Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #601
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva1985 View Post
Is there any way to actually highlight using the built-in epub reader in Calibre? Having tried many PC epub readers it seems that the one included with Calibre is the best for my laptop except it lacks highlighting features or maybe I'm missing something?
Yes and no. It supports bookmarks. But, it doesn't show the selected text.

The viewer is being rewritten. Better annotations support is one of the things that should be added.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #602
mva1985
Enthusiast
mva1985 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes and no. It supports bookmarks. But, it doesn't show the selected text.

The viewer is being rewritten. Better annotations support is one of the things that should be added.
sweet I'll be looking forward to that... thanks for the info
mva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #603
TGSET
TGSET began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Annotation fetch error on new ClaraHD

Hello,
I just got a new kobo clara hd and I'm trying to duplicate my (dead) glo. I think I have all my custom columns but the annotation plugin gives an error on fetch. I've selected a custom "annotations" column as the destination. I admit I haven't tried the default "append to Comments" method.

ERROR:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 311, in fetch_device_annotations
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 1052, in process_selected_books
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 137, in add_annotations_to_calibre
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.annotations_db", line 180, in annotations_to_html
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.annotations", line 200, in to_HTML
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

The updated kobo driver finds device data and transfers it into my other custom columns fine. Suggestions?

TIA, T
TGSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #604
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGSET View Post
Hello,
I just got a new kobo clara hd and I'm trying to duplicate my (dead) glo. I think I have all my custom columns but the annotation plugin gives an error on fetch. I've selected a custom "annotations" column as the destination. I admit I haven't tried the default "append to Comments" method.

ERROR:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 311, in fetch_device_annotations
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 1052, in process_selected_books
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 137, in add_annotations_to_calibre
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.annotations_db", line 180, in annotations_to_html
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.annotations", line 200, in to_HTML
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

The updated kobo driver finds device data and transfers it into my other custom columns fine. Suggestions?
Is there any reason you stripped the rest for the error details? There should have been lines at the start that show the version of calibre being run and the versions of each plugin installed. This isn't just an idle question...

That looks like either you are running an older version of calibre. The plugin was recently changed to support changes in calibre this broke the compatibility with older versions of calibre. Updating calibre will fix this.

But, the change to the plugin was simple to do to support older versions of calibre. I have release version 1.9.1 of the plugin. It should support most older versions of calibre. But, I recommend updating everything. If there are issues with older versions of calibre, I am more likely to remove support from them in the plugin than try to fix the plugin. If anyone is stuck on older versions of calibre for some reason, the older versions of the plugin are available on the GitHub releases page.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:15 AM   #605
TGSET
TGSET began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
That looks like either you are running an older version of calibre. The plugin was recently changed to support changes in calibre this broke the compatibility with older versions of calibre. Updating calibre will fix this.
Right you are - that fixed it. Thanks for all your coding & support efforts.
TGSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #606
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
If anyone is stuck on older versions of calibre for some reason, the older versions of the plugin are available on the GitHub releases page
Having only an old Laptop/PC with XP is the only reason I can think of, though Linux Mint 18.3 with Mate Desktop (32 bit) seems fine on a Pentium 4 (only 512M RAM) or similar era Celeron.
I know 19.1 is latest version. However 18.3 is supported nearly as long, it's got LTS.

The 32 bit support is important for cash strapped people with older hardware. Silly that Firefox has 32bit and 64bit, as has Libre Office, but Viber and Waterfox are 64bit only, seemingly because the Developers don't care and assume everyone can upgrade. An Apple / MS / Google / Steam / Amazon attitude.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #607
zeusosphere
zeusosphere began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Marvin 3 on iPhone X
Question Extractions from MyClippings.txt?

Given that the plugin uses MyClippings.txt on the Kindle as the source and it's possible to import that file into the Calibre library, is there any chance you could rig the plugin to possibly run off of the imported file rather than the one on the device?
zeusosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:54 PM   #608
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusosphere View Post
Given that the plugin uses MyClippings.txt on the Kindle as the source and it's possible to import that file into the Calibre library,
How do you do that?
Quote:
is there any chance you could rig the plugin to possibly run off of the imported file rather than the one on the device?
Not easily. What is the point of doing it this way?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #609
zeusosphere

Quote:
How do you do that?
All you have to do is go to the Device library, find the MyClippings file and import it.
Quote:
Not easily. What is the point of doing it this way?
I highlight and annotate a lot; this makes the importation process super slow while Calibre hangs and I can't remove my kindle before it finishes, especially as device jobs can't be stopped in Calibre. This gives me a lot of trouble when the importation takes longer than I expected and I need to take my Kindle elsewhere. If I could import annotations from the file instead of my Kindle, then I could leave it running on my computer while I take my Kindle elsewhere; additionally I'm rather hoping it would speed up the process a bit since my computer is significantly faster than my kindle and there would be less communication through a cable.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #610
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is why I now use my Kobo instead of my Kindle as the Kobo Utilities almost instantly imports the selected title, easily copied & pasted as either metadata in Calibre or into a text file to have in a window while rewriting the original source. It's better laid out than the info in the annotations plugin apart from being faster.
1: Chapter % into book (or % into chapter if kepub)
2: Source highlighted text
3: The actual note
4: extra paragraph spaces
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #611
zeusosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusosphere View Post
All you have to do is go to the Device library, find the MyClippings file and import it.
Actually, sorry, I misspoke. I'm not entirely sure how I usually do it, but My Clippings.txt is an actual txt file inside the documents folder of the Kindle so you could just copy it from your file manager. Or you could go into your device library in Calibre, right click on My Clippings (as a book) and then choose 'add book to library' if you've added that action to your context menu...
Old 05-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #612
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.9.2

I have just posted an update to the plugin. There is only one change:
  • Update: Remove dynamic_property in preparation for change in calibre.

This is to prevent an error when the next calibre release comes out. There is no change in function.

The update will be announce in the next hour or so. If there are any problems, please report them here.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #613
read2much
read2much began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
For some reason, the plugin skips over a bunch of my books: it doesn't even detect them when I try to pull annotations in Calibre. There aren't any errors messages or anything, the books just don't come up.

Is this a common problem? If it is, please direct me to the solution since I haven't seen anyone discussing it so far. If not, I'd be happy to share my Kobo's sqlite file and the ebooks I'm using.
read2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #614
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by read2much View Post
For some reason, the plugin skips over a bunch of my books: it doesn't even detect them when I try to pull annotations in Calibre. There aren't any errors messages or anything, the books just don't come up.

Is this a common problem? If it is, please direct me to the solution since I haven't seen anyone discussing it so far. If not, I'd be happy to share my Kobo's sqlite file and the ebooks I'm using.
The plugin is only getting annotations for books that are on the device and in the calibre library. And show they are matched (the green tick). It will ignore all other books with annotations. If they are books that are in the library, then that is a problem. I haven't caught it, so would need to look at it.

Can you run calibre in debug mode and post the output? And I'll probably need the database to look at. For that, the best thing to do would be to upload it somewhere and PM me the link. If you need to email it, then I can send a PM with the address to use.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #615
read2much
read2much began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yeah, they're books that are in the library and on the device.

I've had the debug mode on and haven't seen any errors – is there a specific log file I should be able to find?

I can send the database. I'll PM you.
read2much is offline   Reply With Quote