Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
Mantinholding
Mantinholding began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Ipad
Can't open mobi ebooks created with calibre on kindle pw

Since some months new files converted from epub to mobi with calibre and either side loaded with usb or sent with calibre to my kindle can't be opened on my kindle. An error pops up with a message that this file can't be opened and should be downloaded from amazon cloud if purchased through amazon. I can open and read the file without any problem with calibre reader, the kindle app on my PC and om my Ipad.
It worked without any issues with many books converted from epub last fall and those files can still be opened.
Anyone has the same experience and has found a solution?
Thanks
Mantinholding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
BZee2
BZee2 doesn't litterBZee2 doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite 1 and 4 & Fire 7 HDX
Same problem but no error message - the mobi ebooks just don't show on the PW (PW1). Older mobi ebooks already on the PW are ok.
BZee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try using AZW3 instead of Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
BZee2

AZW3 is fine - only mobi doesn't show on the PW1 (older mobi ebooks are ok but I haven't tried deleting one from the PW and resenting it)
Old 02-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
Mantinholding
Mantinholding began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Ipad
Tried azw3 and it worked. Strange but a workable solution. A lot of working mobi files and now some working azw3 files.
Thanks
Mantinholding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
BZee2

Took the problem to the Calibre section of this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The MOBI file you attached works in both Kindle Previewer and shows up on my Kindle PaperWhite.

Your problems are almost certainly caused by some MOBI file on the device that is causing the kindle indexer to crash. All files that the indexer would have gotten to after the bad file will therefore not show up. Presumably, the Kindle indexes azw3 files separately/before MOBI files.

Reset your kindle or delete everything from it manually and you should be fine.
Reset my Paperwhite and now .mobi files show up - of course the reset wipes everything so now I have to reinstall (I'll take my time and just do a few books at a time).
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Good to know that it wasn't calibre as a year or so back books converted to AZW3 would NOT work on a kindle UNLESS converted TWICE to AZW3.

To this day I still double convert for AZW3 even though IIRC it's been fixed for a while now...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:06 AM   #8
BZee2

I normally use azw3 and only convert once.