important for some users. My mother-in-law kept boiling dry her stovetop tea kettles because she couldn't hear the whistle and would forget. She drinks tea a lot, but using a microwave to boil water wasn't a good option because the water was just never hot enough for her. She wouldn't be able to lift the heavier electric kettles

We actually bought a single cup unit called a Café Valet for her. There is no burner, the water boils and drips through to the cup then shuts off. It takes 4 minutes. We've replaced it 2-3 times already, and she loves it. She uses it 3-5 times every day. Bought one for my mom too, and we have one as well. I think we bought directly from the manufacturer last time as they aren't available on Amazon anymore.

There are similar devices from several companies.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #33
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Gee, I didn't even know that electric tea kettles were a thing. I've just used traditional whistling tea kettles on the stove all my life. Live and learn.

DiapDealer, how fast does your tea kettle bring the water up to the proper temperature? It might be worth getting if it's noticeably faster than a stove.
The main advantage of the electric ones is that after they bring the water to a boil they beep and then keep it at 211F / 99C.

If you want faster boiling times then you can spend gobs of money on an induction range, and probably have to replace your cookware since stainless steel doesn't work with it (unless it's been designed for induction).
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #34
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I got it for the temperature control more than anything. Various temps between 160° and boiling. I drink coffee, various teas, herbal teas and wanted to take the guess-work out of the suggested temps.
Has anyone ever done any taste tests for overly hot water ruining coffees or teas? And on the other hand I'm a bit "tone deaf" when it comes to subtle tastes and on top of that I add all sorts of stuff to my coffee or tea; you'd probably puke if I listed them all.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Has anyone ever done any taste tests for overly hot water ruining coffees or teas? And on the other hand I'm a bit "tone deaf" when it comes to subtle tastes and on top of that I add all sorts of stuff to my coffee or tea; you'd probably puke if I listed them all.
Yes. I'm sure many millions have done taste tests over the millennia.
It's not as if these things were invented out of thin air. Tea brewing temps have been an artform since before thermometers were invented.

All I can say about coffee is that my weekend french pressed is most definitely a delicate ballet of times, weights, temps, and grind. I got a scale and this kettle and now most flavor fluctuations are gone.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The safety controls that are on some electric kettles can be very important for some users. My mother-in-law kept boiling dry her stovetop tea kettles because she couldn't hear the whistle and would forget. She drinks tea a lot, but using a microwave to boil water wasn't a good option because the water was just never hot enough for her. She wouldn't be able to lift the heavier electric kettles

We actually bought a single cup unit called a Café Valet for her. There is no burner, the water boils and drips through to the cup then shuts off. It takes 4 minutes. We've replaced it 2-3 times already, and she loves it. She uses it 3-5 times every day. Bought one for my mom too, and we have one as well. I think we bought directly from the manufacturer last time as they aren't available on Amazon anymore.

There are similar devices from several companies.
Years ago, I had to add a 'spring wound timer" (commonly found in the US bath for heat/fan) switched outlet for the GE teakettle because my parents would forget it was in use. (I do proper electrical work. it was a wall outlet with the switch in the next gang. Nothing rinky-dink )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #37
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
I used my stovetop kettle until I started drinking white, green, and oolong teas, all of which require a temperature lower than boiling (212 F/100 C) used for black tea. I bought an electric kettle so I could program the exact temperature needed.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:11 PM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I've never really timed it, but would guess it's around 3 to 3.5 minutes for a full (1.7L) pot. Less if I don't need much water. All I know is that it's pretty-close to the same amount of time it takes for me to hand-grind enough coffee for my press. I got it for the temperature control more than anything. Various temps between 160° and boiling. I drink coffee, various teas, herbal teas and wanted to take the guess-work out of the suggested temps. The stovetop method always included the extra time needed for me to "let it cool a little after boiling" method. I'm not an avid "guesser" at all.
ok, thanks
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:20 PM   #39
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The main advantage of the electric ones is that after they bring the water to a boil they beep and then keep it at 211F / 99C.

If you want faster boiling times then you can spend gobs of money on an induction range, and probably have to replace your cookware since stainless steel doesn't work with it (unless it's been designed for induction).
I've got an induction hotplate that I bought to test out the induction method before I replaced my range/oven a few years ago. It's nice, but I went with a normal electric range. Cookware was the main reason.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes. I'm sure many millions have done taste tests over the millennia.
It's not as if these things were invented out of thin air. Tea brewing temps have been an artform since before thermometers were invented.

All I can say about coffee is that my weekend french pressed is most definitely a delicate ballet of times, weights, temps, and grind. I got a scale and this kettle and now most flavor fluctuations are gone.
Yea, the coffee maker I use is temperature calibrated. I also use a scale and measure the water for the coffee. I get a very consistent taste.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #41
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I ignore 5 star reviews. I read the 1 stars, but with a jaded eye, and most of those I reject. It's the 2's, 3's and 4's that are generally more useful.

The other day I was looking for a short (6") right angle connector HDMI cable. I found something that was somewhat close, and it was rated "#1 in the Disco Danceware" category, or something bizarre like that. Occasionally I'll be looking for something very specialized and find one with 7000+ reviews, when I'm pretty sure that not more then 3 people worldwide could have ever considered buying such a thing.

Amazon reviews should be considered mostly fake IMHO. When I use them, mostly I look for a very technical review that hopefully describes some aspect of the product that I am interested in. I always ignore the "Buy this, it's the best!" and the "Don't buy this crap!" useless reviews. I saw one once where it was reported "DOA, right out of the box!" Uhm, it was for a drafting eraser (not an electric one, just a piece-of-rubber one). I wonder what they expected it to do. Dance?
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:27 AM   #42
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I also look at the have a question section for more information. Some of the people asking questions must never look at the specs. I see lots of questions asked that are even in the title description of the item.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #43
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:09 AM   #44
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I also look at the have a question section for more information. Some of the people asking questions must never look at the specs. I see lots of questions asked that are even in the title description of the item.
Apache
I second your opinion. Sometimes the questions are easily found on the description of the product. I have found that the online reviews will help a lot.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #45
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I don't understand. How do they "scoop up positive reviews from other products" and put them on their own? Surely sellers don't have write access to reviews? The most they can do is hire people to open accounts and enter fake reviews.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote