Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #151
avresbo
Enthusiast
avresbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD / Kobo Libra H2O
Deleted

Last edited by avresbo; 09-10-2020 at 01:13 PM.
avresbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #152
avresbo
Enthusiast
avresbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD / Kobo Libra H2O
How can I avoid this to happen?

—How can I avoid

appears as

— How can I avoid
avresbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #153
steveparry
Connoisseur
steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I posted a question in the wrong topic earlier (v2 of Kepubify). I use a Mac. I can't code so use the Terminal seldom. I can't get it to even install on my MacBook running Catalina. The 'installer' is just a text file not an application. Is there a video or clearer instructions for installing and using it? I currently have to run Windows 10 in a virtual machine to use the drag & drop functionality on that version which is a pain. But it produces beautiful results! Thanks.
steveparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #154
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Unfortunately I think that your best bet is to learn some basic terminal commands, and to learn to use it that way -- the experience, while somewhat painful, will be extremely valuable. Comparing the terminal interface to coding is a bit mis-guided as they're not in any way related, so don't let that intimidate you. (As a professional developer, I know many developers who still cannot use a terminal [which is always shocking], and I know many non developers who are perfectly content at the terminal -- the skills are orthogonal)

When you install kepubify, it generally gets installed to somewhere on your system that is within the search path for executables -- which basically means, that as soon as you open the terminal you can type kepubify, and it'll run -- that's it. When you do that, it will print out a list of switches that you can pass to kepubify to make it do different things. Reading that list is 90% of what you need to know.

The first line of the output says:

> Usage: kepubify [options] input_path [input_path]...

The convention is that stuff in [] is optional, and the stuff that isn't in [] must be typed in... so, what this means is that at the simplest, you merely have to type:

kepubify <epub_file>

And it converts the epub file to a kepub and saves it to the folder that you're currently in -- done. The problem is that you also have to understand a little bit about folders and the filesystem. If you're using finder, you're half way there. The folder that you'll start in (on a mac) is /Users/<username>/. The slashes shouldn't scare you, they're just the divider between the names in the hierarchy. The first slash is the equivalent of saying "my hard drive", and the folders are just your user's home directory, which shows up in the Finder on the left side as your username.

Let's say that the epub is something that you downloaded. You can simply do:

cd Downloads
kepubify <downloaded filename>
ls *.kepub
cp <converted filename> /Volumes/KOBOeReader
exit

That's it... The first command changes to your Downloads folder. (no slashes required, it's relative to your starting point), the second one converts the book (be sure to substitute the stuff in <> with the actual filename), the third lists (ls, short for list) all files (*) ending with .kepub [so that you know what the output filename was, to use it in the next command], and the fourth copies the file to your kobo, and the last closes the terminal. Be sure to eject your Kobo and you're done. Note that you can also do the copy with the finder, by dragging and dropping the file, so everything after the kepubify command can be done via the GUI.

If you want to do more advanced things, you can read the stuff that kepubify prints out if you run it without any extra parameters and try to add some additional switches to customize the behavior.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-29-2020 at 02:48 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #155
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Ah, I see that you also had trouble installing it, which I missed the first time that I read your message.

Yes, it is a bit tricky since they don't provide an installer. The simplest answer is to run this command once:

chmod +x ~/Downloads/kepubify-darwin-64bit

...then substitute every place where I said "kepubify" above, with:

~/Downloads/kepubify-darwin-64bit

Alternatively, if you want things to work the way I described above, run these two commands once, then everything will work as I described above:

chmod +x ~/Downloads/kepubify-darwin-64bit
sudo mv ~/Downloads/kepubify-darwin-64bit /usr/local/bin/kepubify

The first command makes the downloaded file executable, the second moves it to a location where executables are expected to be found, and renames it to the shorter "kepubify" name at the same time.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #156
steveparry
Connoisseur
steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I retried installing and was asked my password which seemed to install it. Then tried the first conversion which seemed to work ie I saw the same output that the Windows version gives when I drop files on it. See:

Last login: Tue Sep 29 21:29:36 on ttys000
steveparry@MacBook-Pro ~ % kepubify/Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting\ Conversion/A\ Natural\ History\ of\ Love\ \(2011\)\ -\ Diane\ Ackerman.epub
zsh: no such file or directory: kepubify/Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting Conversion/A Natural History of Love (2011) - Diane Ackerman.epub
steveparry@MacBook-Pro ~ % kepubify</Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting\ Conversion/A\ Natural\ History\ of\ Love\ \(2011\)\ -\ Diane\ Ackerman.epub >
zsh: parse error near `\n'
steveparry@MacBook-Pro ~ % kepubify /Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting\ Conversion/A\ Natural\ History\ of\ Love\ \(2011\)\ -\ Diane\ Ackerman.epub
Kepubify v3.1.4

[ 1/ 1] Converting /Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting Conversion/A Natural History of Love (2011) - Diane Ackerman.epub

1 total: 1 converted, 0 copied, 0 skipped, 0 errored
steveparry@MacBook-Pro ~ %

But I can't find the converted file! Edit: I found the files! Kepubify is converting them and putting them back onto the /users/ folder. See attached screenshot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xTdsi6PG2XiZaWgv8

Last edited by steveparry; 09-29-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #157
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparry View Post
Well, I retried installing and was asked my password which seemed to install it. Then tried the first conversion which seemed to work ie I saw the same output that the Windows version gives when I drop files on it. See:

Last login: Tue Sep 29 21:29:36 on ttys000
steveparry@MacBook-Pro ~ % kepubify/Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting\ Conversion/A\ Natural\ History\ of\ Love\ \(2011\)\ -\ Diane\ Ackerman.epub
zsh: no such file or directory: kepubify/Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting Conversion/A Natural History of Love (2011) - Diane Ackerman.epub
steveparry@MacBook-Pro ~ % kepubify</Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting\ Conversion/A\ Natural\ History\ of\ Love\ \(2011\)\ -\ Diane\ Ackerman.epub >
zsh: parse error near `\n'
steveparry@MacBook-Pro ~ % kepubify /Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting\ Conversion/A\ Natural\ History\ of\ Love\ \(2011\)\ -\ Diane\ Ackerman.epub
Kepubify v3.1.4

[ 1/ 1] Converting /Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting Conversion/A Natural History of Love (2011) - Diane Ackerman.epub

1 total: 1 converted, 0 copied, 0 skipped, 0 errored

But I can't find the converted file!
Not certain but it should have landed in your source ( /Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting Conversion/ ) directory since you did not specify an output directory.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #158
steveparry
Connoisseur

It landed at my home directory: users/steveparry/
Old 09-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #159
steveparry
Connoisseur

Hallelujah - it works! Only need to work out how to make it put converted files into same folder as originals.

Last edited by steveparry; 09-29-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #160
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It landed at my home directory: users/steveparry/
Taking a look at what I did and what you did, I had kepubify on the desktop but changed directory into my desktop folder where the epub lived. So it looks as if the location where you are when you launch kepubify is used as the output directory. I'd forgotten why I used ../../kepubify to launch kepubify.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #161
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Hallelujah - it works! Only need to work out how to make it put converted files into same folder as originals.
You could try adding -o ./Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting Conversion/ to your command line. This is assuming you are still launching kepubify from the same location.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #162
steveparry
Connoisseur

I put the Kepubify text file in my Applications folder.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #163
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I put the Kepubify text file in my Applications folder.
It's where Terminal is open that counts here. So if your prompt is steveparry@MacBook-Pro ~ %, you should be able to use the -o option I described.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #164
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
There is a --inplace option.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #165
steveparry
Connoisseur

Using "kepubify --inplace <path to epub>" puts the output in my Home folder, so doesn't work.

Using DNSB's suggestion doesn't work either. See below:

" steveparry@MacBook-Pro ~ % kepubify -o ./Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting Conversion/ /Users/steveparry/Desktop/Kepubifiying/Awaiting\ Conversion/The\ Rarest\ of\ the\ Rare\ Vanishing\ Animals\,\ Timeless\ Worlds\ by\ Diane\ Ackerman.epub
Error: scan input "Conversion/": stat Conversion/: no such file or directory

Nb Kepubify is in my Applications folder.

Steve

Last edited by steveparry; 09-30-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Tags
conversion, epub, kepub, kepubify