Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
Tominator
Tominator007
Tominator began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Command line after conversion

Does anyone know if it would be possible to create a plugin that would execute a command line command OR at least a .bat file after conversion?

I am converting large EPUB files to DOCX files and it takes longer than 30 min to an hour. I would like to setup some sort of notification system to let me know when conversion is done. A command line environment would be ideal since I can work with command lines.

For example, would like to trigger a command to send a notification to my phone, or alert sound, or to EventGhost, or custom pop-up window, etc right after conversion is completed.

I'm guessing that this would be somewhat easy but don't know how to go about it. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe this already exists but I haven't found it.

1) I'm do not know python
2) for Windows PC environment

Thank you
Tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Two suggestions,

long shot - try converting to RTF rather than DOCX, might be faster.

Maybe you can make use of this ==>> Command Line Interface - ebook-convert.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Tominator
Tominator007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Two suggestions,

long shot - try converting to RTF rather than DOCX, might be faster.

Maybe you can make use of this ==>> Command Line Interface - ebook-convert.

BR
Yeah, I've tried RTF. Just as slow and doesn't retain all of bookmarks, cross reference, etc. Also, the link provided is for PRE-conversion.

But thank you for your quick response.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre already does popup a system notification on conversion completion. Exactly what form that notification takes depends on your system settings.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #5
Tominator
Tominator007

Yeah, I have windows 7 so all I have is the system tray popup balloons which I haven't figured how to intercept and redirect.

I guess it isn't possible to do a window shell command from within a plugin upon conversion completion?

If it is possible, I might be able to figure it out myself. Just need a nudge in right direction.

It's not super important that I can have this done, but to make it a bit easier. This way I wouldn't have to check every 10 min to see if long conversions are done.

Thank you for the reply. Btw, wonderful piece of software.
Advert
Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not from a plugin, but you can do it easily enough with a trivial line patch to the calibre source code. Simply edit the file notify.py and change get_notifier() to return your own custom notifier that can do whatever you want on notifications.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
Tominator
Tominator007

Thanks much! Will give it a go.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

And here is how to run calibre from source: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html