Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 01:27 AM   #16
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Yes. the Iphone is overated and not revolutiionary.

I will only add a bit myself. As stated above Time has not been a good magazine for years. Sounds like desperation on the part of Time/Warner and another grab at brainwashed Macheads to shower non-believers with more pathetic dribble about Macs, ipods, iphones and the "immortal" Steve Jobs. I imagine if Mr. Jobs passed gass through an iphone that would be an invention as well.

here are a few reasons not to get an iphone:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2151961,00.asp

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=220

http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1890

hidari

of the Year[/URL]. They did, however, list a massive machine designed to print books on-demand at about 100 pages a minute.

In the long run, Time passed up inventions that could save us energy, make us more energy, make us safer, make our commutes easier, protect us from cancer and other diseases, reduce our impact on our finite resources, or bring knowledge to the third world... to name the iPhone as Invention of the Year. This, after copping out last year and naming "You" as Person of the Year.

If I had a subscription, I'd cancel it, and demand money back to compensate for their defrauding me by pretending to be a serious news magazine.[/QUOTE]
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:22 AM   #17
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

here's the reason to get an iphone: you've got the internet in your pocket. bingo.

it also makes phonecalls, and it's a camera, and it's an ipod. and it's got a clock... all of which are very nice. especially the phone. and the clock. _and_ the internet.

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2007, 04:35 AM   #18
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
In fact, Time magazine did not list any e-book reader, not even Sony's PRS-500 or 505, in its extensive list of prospective inventions competing for Invention of the Year. They did, however, list a massive machine designed to print books on-demand at about 100 pages a minute.

In the long run, Time passed up inventions that could save us energy, make us more energy, make us safer, make our commutes easier, protect us from cancer and other diseases, reduce our impact on our finite resources, or bring knowledge to the third world... to name the iPhone as Invention of the Year. This, after copping out last year and naming "You" as Person of the Year.

If I had a subscription, I'd cancel it, and demand money back to compensate for their defrauding me by pretending to be a serious news magazine.
Erm Steve call me 'Mr Pedant' but the title of the article is 'Gadget of the Year' - so maybe you're taking it a wee bit too seriously?
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #19
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
all those functions were in place before the iphone= nothing new.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Erm Steve call me 'Mr Pedant' but the title of the article is 'Gadget of the Year' - so maybe you're taking it a wee bit too seriously?
If you follow the link, you'll see that Time has it labeled "Invention of the Year," not just gadget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
here's the reason to get an iphone: you've got the internet in your pocket. bingo.

it also makes phonecalls, and it's a camera, and it's an ipod. and it's got a clock...
all of which are very nice. especially the phone. and the clock. _and_ the internet.
Any smartphone can do all that.

You want my vote for invention of the year? Here you go.

Leaping: The PRS-505 came out this year, so technically, it could've been included in the list.

Vivaldi: SUVs suck.

Nate: Pepper Jack for me, please.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 11-04-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #21
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Pepper jack, SUVs, and the 505 all suck! Well, maybe not the 505. Wish I had one myself, actually. Drat!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #22
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And only the people who make the VentureOne would call it both a hybrid and all electric. Which is it?? And then post an "artist's rendering" instead of a real photo. Deception! Deception!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #23
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Next time you want to link to multiple sources, try not to link to sites all owned by the same company.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
And only the people who make the VentureOne would call it both a hybrid and all electric. Which is it??
Either... you can get a full electric, or a hybrid (one is $20,000, the other is $25,000, but I forget which is cheaper).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #25
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

I want one! Um, if you can promise I won't die in one on Houston highways.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post

it also makes phonecalls, and it's a camera, and it's an ipod. and it's got a clock... all of which are very nice. especially the phone. and the clock. _and_ the internet.

-bowerbird
A lot of phones do what the iphone does without all the restrictions. Internet, phone, music player, clock... My step-son has a Nokia N95 and it does all that plus it has GPS too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #27
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

steve said:
> Any smartphone can do all that.

yeah, right. and any car can drive down the same road as a b.m.w.,
but any car can't drive down the road the same _way_ as a b.m.w.

but hey, no need for disagreement. if you're happy with the browser
in your "smart phone", then i'm happy for you. really i am... truly...

-bowerbird
Old 11-04-2007, 12:27 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Bowerbird,

Could you elaborate a little about how specifically the iPhone is better for web browsing than the WM6 smartphone browser? The iPhone isn't currently available in the UK, so I've not yet had the opportunity to see one. I use my HTC smartphone extensively for web browsing and I'd be interested to know how the iPhone could improve on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #29
bowerbird
Banned

harry said:
> What will the Safari browser on the iPhone do
> that the web browser on a WM6 smartphone won't?

well, it will display on a bigger, sharper screen, for one. :+)

other than that, i don't really know, because i have never
even seen -- let alone used in the wild -- a "wm6" phone.

because, to tell you the truth, the screen on the iphone is
the smallest one that i've even _considered_ to be worthy
of squinting at for long enough to interact with the web...

if all you're doing is checking your e-mail, then you might
be happy with your current phone, which is _fine_ with me.

but every other phone that i have ever looked at -- with the
exception of the sidekick, which seems highly under-rated --
has struck me as a very bad joke from the phone companies
in terms of its capabilities as "a web-browser". my opinion...

and believe me, i've been waiting for "the internet in my pocket"
for a _very_ long time... since, like, the internet was invented...

-bowerbird
Old 11-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #30
bowerbird
Banned

p.s. if the nokia 770 coulda made phonecalls, i mighta bought that.
but they've lost their window of opportunity with this mac person...

-bowerbird