Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #121
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
Anyone figure out an easy way to get rid of the KUAL kindlet?
in terminal
Code:
cd /var/local
sqlite3 cc.db 'update entries set p_isvisibleinhome=0 where p_location="/mnt/us/documents/KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2"'
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #122
falcon9
falcon9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Screen frozen in software update (Step 4)

The screen appears to be frozen for like an hour now on software update with message saying not to turn off and it restarts automatically. How long does this step normally take to complete? What should I do in case it remains like this?
falcon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #123
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon9 View Post
The screen appears to be frozen for like an hour now on software update with message saying not to turn off and it restarts automatically. How long does this step normally take to complete? What should I do in case it remains like this?
It takes a long time, but probably not an hour. It is a good idea to put it on a wall charger (not computer USB port).

For anyone to help you, you need to clearly describe what is happening. (Number of reboots, measured time between reboots, whether the screen is any different each time, and a good description of the screen.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #124
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
In addition to what j.p.s mentioned, I'd add to also pay attention to the power LED.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:27 AM   #125
falcon9

SOLVED- Screen freeze during 'software update'

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It takes a long time, but probably not an hour. It is a good idea to put it on a wall charger (not computer USB port).

For anyone to help you, you need to clearly describe what is happening. (Number of reboots, measured time between reboots, whether the screen is any different each time, and a good description of the screen.
No reboot or anything. It was just stuck on software update screen and progress bar indicating around 95% completion. I plugged in the charger and waited for another hour and finally decided to press and hold the power button for 40 seconds. Screen flashed and it appeared to reboot and the 'update' to factory firmware began all over again. This time it completed within 10 minutes and rest of the jail breaking process was smooth

Thanks for the help guys!
Advert
Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #126
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon9 View Post
No reboot or anything. It was just stuck on software update screen and progress bar indicating around 95% completion. I plugged in the charger and waited for another hour and finally decided to press and hold the power button for 40 seconds. Screen flashed and it appeared to reboot and the 'update' to factory firmware began all over again. This time it completed within 10 minutes and rest of the jail breaking process was smooth

Thanks for the help guys!
Note to readers: Notice that the above was done VERY late in the update process.
Do not attempt EARLY in the update process! An update installs more than one file, restarting with some old and some new files on the device could kill it.

Note 2: Always start an update with a fully charged device. Putting it on a wall charger before starting (even if fully charged) is recommended.
Duh...
Of course #2 only applies if you have control of when an update is performed.
Amazon for uncontrollable, OTA updates.

Last edited by knc1; 05-15-2019 at 10:13 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #127
falcon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note to readers: Notice that the above was done VERY late in the update process.
Do not attempt EARLY in the update process! An update installs more than one file, restarting with some old and some new files on the device could kill it.
Yes, I waited for a little more than two hours after the update began. Thank you for pointing it out I'm thoroughly enjoying my rooted kindle
Old 06-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #128
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm getting ready to jailbreak my wife's PW3 (that's verified via s/n). The FW is 5.8.10 which is older than the FW that will be installed by the jailbreak instructions. So the questions do I need/should install 5.9.6.1 FW?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #129
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Before? Nope. Afterwards? Your choice, but it'd probably be a good idea, yeah.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #130
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Before? Nope. Afterwards? Your choice, but it'd probably be a good idea, yeah.
So I would start with Step 5?
Old 06-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #131
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nope, that doesn't affect the process at all, you *do* need to install a factory image.

The starting FW versison just needs to be <= the factory image version.

Since it's going to get wiped by the factory image, installing the production FW version == to the factory FW version right before would just be a waste of time.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-29-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #132
jangell2
Addict

ok, start at the top.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #133
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Nope, that doesn't affect the process at all, you *do* need to install a factory image.

The starting FW versison just needs to be <= the factory image version.

Since it's going to get wiped by the factory image, installing the production FW version == to the factory FW version right before would just be a waste of time.
Didn't take me long. The instructions say to "skip to step #4" which bypasses the factory reset. I should skip to step#4? Of course the instructions also say to download the pw3_5.9.6.1 bin. I have to do that of course.

Do I skip the Reset?
Old 06-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #134
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Didn't take me long. The instructions say to "skip to step #4" which bypasses the factory reset. I should skip to step#4? Of course the instructions also say to download the pw3_5.9.6.1 bin. I have to do that of course.

Do I skip the Reset?
It is often safe to skip Reset.

You probably want to delete everything in the *.sdr directories in the documents directory and below because they may not be compatible with the newer firmware
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #135
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is often safe to skip Reset.

You probably want to delete everything in the *.sdr directories in the documents directory and below because they may not be compatible with the newer firmware
Since there's not much on her kindle and I don't mind losing any personalization, maybe I'll do the reset then do bin update.

Tags
jailbreak, pw3, pw3 jailbreak