Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Blessings2all
Blessings2all began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
How to insert hard page breaks

I need to insert page breaks for each page in my ebook because it is a riddle book and each page is set up like this:

Quote:
Answer to previous riddle

Date

New riddle
(page break)

I have CS5 and I first set this book up for Kindle in Indesign. It worked perfectly. How can I do this for epub? By the way, I need 365 page returns so I'm looking for a method that is hopefully quick and painless.
Blessings2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can add page-break-before: always in the CSS. Although I think that not all readers support that.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
tincanbot
tincanbot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Using InDesign 5.0 I believe you can select the style upon which page breaks occur. This is done via the ePUB export menu in InDesign, under the Advanced tab, then under the Split Document instruction. If you've styled your paragraphs logically and consistently, you can just select that style you wish to have the eBook break at when you export.

I've been using 6.0 for a while so I'm having trouble exactly how 5.0 operates.

Last edited by tincanbot; 02-27-2013 at 05:10 PM.
tincanbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
The page-break-before: always value should be fairly universally supported, because it is trivial to support. It's the page-break-inside: avoid that will give you fits.

That said, you can guarantee that every reader will insert a page break if you put the answer in a separate file.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Blessings2all
Blessings2all began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Thanks a bunch! dgatwood, where would I insert that code? I'm a bit new to this. As far as your second suggestion goes, that would probably mean creating a Book in InDesign and then putting 365 documents in it, correct? By the way, I'm interested in publishing to NOOK and Kobo. Thanks again for all of your great help!
Blessings2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert