Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
yktan
yktan began at the beginning.

Device: Android smartphones
Font subsetting problem

Hi, I am trying to convert a html file to epub/azw3 format. I can embed a font without any problems but when I try to subset the font, some of the characters are messed up.

It looks like calibre is choosing the wrong glyphs during the subsetting process. I exploded the epub with the subsetted font and perform the following troubleshooting:
(1) Removed the font-face css and viewed the page with Firefox and it displays correctly with system default font. That means the character encoding is still correct.
(2) Replaced the font file (tff) with the full font file, the page displays correctly as well.

Can you investigate if it is a bug in the font subsetting process?

Last edited by yktan; 09-19-2013 at 11:01 PM.
yktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I opened both the original and the subset font file in font forge and as far as I can see the glyphs are the same, I checked the glyphs for uni4E00, uni4EBA and a couple of other random ones.

Given that I dont have much experience with CJK fonts, it's possible I may be missing something else, but I cant see what.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
yktan

certain words

Could you check for uni5E74, uni6C11 or uni6CB3? For some reason FontForge doesn't want to run on my laptop.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On second thoughts, I think I see where the problem might be, I will investigate further.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...e801df36509802
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
yktan

Thanks!

Thanks very much for the quick fix!