Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by urliyis View Post
Dusted off my old PRS-T1 the other day and charged it up. I had forgotten how much I liked these Sony readers! The contrast between the screen and text is striking, much more contrast than some of my new ereaders (kindle and kobo).
It looks to me that Sony's quality control was much higher – or that they expected higher quality from their component providers. I'm also impressed with the quality of Sony screens (even the old ones, like the PRS-505 and PRS-300 which, spec-wise, weren't supposed to be all that good). Also the quality of the batteries seem to be much higher quality than their competitors of the same era. (Or maybe they just had better software that preserved the batteries better?) At any rate, the build quality Sony Readers was very good.

Last edited by issybird; 12-05-2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Spam links redacted in quoted post.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #17
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
The default fonts of all PRS-T models are extremely readable.
No need to recourse to external fonts if one is not forced to (there are differences in the unicode scope across the T series, so if one needs eg Chinese or Arabic or even Latin suppl., one had to use custom fonts).
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
The default fonts of all PRS-T models are extremely readable.
No need to recourse to external fonts if one is not forced to (there are differences in the unicode scope across the T series, so if one needs eg Chinese or Arabic or even Latin suppl., one had to use custom fonts).
I think tastes in fonts differ. I like them darker than what the Sony uses, although customizing the screen format helps a lot with the native fonts. I think DejaVu Serif E-Ink makes a great "Sony" font.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Funny the T1 actually put me off ereaders completely it was a device that constantly crashed and needed reset with me nearly always losing my reading position. I actually had the same issues with a couple of them when the reset pinhole broke on the first one and I actually got it replaced.

I really did like e-ink but the T1 sent me to Android Tablets and Phones instead (just for stability), every now and again I check back here though to see if anyones made a better (more stable) firmware or something.

Last edited by Teknikal; 12-24-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #20
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Yes, my T1 is very buggy too. The T2 is much the same yet more stable. Don't think it's ever crashed or needed reset. It's still my main reader.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2018, 01:52 AM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
...I really did like e-ink but the T1 sent me to Android Tablets and Phones instead (just for stability), every now and again I check back here though to see if anyones made a better (more stable) firmware or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Yes, my T1 is very buggy too. The T2 is much the same yet more stable. Don't think it's ever crashed or needed reset. It's still my main reader.
My experience matches Hemmi's. My T1 is buggy, my T2(s) are rock solid. The T1 was the first Android based Sony reader. I guess they didn't get it right. The older (Linux based) Sonys seem to have all been solid.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:06 AM   #22
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
The T1's problems seem to be on a per unit basis.
We have 3.

One used to occasionally boot loop, but after my last, more aggressive recovery it has been solid for 2 years without ANY glitches at all.

One has frequent lock ups that requires unbent-paper-clip intervention almost weekly.

The third never seemed to have great contrast compared to the other two, but I fear that was because it was bought used and may have sustained some invisible damage at some point. When it is used, it has never had any issues in my memory.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My t1 worked well for a few years before it started having the dictionary lockup problem.

So far my t3 has locked up and lost the place in the book only rarely.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:23 AM   #24
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Considering that my one reader had a lot of issues until my most recent recovery (which I did differently), I wonder if the problem is that the consecutive firmware updates didn't always play nicely together.

Since the reader prevents re-flashing the same firmware, you need a bigger hammer if the update caused a problem.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote