Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Shecky
Shecky doesn't litterShecky doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket PRS-300
Sony Pocket vs. Touch (or other?)

Trying to decide between these two; I had just about narrowed my choices to the PRS-600 Touch, but then I started seeing comments about glare from the touch-sensitive surface, and that may be a killer for me, as the sine qua non of whatever reader I'm going to buy is readability. So, I've got a couple of questions for folks who've handled both or who have strong impressions of one.

1) Readability. IS glare a real issue with the PRS-600? If so, how bad?
2) Another aspect of readability: clarity of small fonts. How crisp is the smallest font in each?
3) Following with small font sizes: frequency of "page turns". I've only seen a Touch and was reasonably pleased with how much text could fit on a page in the smallest font; is there a noticeably high rate of page turns on the Pocket?

I originally was insisting on a 6" screen, but the more of those I saw, the more I realized that none of them fit what would have been my ideal prerequisite: a reader the size of a paperback book, with a text box equal to that of the paperback. Ideally, I'd like a reader that's VERY low on buttons/keys, with a maximized screen-to-reader ratio (i.e., a screen that takes up as much space on the front of the reader as possible, with really only a small "frame" around it and a few navigation buttons). Heck, if you know of a reader that fits those parameters, reads as many formats as the two Sonys AND costs about the same, let me know and I'll GLADLY look at that!

PS: Not looking for all the bells and whistles; I don't need to download a book whenever and wherever I think of it, I don't need to search on the mobile device, I don't need a dictionary, etc. I just want to read the freakin' book.
Shecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Hi Shecky! I just did a comparison of these two readers plus the Pocketbook 360 here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86531

I'm also considering throwing another reader into my evaluation mix here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-008-_-Product

(disclaimer -- I haven't been able to find much info about the Mentor, but a 6" e-ink screen reader for $130... I might have to find out if it's too good to be true)

I actually read fine off of a 5" screen. The thing is, it's such a minimal movement to push a button to turn the page, it's not that big of a deal if you have to do it more often. That said, I'm still exploring 6" screen options (obviously).

As for the glare issue. It's totally a matter of personal opinion. I've seen reviews ranging from "absolutely unreadable" to "crystal clear" and everywhere in between. One thing is for sure, it's not as clear and high-contrast as the non-touch screens.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Shecky

Max, thanks for chiming in - very informative!

Any others care to chime in? Different points of view? I'd like to see all sides of this.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I have a PRS600 the glare is that bad I have only read half a book on it.. I rather use my nook as the screen is so clear it really does look like paper and in direct sunlight it still looks good... the PRS600 is like reading black on grey and with any light source nearby it just shines off the screen.

You really need to see the difference yourself, go to a store and compare a few brands you will see what I mean
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
The kobo appears to me anyway to have the same screen as a nook, so it should be very nice to use
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Shecky

Good to know, iandix. Any more input from other viewpoints?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Presume you have looked at the pocketbook 360?
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Shecky

Yeah. But for almost $100 more than the Pocket? That would be no. Definitely not disparaging your suggestion, though, because that looks like a nice unit. It's just that budget's a concern, to the point that I was considering only the Kobo at $150 until I got some precious overtime and would be able to afford $200 for the unit. Still, any savings is welcome. And keep the suggestions coming!

Last edited by Shecky; 06-15-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I use the PRS-600 and glare is very minor for me. I read outside a lot, and it's never been a problem outdoors. Indoors, it's simply fixed by tilting the device a little to the left or right.

Kobo is limited in format support, iirc.

The Touch is the most minimal in terms of keys. The Kobo's d-pad is bulky for my tastes.

And to counterpoint iandix, I found the nook's LCD much more distracting than the glare on my 600.

Ideally, you should go out and try the devices yourself!
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Shecky

I did (except for the Kobo, obviously). Broke down today, went to the store and got a PRS-300. So far, it's pretty freakin' awesome.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congrats on your purchase The 300 is definitely a nice little reader
Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I love the 300's screen, aside from the refreshrate. If it was a little bigger, though... *drool*
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #13
Shecky

I don't know if I'm simply getting used to it or if I'm getting over my prejudices against a smaller screen and all the stuff people have pointed out as shortcomings, but I'm really liking the 300.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
maxbookworm
Addict

You know, with all the exploring I've been doing with other readers, I may just be coming 'round to the opinion that the PRS-300 is my favorite reader, so I completely understand your POV, Shecky. Come join us on the Sony sub-forum. Everyone's always saying we need more 300 fans there
Old 06-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
Shecky

Almost done reading my first downloaded book; it's good I got this thing so I'd have something to do while home sick (freaking summer cold turned into sinus infection and was threatening to go into the ears when it got caught yesterday).