Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
jimmybog1
jimmybog1 began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD 2
Copy Ebooks from PC to IPad using Marvin/Calibre

Just been given an old Ipad 2 which Im hoping to use for reading Ebooks

I already have the ebook files on a Windows 10 PC and are loaded in the library in Calibre

I found a WIki on how to use Calibre to transfer the epub files to marvin on an Ipad. The wiki showed how to use a IOS reader application plugin to do this. But now I believe these plugins are defunct

So what is the best new way to transfer the epub files? I have seen mentioned connecting to calibre server and then i see mentioned calibre content server. BUt I dont really understand the difference and what I need to do?

If someone could explain the best way or point me to a good easy to undestand guide, I would be very grateful

Thanks
jimmybog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
The solution to transferring eBooks to Marvin is to get a Dropbox account and put your eBooks there and let Marvin download them from Dropbox. I do that and it works very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
jimmybog1

Thanks JSWolf

Just created a dropbox account and connected Marvin to it. WIll try uploading an epub file tonight, but this does look like a straight forward option compared to others

Thanks again
Old 04-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The other way is to tell Calibre to share as a content server and download them via the OPDS option in Marvin.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The other way is to tell Calibre to share as a content server and download them via the OPDS option in Marvin.
This is what I do. However it does take some computer know-how if you want anything more complex than downloading via your internal wifi. If you want to access from anywhere around the world via the internets, as I do, then there are several more steps. There are plenty of people to help with this over in the Calibre forum.

If you want very simple - a few books at a time - transfer, then Dropbox is the way to go. If it is more than a few, you might run into issues with dropbox themselves...at one time they didn't like serving as public access to copyrighted material.... the more books you have, the more chances they might notice and shut down the account.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2019, 04:00 AM   #6
jimmybog1

Thanks all

I managed to download all my books via Dropbox

Next time Ill try and do it via calibre content server

Within the "Get Books From" option in Marvin 3, there is a specific option for "OPDS auto or calibre server". Ill try this option tonight just to prove that it works for me. There is a separate option for OPDS. Not sure why and why it would be different to "OPDS Auto/calibre server". ??
Old 04-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybog1 View Post
Thanks all

I managed to download all my books via Dropbox

Next time Ill try and do it via calibre content server

Within the "Get Books From" option in Marvin 3, there is a specific option for "OPDS auto or calibre server". Ill try this option tonight just to prove that it works for me. There is a separate option for OPDS. Not sure why and why it would be different to "OPDS Auto/calibre server". ??
I think that the OPDS Auto will look for a calibre server while OPDS supports a number of different OPDS servers out there on the internet.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
By doing it through Dropbox, you don't need to download them all to your iPad until you are ready to read them. So you can put all the eBooks you might want to read on Dropbox and download when you are ready to read. So you can have the current book, the next book after than and the next book again. Then you'll still have plenty of books on Dropbox waiting for you.

I prefer this to the Calibre server method as this works very well outside of home. All you need is a hotspot with your phone or a WiFi connection. Simple really and much easier.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:27 AM   #9
jimmybog1

I tried using the calibre server method last night and it worked well and was very straight forward.

Now at least I have two easy methods of downloading onto the tablet

Thanks again for all your help everyone
Old 04-26-2019, 01:56 AM   #10
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone SE, iPod, Palm TX
Drag and drop (sideloading) in iTunes is how I do it, very easy.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
Mtnguy321
Mtnguy321 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Google Drive also works well
Mtnguy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro 2018, Lg 8.3, Ipad Mini 5, Nexus7.2, Note 8, Kobo Aura 1
Just remember that if you have your books on a cloud server, you have to connect to the internet to download them to your ipad. Those of us with limited data plans don't have that luxury!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Just remember that if you have your books on a cloud server, you have to connect to the internet to download them to your ipad. Those of us with limited data plans don't have that luxury!
Depends on the limit and what type of books you download. Most of my books are 1MB or less so even if I download 500 of those on cellular, that's still well below the 20GB monthly limit on our family plan.

My actual ebook downloads over cellular are much less than 500MB per month. It's probably actually lower than 100MB.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
How many books do you typically read in a month? Ebooks tend to be fairly small files, generally under 1MB. Even if you read two books a week, that’s less than 8MB a month, which won’t put too much of a dent in even the most restrictive of data plans.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote