Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question Likebook Mars battery life for e-book reading

Hello:

Could you please comment on your current experience, that is, the Likebook Mars battery life for e-book reading?

Any input is welcomed... as long as is based on experience, not hearsay or on-line literature.

I'm seriously considering buying this device and the battery aspect of it (on airplane mode, of course, and using it mainly as an app enabled reader) is rather of consequence.

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
ClausG76
ClausG76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's hard to tell. Last time checked I used 50 % for about 1000 book pages (2 books) some of the time with backlight on.
ClausG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Incanus
Incanus

I see.

But, how many days of battery from 100% to 50%?

Reading how many hours/minutes each day?

[INCANUS]
Old 02-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
sammytak
sammytak began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
When reading in the Kindle Lite app with the frontlight and wifi off, mine went down 4% an hour. I read fairly quickly but I don't know if that impacts the performance.

So mine in theory could get 25 hours of reading off a single charge, but in practice turning the wifi on, downloading more books and apps and so forth, means it lasts substantially less than that.
sammytak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #5
sammytak
sammytak began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
I did download a battery-saving app called Greenify but I don't know if that impacted it either. Truthfully, I'm not sure if I set Greenify up or not.
sammytak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:32 AM   #6
ClausG76

Last I tried to measure it, I got around 5 hours of read, divided into 4 sessions, using 11 % battery (100-89%). I have disabled most apps I'm not going to use. Mail, playstore etc. I installed the apps I needed before disabling playstore.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:42 AM   #7
verserquer
verserquer began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars T80D
1 hour a day of reading for two weeks, battery is now 30%.

You should have a look at the new Likebook Muses that is Likebook Mars + Dual Touch (Finger + Wacom Pen for about 100$ more.
verserquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:01 AM   #8
Incanus
Incanus

Thumbs up Likebook Mars battery life for e-book reading

Thanks to everyone that replied, I now have a clear idea of the battery life of a device that is (for me, at least) the best possible choice among a rather large offer of devices, both android and otherwise based.

I already bought the Likebook Mars so I expect that a month from now I'll be able to post my own experience.

I remain very gratefully yours,

[INCANUS]
Old 03-09-2019, 02:12 AM   #9
ClausG76

Great
I think you will be happy with your purchase. The battery on the Mars is good. Though it's better on my old Kobo Aura Hd, but then everything else is better on the Mars.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by verserquer View Post
1 hour a day of reading for two weeks, battery is now 30%.

You should have a look at the new Likebook Muses that is Likebook Mars + Dual Touch (Finger + Wacom Pen for about 100$ more.
That is some amazing battery life. If my math is right, that's 14 hours of usage spread out over 2 weeks. Which means that with that much usage plus 14 days of sitting overnight, etc., you still have approximately 30% battery life. Extrapolating a bit, if you ran it most of the way down, you'd be up around 20 hours or so.

That's essentially what a Kindle Oasis can do. If that holds up as you keep using it, that's one heck of a compelling argument for these e-ink Android devices--that their battery life is a lot better than most regular Android devices.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #11
Incanus
Incanus

Question Configuring Likebook Mars for Better E-Reader Battery Life

Hello:

I'm attempting to configure my Likebook Mars as an efficient Android E-Ink reader rather than an efficient Android E-Ink Tablet.

Other tan Boyue's apps, I've only have Calibre Companion installed, and all of my e-books (~12.000: mostly mobi and epub, about ~100 pdf) are on a "Calibre" folder on my SDCard, so they are (supposedly) not being indexed by the Boyue software.

With the device on airplane mode (or: Wi-Fi off andf Bluetooth off) and using it only as an E-reader (as opposed to using it as an E-Ink multimedia Android tablet... which you may) battery for me lasts a week or so, reading about an hour daily (or so says Boyue's widget on the home page).

With that being said, I'd like to get the community input on the following questions:
  1. Does it really have a huge impact on battery life to keep your ebooks on the SDCard, even if you keep them on a folder other than "\Books"?
  2. What would you say was your most effective measure towards better battery life on the Likebook Mars?
  3. With only one non Boyue' app installed, would Greenify (or similar app: which one?) make a singnificant difference on battery life?

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-12-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spacing
Old 04-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #12
StuartJ
StuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas, Kobo Aura One, LG V20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Hello:

I'm attempting to configure my Likebook Mars as an efficient Android E-Ink reader rather than an efficient Android E-Ink Tablet.

With that being said, I'd like to get the community input on the following questions:
  1. Does it really have a huge impact on battery life to keep your ebooks on the SDCard, even if you keep them on a folder other than "\Books"?
  2. What would you say was your most effective measure towards better battery life on the Likebook Mars?
  3. With only one non Boyue' app installed, would Greenify (or similar app: which one?) make a singnificant difference on battery life?

[INCANUS]
Hi Incanus,

In answer to your questions:

> Does it really have a huge impact on battery life to keep your ebooks on the SDCard, even if you keep them on a folder other than "Books"?

This hasn't been my experience so far on the Mimas, though with a smaller library: about 3300 books (50Gb) in the 'Books' folder of the SD card, so I can see any new additions in the "Recently added" area of the home screen. There was initial load when indexing and generating cover previews, but since then nothing significant.

> What would you say was your most effective measure towards better battery life on the Likebook Mars?

I'm still evaluating (with the aid of GSAM), but one step I'm hopeful about is enabling the standard Android 'Battery Saver' mode. You can do this via: App > Android Settings > Battery > 'three dots' menu in top right > Battery Saver.

> With only one non Boyue' app installed, would Greenify (or similar app: which one?) make a singnificant difference on battery life?

I doubt it, since I understand that Greenify is basically stopping 'rogue' apps from running too much in the background. If you are relying on just the 'Boyue OS' apps, I don't think there will be any!

I hope this helps!

best regards

Stuart

Last edited by StuartJ; 04-23-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: correct typo
StuartJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
Incanus
Incanus

Exclamation Beyond Configuring Likebook Mars for Better E-Reader Battery Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartJ View Post
I hope this helps!
It does in the sense that (as I suspected) any improvement on battery life on my device beyond current usage/settings will come from the firmware, either through:
  • BOYUE's future upgrades or
  • firmware replacement with a yet to be developed / identified better firmware than BOYUE's current one

Most kind regards,

[INCANUS]
Old 04-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
Incanus
Incanus

Exclamation Current Likebook Mars battery life for e-book reading

Hello:

After almost one month of use, my v1.0.7-2019031914 Likebook Mars has (other than the OS) only CalibreCompanion v5.4.3.3 installed and its's reading e-books form a non cataloged SDCard (12.549 e-books are on a "Calibre" folder).

With a full charge and battery save + airplane mode ON, I've been reading about 50 minutes daily for 8 days, making a CC sync once a week; twice so far: today and also right after charging.

Right now, battery is at a 58% level and it has aproximately 9 days of battery life left.

Those are my current battery life for e-book reading stats.... and they aren't bad at all, I daresay.

I'll report if something interesting arises and/or if there's a new firmware update that changes things.

I'm still very interested in different experiences or approaches to Likebook Mars battery life whent it's used mostly for e-book reading.

Kindly yours,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-29-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Small redaction change
Old 05-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
Incanus
Incanus

Exclamation Updated Likebook Mars battery life for e-book reading

Hello:

Keeping the use and apps profile of my latest post, I recharged the device to 100% on saturday noon; battery was at 19% level after 13 and half days since last charge.

This monday morning, after 1 and half days of regular use (reading about 50 minutes daily) battery is at a 93% level and it has aproximately 24 days of battery life left.

Again, this aren't bad battery stats for an e-ink Android 6.0 device being used only as an e-reader.

I remain interested in other experiences or approaches to Likebook Mars battery life whent it's used mostly for e-book reading.

Kindly yours,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 05-06-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Small typo

Tags
battery life, boyue likebook mars, likebook, mars