Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
DearAuthor's e-reader Xmas shopping guide

Oh, ho, ho. With stores already full of tinsel and Christmas trees, it's a good time to start thinking about buying gifts for your nearest and dearest. To help you out on your little shopping frenzy, Jane of the excellent DearAuthor blog compiled a list of currently available e-book devices, which includes a careful comparison of prices and features. Her personal recommendation:

Quote:
The Sony Reader for PC users and the Bookeen for Mac users but only because Bookeen supports the Mobipocket format. The problem with DRM is that it prevents consumers from actually buying the best device for their dollar. At $299, there doesn't appear to be a sufficient reason to spend $50 more to buy a device from France that will have to be serviced in France if there are any problems. A PC user can avail herself of the Lit books (using a lit conversion program) that is available at nearly every ebook store but a MAC user cannot.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I had some readers correct me that about the MAC issue. As you guys probably already know, mobipocket can't be run on MACs. However, I have been given to understand that you can download the book and then transfer it to the Bookeen and read it even if you can't read the mobipocket on the MAC. Right?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I had some readers correct me that about the MAC issue. As you guys probably already know, mobipocket can't be run on MACs. However, I have been given to understand that you can download the book and then transfer it to the Bookeen and read it even if you can't read the mobipocket on the MAC. Right?
Yes, provided you first registered the device you are transferring to.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can read lit files on your MAC as well using libprs500.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
JeffB
JeffB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can read lit files on your MAC as well using libprs500.
Just a minor pet peeve...

MAC is the acronym for Media Access Contol, which is a semi-unique network identifier applied to most network cards.

Mac is the short form for "Macintosh", which is a line of personal computers made by Apple, Inc.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I always use the term MacPuter.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Quote:
Additional cons for the eBookwise is that the LCD screen is not easily readable out of doors;
The screen is not color, it has the same kind of background contrast as a handheld calculator. So it is readable out side in full sunlight. Perhaps it is the glare, which from my understanding there is no glare reducing screen cover large enough that could be purchased.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
With stores already full of tinsel and Christmas trees, it's a good time to start thinking about buying gifts for your nearest and dearest.
No, really, it's not. I am holding tight to my "buy nothing for Christmas until after Thanksgiving" principle. I cannot believe that places had Christmas decorations up before Halloween this year. Places are already playing Christmas music. I am already sick of it and it is the first week of November.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, I usually try to get my Christmas shopping mostly done over the summer, and totally shun the "Holiday Shopping" thing. Sadly, that didn't work out this year, I think it may have had something to do with moving and stuff.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
"There doesn't appear to be sufficient reason to spend fifty dollars more"??? Did she even use the devices? Let's forget about the fact that Bookeen supports half a dozen formats with more on the way, and my Sony supports basically one (if you eliminate the useless PDF support). Let's look at how with the Bookeen device you can look up words from within the book your reading using your choice of dictionaries? That feature right there is worth every penny of 350.00 to me.
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Yes, you can download the mobipocket ebooks right from the Mobipocket (or Fictionwise or other Mobipocket retailer, whereever you purchased it from) site and open it up on the Cybook. This is true for Mac users and Linux users. I note that Sony's Connect software *also* won't run on a Mac or Linux computer which means, in the case of people who purchase a PRS5xx, S-O-L. *That* might be sufficient reason to by a Cybook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Yes, you can download the mobipocket ebooks right from the Mobipocket (or Fictionwise or other Mobipocket retailer, whereever you purchased it from) site and open it up on the Cybook. This is true for Mac users and Linux users. I note that Sony's Connect software *also* won't run on a Mac or Linux computer which means, in the case of people who purchase a PRS5xx, S-O-L. *That* might be sufficient reason to by a Cybook.

Derek
However, thanks to me, you can create, view and transfer SONY LRF files on Linux and Mac.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However, thanks to me, you can create, view and transfer SONY LRF files on Linux and Mac.
And I use, thanks to you, Libprs just for that purpose. Of course, for those who want to buy a title, Mobipocket's still the way to go. Are you working on a way to convert Secure Mobipocket to LRF? Hmmm??? Gonna be buying a PRS505 to add to my collection soon.

Of course, I also wouldn't mind seeing FBReader on the PRS or the Cybook...

Derek
Old 11-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Since I live in the US writing DRM crackers is not something I want to do And the next ebook format I'll work on will be epub.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Since I live in the US writing DRM crackers is not something I want to do And the next ebook format I'll work on will be epub.
Now that has possibilities...

Derek