Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Archos 705 Wifi

I somehow missed the announcement of the previous generation device, the 704Wifi. I have to say that this is a really nice device.

http://portableaudio.engadget.com/20...sically-a-704/
http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5...try=us&lang=en

So far, i have found a fansite:
http://forum.archosfans.com/index.php

I like this device. It is most of what I am looking for in a tablet.My only concern is that it's a closed device, and there is hardly anyone hacking it.

If this device was open, instead of closed, it would be a competitor for the Iliad, and Nokia's Internet Tablets.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to the Archos website, the 705 comes with a remote control that has a built in keyboard. (It's probably closer to a thumb-board.) But how many devices in this price range have a 7" touchscreen and a keyboard?

You know, I really think I might get this device. It has most everything I want.

big touchscreen
< 2 pounds
keyboard
Wifi
USB host

The main downside of this device is the difficulty of hacking it to provide more functions. The easiest way around this limitation might be to find or modify plug-ins for Opera, the web browser.

P.S. I think this should be moved to the Lounge, since the thread is rapidly becoming my love note to the 705.

Last edited by Nate the great; 11-06-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Advert
Old 11-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I have an Archos 604 WiFi. Since I was goibg to use it as a PVR and to bring on trips I was not disappointed and like it very much. The only thing I miss is being able to watch youtube videos. And it seems to be a very closed system and the people at archosfans forums are pessimistic about the probability to break the protection. So do not count on more functionality being available. Also check the forum about the 705 since I seem to remember some firmware bugs that people had problem with.

Me, I am going to check if I need a Nokia N810...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

The main downside of this device is the difficulty of hacking it to provide more functions. The easiest way around this limitation might be to find or modify plug-ins for Opera, the web browser.
I've learned a little more. I know for certain that the browser will do Flash, and I am almost sure that it will do Java. If it does Java, then I'll just dig up the applets I wrote for CS 1 and 2.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

It looks like the 705 will come out at the end of the month. I guess that means that we'll need the mobile version of the forum soon (hint, hint).

There is a review of the 705, and it has a clip of the keyboard in action. This clinched it. I am getting this device.

http://www.archoslounge.net/705-WiFi...evu-et-un.html
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

It's bad form to dig up old threads, but something happened that will interest at least a few people here.

Yesterday, someone announced that he had found a way to access the command line on the Archos 605/705/604. The devices are supposed to be locked down so you can't do this.

Apparently, you can execute command line arguments by setting up a new Wifi network connection and setting the command line as the password.

Here are his instructions:
http://code.google.com/p/arcwelder/

It's also being discussed here:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=11144

I don't have one yet. The Kindle was released while I was waiting for the 705, and I also have a rule of only one new gadget at a time. But the thought of a 7" tablet running Linux is seriously tempting.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
sloth
sloth began at the beginning.

Device: none?
i have a archos 705wifi 80gb. how do i delete these corrupt files?????
someone please help!
sloth is offline   Reply With Quote