Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Post DRMless EBook Questions

The amazon kindle piqued my interest in dedicated e-book readers again (as well as a few friends of the family). Although it's ugly and feels like they're locking you in to one provider, it did make me google alternatives. One that caught my eye was the Cybook3.

I currently use a PDA for reading the odd book from project Gutenberg as well as Baen books. So have a combination of txt and mobipocket format books, both of which would be directly supported on the Cybook. So my current e-library, albeit a very small library compared to my paper one is not too big an issue in choosing a reader.

I'm also interested in reading some of my favorite authors in e-book format that are not available on Bean books. It's appealing due to the amount of space my fiction and reference books accumulated over the last few decades are beginning to take up.

I've found stores that sell in mobi-pocket format, which would work on the Cybook, however, they all come with DRM. I'd much rather buy in a format that I can later convert to work with a different reader should a manufacturer release a better reader. Which means not only am I looking for DRM less stores, but also stores that sell in a format that is not proprietary, or at least has tools available to convert from that format.

Ideally I'd like to keep all my books in a single format (is there an ebook standard? I read briefly about OEB, but no where appears to sell in that format?) then convert only as required to put the books on whatever reader I'm using at the time.

I've read a few topics that mention convertLit which opens the possibility of buying Lit books and converting them to an open format for archiving, then converting to mobipocket for reading on the Cybook. However, I'm a little against the idea of buying ebooks with DRM as it sends the impression that consumers are happy to have DRM and be locked in, when in reality they're probably stripping it and converting. So, I would much rather purchase books without DRM in the first place if at all possible

This is the reason I avoided iTunes when they sold only DRM'd music, despite the fact you could burn to cd then re-rip to mp3. I felt it just gave the wrong impression, so stuck to converting my existing CD's and buying from places like podshow (which incidentally opened my ears to indie music, much like Bean books has opened my eyes to many new authors I'd never have considered reading before).

So after that rather long winded build up, are there any stores that sell EBooks without DRM? I've spent a while googling, but the only store that turned up was Baen books, which I already use.

I suspect the answer is a resounding no. In which case I'd like to know what you do to limit the loss of access to books you've purchased? What format are you buying in, are you converting them?

I'm almost sold on the idea of a dedicated reader, just from the space saving and instant access via on-line purchase, but the format question is really keeping me from jumping in.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FictionWise sells multi-format (DRM-free) e-books. These are not the same books without DRM, but rather books from publishers who don't use DRM. FictionWise also sells e-books with DRM, and are a good place to buy e-books in general.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
So after that rather long winded build up, are there any stores that sell EBooks without DRM? I've spent a while googling, but the only store that turned up was Baen books, which I already use.
Fictionwise sell a moderate range of books in their "multiformat" DRM-free books, but it tends to be back-catalogue stuff. You aren't going to find any "best sellers" without DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Fictionwise sell a moderate range of books in their "multiformat" DRM-free books, but it tends to be back-catalogue stuff. You aren't going to find any "best sellers" without DRM.
Except, that is, for the best sellers from Baen. I'm not aware of anything from them hitting the very top of the NYT best sellers list, but several of their authors routinely hit either or both of the "NYT Best Sellers" (the top 10) and the "NYT Extended Best Sellers" (the top 30) lists. Think Weber, Flint, Ringo, Bujold, and so on.

On the other hand, if you meant to say "non-Baen best sellers" I would agree completely with your statement.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was referring to "Best Sellers" sold by Fictionwise. Rather amusingly, they re-sell a lot of Baen stuff - with DRM added to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
You aren't going to find any "best sellers" without DRM.
<pedant mode> What about The Bible?? </pedant mode>
Also, what you find may depend on where you look
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Nice to see I have missed a store

Although all the Clive Cussler books are only available in "secure mobipocket". Still, it's another store for me to keep an eye on. I'll have a good dig through their multi-format books later tonight, it may turn up a few of my preferred authors.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
<pedant mode> What about The Bible?? </pedant mode>
Also, what you find may depend on where you look
Most modern Bibles are also DRM protected and are copyright protected just like other books. Bible reading programs also impose their own DRM. There are a few modern Bibles that do not use DRM.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Nice to see I have missed a store

Although all the Clive Cussler books are only available in "secure mobipocket". Still, it's another store for me to keep an eye on. I'll have a good dig through their multi-format books later tonight, it may turn up a few of my preferred authors.
When something is DRM is is usually because the publisher or author wants it to be. The stores are typically not able to remove DRM if the publisher wants it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Mostly, though not always, it's the publishers that insist on DRM. I remember an interview with the head of Fictionwise where he said if he had his way they wouldn't use DRM because their Multi-Format books generally outsell the DRM'd titles by a large margins.

At present DRM is an inconvenience forced on us by corporate necessity.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote