Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
Toolpost
Toolpost began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A curious font issue

Hello, ( Newbie alert! )

I was trying to read an epub file in my Kobo, which is in Malayalam language. The "chillu" letters (That's what those letters are called in Malayalam) were not rendering properly. Then I load the epub in Calibre and ended up in this interesting situation. Please see the attached image. I have marked the respective words in red boxes. Why the letters are rendered different in the xhtml viewer and preview panel? The rendering is perfect in the xhtml viewer, but wrong in file preview. Is there some way to rectify this? BTW, I am using Calibre (v3.29) installed form official repository in Fedora 29.

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	118
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	170506  

Last edited by Toolpost; 04-01-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Toolpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
I suspect the (embedded) font has glyph issues. Try embedding another font.

Code view, is again, a different font. I think this one is from your System (and this one is usually Mono-spaced, favored by coders).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FWIW: the font for the CodeView (CV) panels are set in Edit->Preferences->Editor settings, the font for the Preview (PV) panel is set in Edit->Preferences->Editor settings. They can differ e.g. I use Consolas for CV and Liberation variants for PV

IIRC: the calibre viewer will use the embedded fonts, if they exist; and if they don't, the fonts set in the viewer's Preferences->General->Font options settings are used.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
Toolpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FWIW: the font for the CodeView (CV) panels are set in Edit->Preferences->Editor settings, the font for the Preview (PV) panel is set in Edit->Preferences->Editor settings. They can differ e.g. I use Consolas for CV and Liberation variants for PV

IIRC: the calibre viewer will use the embedded fonts, if they exist; and if they don't, the fonts set in the viewer's Preferences->General->Font options settings are used. Please see the attached images.

BR
Thanks for your suggestions. I have checked both those settings and changed both to "Noto-sans-malayalam" font, which I installed from the fedora official repository. Now the fonts are seems to be same on both panels, though the same problem persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suspect the (embedded) font has glyph issues. Try embedding another font.
Thanks for your comments. But in this case, there is no font embedded within the epub and no information is found in the css file.

On the other hand, I am able to open and read the epub in Okular and it renders everything perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	46
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	170522   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	53
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	170523   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	54
Size:	915.1 KB
ID:	170524   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	51
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	170525  

Last edited by Toolpost; 04-02-2019 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Forgot attachment
Old 04-02-2019, 01:48 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's likely Qt WebKit (the component used to render the preview panel) does not like that font. This will be fixed in calibre 4 when it migrates to usin a different component. In the meantime, try using a different font for the preview panel, or live with it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
Toolpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's likely Qt WebKit (the component used to render the preview panel) does not like that font. This will be fixed in calibre 4 when it migrates to usin a different component. In the meantime, try using a different font for the preview panel, or live with it.
Thanks for the information. But, I believe not only a particular font have this issue, since I have installed and tested most of the available Malayalam unicode fonts (such as AnjaliOldLipi, Meera, Rachana, Reghu etc..). Anyways, I shall wait for the version 4 to get thing solved.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Toolpost - did you try the Sigil editor, I think it uses a later version of the Qt libraries.

BR
Old 04-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #8
Toolpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Toolpost - did you try the Sigil editor, I think it uses a later version of the Qt libraries.

BR
Yes BR, Actually I did try on Sigil first. The fonts are rendered incorrect in Sigil too. I am using 0.9.12.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolpost View Post
Yes BR, Actually I did try on Sigil first. The fonts are rendered incorrect in Sigil too. I am using 0.9.12.
Bummer

BR
Old 04-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sigil uses the the same qtwebkit calibre does -- even though the version of qt is newer qt webkit tself is no longer maintained.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, qtwebkit does get some maintenance by Annulen. Bugs reported there are still being responded to. We now build our webkit based on annulen's version 5.212 with the following patches:

See qtwebkit _*.patch at:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/tree/master/docs

None of these effect fonts particularly, but Qt (not webkit) has serious issues with fonts especially on Windows machines due to use of the OS2 font tables incorrectly:

See:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-73660

and the following font umbrella issue:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-74860

So the bug could well be in Qt itself versus QtWebkit.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes, the bug is likely in Qt. Qt WebKit uses Qt for its fonts. Qt WebEngine does not (it uses chromium's font backend).