Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #46
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
Seeing as the Sony Reader was invented and introduced last year, I don't see how you expect Time to name it the Invention of the Year this year. And other eBook readers might as well not even exist in the US, so yeah, what do you expect really?
I was going to say the same.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #47
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Maybe the invention of the year is Internet?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #48
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Now, take notes, class, because I won't be saying this again: The PRS-505 came out this year, so technically, it could've been included in the list.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #49
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Maybe the invention of the year is Internet?
Hmmm. I wonder if you could win a Nobel prize for that? Or maybe even Time's Person of the Year.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #50
nathantw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Now, take notes, class, because I won't be saying this again: The PRS-505 came out this year, so technically, it could've been included in the list.
Then what is innovative about the PRS-505 that wasn't in the PRS-500 that should make it invention of the year?
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #51
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
Then what is innovative about the PRS-505 that wasn't in the PRS-500 that should make it invention of the year?
Actually, not much... I didn't mean to suggest that the PRS-505 should be Invention of the Year, just that it should have been included in the list.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #52
nathantw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Actually, not much... I didn't mean to suggest that the PRS-505 should be Invention of the Year, just that it should have been included in the list.
Truthfully I don't agree it should have been included in the list. As much as we love our e-ink readers, I don't feel Sony's unit should have been included or even considered. With so many other units out there, such as the iRex, it's nothing special and nothing revolutionary that would even consider it Invention of the Year.

If the Sony Reader had color, a light, video capability without ghosting, the ability to go onto the web, can roll up or fold up, and can make calls, take pictures, basically be less than 8 ounces, and embraced by the entire world (i.e. sales go through the roof) then it would be considered Invention of the Year. As it stands, the Sony Reader, though popular with us, isn't popular with the world and isn't taking the world by storm. In fact, a person walked up to me the other day and asked if I was reading a PDA.

Maybe next year when version 3 comes out?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #53
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If the Sony Reader had color, a light, video capability without ghosting, the ability to go onto the web, can roll up or fold up, and can make calls, take pictures, basically be less than 8 ounces, and embraced by the entire world (i.e. sales go through the roof) then it would be considered Invention of the Year.
Again, all I asked is that it would be on the list of inventions. Believe me, there was plenty of stuff in there that won't be "embraced by the entire world." They're just there because someone thought it was a good idea--or at least "cool," like all the electronics gear (or did you not see the game consoles, digital cameras and laptops in the list? Hardly anything Earth-shattering in there, either).
Old 11-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #54
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Let's turn the question around: What was innovative about the Iphone that should make it invention of the year?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #55
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Let's turn the question around: What was innovative about the Iphone that should make it invention of the year?
I've seen the iPhone work, and clearly the animated touch interface is impressive. Others have done similar, but none work as well (Jobs does know how to make sure software is optimized for his hardware). Nothing else is unique about the phone, however.

Time seems to think iPhone will be a runaway sensation. But at its cost, I doubt that, too.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:45 AM   #56
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I also just don't get it. The gadget of the year is a cell phone? We have had them in South Africa for years.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote