Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-18-2019, 12:42 AM   #1
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Calibre Content Server connection questions

Hi all.

I am using an old kobo glo and a recently purchased used kobo arc.

I've had my glo since new in 2012 (I think) and since I've been using the CCS, I've not been able to access it the normal way. When I connect I get download bar and a message underneath saying "Loading, please wait... You can also use a simple, non-javascript version of this site: here (here is a clickable link). It doesn't load no matter how long I wait unless I click the link and then it takes me to a page where no matter what settings I can only view, as a list not a grid, 25 items at a time. It works, but is a slow way of dl new books from Calibre to the device (my USB connection no longer works). I must have set this up at some point as it never connects to the library I want it to so I have to change it, and again this takes a while.

Because I got the Arc recently, I tried to log on to the content server from there and it looks totally different. I initially get an error message "Error: Could not initialize database. You must allow calibre to use IndexedDB storage in your browser to read books". I can x out of that message and see a list of all my libraries in calibre which are all clickable, but if I then choose a book to click on and download, or just to read, it fails. There is no instruction as to how to get the browser use the DB storage (and I don't actually know what that means).

I know I can use Calibre Companion on the Arc, and have no problem with it, but that's not available on the Glo. Also, I just don't get why the content server doesn't work the way it should on both devices. Any ideas?

TIA
ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:22 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Unfortunately, the new content server is pretty much pure JavaScript (as the messages says). Glo likely only supports the mobile site. You probably need to run an alternative server if you want a different layout. For example, Calibre OPDS PHP Server (COPS).

Alternately, perhaps run an older version of Calibre content server (command line/terminal) in read-only mode?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
This thread belongs in the calibre content server subforum. Moving ...
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Unfortunately, the new content server is pretty much pure JavaScript (as the messages says). Glo likely only supports the mobile site. You probably need to run an alternative server if you want a different layout. For example, Calibre OPDS PHP Server (COPS).

Alternately, perhaps run an older version of Calibre content server (command line/terminal) in read-only mode?
Hi.

I don't recall ever seeing this reply and TBH forgot that I ever posted the questions until now.

I have since acquired another used device, an Aura (N514) this time as my Glo whilst still working is literally crumbling and is now held together by masking tape. In the longer term, I'm interested in the Onyx Boox Poke 2 as it's android, but am just keeping my eye on it for the moment as it's so early on in release.

Anyway, the question I asked originally about the CCS on my Glo is the same on the Aura. I don't speak tech so the answer above means very little to me. What is the Calibre OPDS PHP Server (COPS)? I've googled and it discovered this site https://blog.slucas.fr/projects/cali...ds-php-server/ but again it's all tech speak. I take it I follow the link here https://github.com/seblucas/cops/releases and Dl to my laptop, then send the file via USB to my Aura... but there is nothing showing me how to do all this and end up with this what is shown here http://cops-demo.slucas.fr/index.php.

Also run an older version of Calibre content server (command line/terminal) in read-only mode? is again like a foreign language to me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Old 07-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovereading.com View Post
Hi.

I don't recall ever seeing this reply and TBH forgot that I ever posted the questions until now.

I have since acquired another used device, an Aura (N514) this time as my Glo whilst still working is literally crumbling and is now held together by masking tape. In the longer term, I'm interested in the Onyx Boox Poke 2 as it's android, but am just keeping my eye on it for the moment as it's so early on in release.

Anyway, the question I asked originally about the CCS on my Glo is the same on the Aura. I don't speak tech so the answer above means very little to me. What is the Calibre OPDS PHP Server (COPS)? I've googled and it discovered this site https://blog.slucas.fr/projects/cali...ds-php-server/ but again it's all tech speak. I take it I follow the link here https://github.com/seblucas/cops/releases and Dl to my laptop, then send the file via USB to my Aura... but there is nothing showing me how to do all this and end up with this what is shown here http://cops-demo.slucas.fr/index.php.

Also run an older version of Calibre content server (command line/terminal) in read-only mode? is again like a foreign language to me.

Any help would beyourcalibreservernameoripnumber much appreciated.

TIA

Use http://xxxxxx:8080/mobile on your Aura web browser address line. Replace xxxxxx with your calibre server name or ip address.

Should work with lateness calibre version.

bernie

note:

I use a non standard port number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-07-03 20-05-13.png
Views:	248
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	180366  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Alas, it is pretty technical.

No, you don't copy the download to Aura via USB. You'd need to setup your own web and PHP server on your laptop and extract and run COPS from your laptop (as an alternative to the Calibre Content Server).

XAMPP's probably one of the easiest way to do that.
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

There should be instructions on the COPS website or a readme file in the download. It's been a long, lomg time since I last setup something like that so can't really help you there.

Older versions of Calibre didn't use Javascript for the content server so they'll probably play nicer with web browsers on e-ink. Don't know how old you need to go or if the current command line options found in the online Calibre manual are the same.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 07-03-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Use http://xxxxxx:8080/mobile on your Aura web browser address line. Replace xxxxxx with your calibre server name or ip address.
OP mentioned they don't like the Calibre content server's mobile version.

Quote:
You can also use a simple, non-javascript version of this site: here [/B](here is a clickable link). It doesn't load no matter how long I wait unless I click the link and then it takes me to a page where no matter what settings I can only view, as a list not a grid, 25 items at a time. It works, but is a slow way of dl new books from Calibre to the device (my USB connection no longer works).
Old 07-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Because I got the Arc recently, I tried to log on to the content server from there and it looks totally different. I initially get an error message "Error: Could not initialize database. You must allow calibre to use IndexedDB storage in your browser to read books". I can x out of that message and see a list of all my libraries in calibre which are all clickable, but if I then choose a book to click on and download, or just to read, it fails. There is no instruction as to how to get the browser use the DB storage (and I don't actually know what that means).
IndexedDB storage requires a browser that implements it. Considering the age of the Arc, you could try Chrome on it (Chrome 11 up implements IndexedDB storage) if you can find a new enough version of Chrome that will install on the old Android version on the Arc.

As for the Glo, you will need to use the mobile version of calibre server. The browser is a pretty simple critter.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #9
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Alas, it is pretty technical.

No, you don't copy the download to Aura via USB. You'd need to setup your own web and PHP server on your laptop and extract and run COPS from your laptop (as an alternative to the Calibre Content Server).

XAMPP's probably one of the easiest way to do that.
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

There should be instructions on the COPS website or a readme file in the download. It's been a long, lomg time since I last setup something like that so can't really help you there.

Older versions of Calibre didn't use Javascript for the content server so they'll probably play nicer with web browsers on e-ink. Don't know how old you need to go or if the current command line options found in the online Calibre manual are the same.

You are right and I don't like that version of the server I get but as there is no other option, other than getting involved in technicalities that are in a language I don't understand, it seems like far too much bother. And as the Glo is now on the back burner, and the (not) new Aura still works over USB, I'll stick with that option for now. I certainly would not want to roll back to an older version of Calibre either.

Maybe I'll just prioritise getting the Poke 2 sooner rather than later...

Last edited by ilovereading.com; 07-05-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #10
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

I still haven't got to buy a Poke 2 yet so in the meantime, I have a few more questions with connecting to the mobile content server (the Aura will not connect to the full interface version). And please bear with me because I am not a techie.

1) Firstly, not connected to the CCS, why do the epubs DL to my Aura as kepubs over USB? (I don't like this format because it only gives a chapter by chapter tracking whilst reading). If that didn't happen, I wouldn't need to use the CCS.

2) Due to the above, I'm back to using the CCS to DL new books to my device. But every time I go to open up the CCS, I have to input a new 'address' into the web browser as the port that it listens to changes almost every time (sometimes it remains the same for a few days at a time). I recall that when I first started using it a few years ago on my Glo that never happened, it was static and so I had it saved as the home page in the Kobo browser. Does anyone know how I can get it to stop changing?

3) Also, how do you change the default library that the CCS defaults to? As the browser is so slow, any shortcuts will just make it so much quicker to use to connect to. I don't recall ever setting a default library, but I suppose I must have at some point else how does it know which one to go to?

4) How do I change the default view of 25 books to more, again without having to change it every single time?

I've tried finding the answers re the CCS in the Calibre manual, but I just don't understand the tech talk.

Any help is much appreciated.

TIA
Old 08-17-2020, 01:28 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I still haven't got to buy a Poke 2 yet so in the meantime, I have a few more questions with connecting to the mobile content server (the Aura will not connect to the full interface version). And please bear with me because I am not a techie.

1) Firstly, not connected to the CCS, why do the epubs DL to my Aura as kepubs over USB? (I don't like this format because it only gives a chapter by chapter tracking whilst reading). If that didn't happen, I wouldn't need to use the CCS.
At a wild eyed guess, you are using the KoboTouchExtended driver with the Enable Extended Kobo Features enabled on the Extended tab. Either disable the extended features or switch to using the KoboTouch driver.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:57 PM   #12
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At a wild eyed guess, you are using the KoboTouchExtended driver with the Enable Extended Kobo Features enabled on the Extended tab. Either disable the extended features or switch to using the KoboTouch driver.
Bingo.