Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #1606
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
If I want the book's metadata on the kobo to match what's in calibre wouldn't I want them added as new?
@theducks is basically right. With the appropriate driver options, it will all work out. Or you can use the plugin to update the metadata.

The "Do not treat replacements as new books" option is to avoid losing the reading status and bookmarks when calibre sends an updated book. This is turned on by default, and is fine unless you change the internal structure or ToC of the book. In that case, you should removed the book. If you are just fixing typos or formatting, it is usually safe to have this option turned on.

If you are just fixing metadata, the driver can do this automatically. Look at the options under "Update metadata on the device". With those turned on, the driver will check for differences between what is on the device and in calibre and update the device as needed. This only updates the database on the device, it doesn't change the actual books. Unless you have a lot of books on the device and make a lot of metadata changes, this is pretty quick.

If you only want to update the metadata occasionally, you can use the plugins "Update metadata in device library". That only acts on the selected books, so it is quick. But, has to be started manually.

About the only proviso with this is if the metadata you change is something that is used in the save template when sending the book. Mine is:

Code:
{:'current_library_name()'}/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
If I changed the title or author, a different path will be used when resending the book to the device. This will mean there are two copies of the book and the second copy will be new. It's a nuisance, but I rarely change the author or title after my initial metadata cleanup when getting a new book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #1607
lumpynose
Fanatic
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookMan EBM-900
Ok, thanks guys.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2019, 11:28 PM   #1608
sherman
Fanatic
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/SC, B&N Nook, Sony PRS-650/BC, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O
Hi David,

When doing a bulk bookmark restore, would it be possible to have an option that sets the last read time to the date/time the book was added to Calibre? Currently when bulk adding books after a factory reset, the book order will be completely arbitrary, unless one has the patience of a saint and send each book individually, and this option might help restore a bit of order...

Regards,
Sherman
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:33 AM   #1609
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
When doing a bulk bookmark restore, would it be possible to have an option that sets the last read time to the date/time the book was added to Calibre? Currently when bulk adding books after a factory reset, the book order will be completely arbitrary, unless one has the patience of a saint and send each book individually, and this option might help restore a bit of order...
If you have a last read time from the stored reading position, why do you want to set it to something else? The point of the function is to restore all these pieces of information. This also sets the sync date (used for the "Date added" sort) to the last read date if the last read date is before the sync date. Otherwise, the "Recent" sort isn't correct.

But, you probably really want the "Update metadata in Device Library". That can set the sync date for all the books to one of the dates in calibre. The bookmark restore will only change books that have a last read date in calibre.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:46 AM   #1610
sherman
Fanatic
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/SC, B&N Nook, Sony PRS-650/BC, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you have a last read time from the stored reading position, why do you want to set it to something else? The point of the function is to restore all these pieces of information. This also sets the sync date (used for the "Date added" sort) to the last read date if the last read date is before the sync date. Otherwise, the "Recent" sort isn't correct.

But, you probably really want the "Update metadata in Device Library". That can set the sync date for all the books to one of the dates in calibre. The bookmark restore will only change books that have a last read date in calibre.
You are of course, correct. "Update metadata in Device Library" is exactly what I was after. Thank you very much.

You may disregard my ill-conceived request.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #1611
Phoebus
Phoebus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Can't transfer books

Hello, I'm on 2.8.0 of KoboUtilities and 3.42 of Calibre. My Kobo Aura H2O is on 4.14.12777. I'm on Mac OS 10.14.4

I can no longer transfer files books with the Extended driver plugin, I get the following error message.

Switching to Main driver does allow me to transfer but the formatting of books (particularly news articles) is not quite right.

Is it something with my computer or has the Kobo update broken the plugin?

Thanks

Code:
calibre, version 3.42.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

'bool' object has no attribute 'startswith'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 89, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 593, in _upload_books
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 399, in upload_books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 2087, in upload_books
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 313, in _modify_epub
  File "lib/python2.7/posixpath.py", line 254, in expanduser
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'startswith'
Phoebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #1612
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
Hello, I'm on 2.8.0 of KoboUtilities and 3.42 of Calibre. My Kobo Aura H2O is on 4.14.12777. I'm on Mac OS 10.14.4

I can no longer transfer files books with the Extended driver plugin, I get the following error message.

Switching to Main driver does allow me to transfer but the formatting of books (particularly news articles) is not quite right.

Is it something with my computer or has the Kobo update broken the plugin?

Thanks

Code:
calibre, version 3.42.0

'bool' object has no attribute 'startswith'

File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 89, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 593, in _upload_books
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 399, in upload_books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 2087, in upload_books
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 313, in _modify_epub
  File "lib/python2.7/posixpath.py", line 254, in expanduser
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'startswith'
That is a problem with the KoboTouchExtended driver. It has been discussed in the driver's thread.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #1613
Phoebus
Phoebus began at the beginning.

Quote:
That is a problem with the KoboTouchExtended driver. It has been discussed in the driver's thread.
Thanks Davidfor, I just came to where the plugin sent me and didn't see this discussed here.
Phoebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #1614
ICDeadPpl
ICDeadPpl began at the beginning.

Unhappy

I get this error when Calibre tries to update metadata and upload queued books from the Reading List plugin, when I connect the reader to my Windows 10 computer:

Code:
calibre, version 3.44.0

local variable 'ContentType' referenced before assignment

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 542, in _sync_booklists
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 481, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 969, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2435, in update_device_database_collections
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 643, in get_content_type_from_path
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'ContentType' referenced before assignment

I'm on firmware version 4.15.12920 on my Kobo H2O.
ICDeadPpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #1615
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDeadPpl View Post
I get this error when Calibre tries to update metadata and upload queued books from the Reading List plugin, when I connect the reader to my Windows 10 computer:
Spoiler:

Code:
calibre, version 3.44.0

File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 481, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 969, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2435, in update_device_database_collections
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 643, in get_content_type_from_path

The first question that comed to mind is if the error still occurs if you use the KoboTouch driver rather than the KoboTouchExtended driver? In either event, I don't see anything in your posted log to indicate this issue has anything to do with the Kobo Utilities plugin.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-01-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Fat fingered typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #1616
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDeadPpl View Post

Code:
calibre, version 3.44.0

That is an error due to some work being done on getting calibre code ready for Python3. It will be fixed in the next release. But, I'm surprised this didn't cause a problem before. I'd like to have a look at what is happening. Could you run calibre in debug mode and post or PM me the log? You do this by right-clicking the preferences button and select the restart in debug mode option. Then connect the device and let the connection jobs. When they finish, which will probably be when the above error happens, close calibre and the debug log will be show. Send me that via post or a PM.

Also, this isn't an issue with this plugin. It is the driver and should be separate from here.

Last edited by davidfor; 06-02-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:09 AM   #1617
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I get this trying to read "Annotation from selected book" in Kobo Utilities.
I think it was working a few days ago?
Code:
calibre, version 3.44.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:unsupported operand type(s) for *: 'NoneType' and 'int'

calibre 3.44  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.15.0-50-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.15.0-50-generic', '#54~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 8 15:55:19 UTC 2019')
Python 2.7.15
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 0) && DeDRM (6, 6, 1) && K4PC, K4Mac, Kindle Mobi and Topaz DeDRM (0, 3, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 0) && Hyphenate This! (0, 0, 8) && Annotations (1, 9, 2) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Kindle covers (G) (0, 3, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && EpubMerge (2, 5, 0) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 4, 0) && X-Ray Creator (3, 2, 1) && KePub Output (3, 1, 3) && Media File Importer (1, 0, 20) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4) && EpubSplit (2, 7, 0) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 2) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 1, 3) && Author Book Count (2, 1, 6) && KePub Metadata Writer (3, 0, 3) && FictionDB (1, 2, 0) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 24) && Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List (1, 2, 11) && Kobo Books (1, 6, 0) && Sony PRS-T1 notes plugin (1, 1, 0) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 15) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Smashwords Metadata (1, 0, 0) && Copy Cover To Device (2, 0, 0) && Open With (1, 5, 10) && KePub Input (3, 0, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 0) && KFX Input (1, 17, 0) && Goodreads (1, 4, 0) && Wiki Reader (2, 1, 0) && Kobo Utilities (2, 8, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 1, 8) && KePub Metadata Reader (3, 0, 2) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 5) && Quick Preferences (1, 4, 1) && Amazon.com Multiple Countries (1, 0, 0)
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 1906, in getAnnotationForSelected
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 2644, in _getAnnotationForSelected
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1190, in get_annotations
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/bookmark.py", line 30, in __init__
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/bookmark.py", line 94, in get_bookmark_data
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for *: 'NoneType' and 'int'
I was able to fetch the notes via "Annotations" Plugin, but it's much slower and more awkward because it reads ALL the books rather than selected one, then you have to "clear all" and tick just one. It also leaves out % progress in book and is a more awkward format for what I want, though a few regex in Search/Replace in KATE (or Notepad++) fixes it. Then I save text file and delete the added custom Metadata in Calibre.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #1618
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I get this trying to read "Annotation from selected book" in Kobo Utilities.
I think it was working a few days ago?
Code:
calibre, version 3.44.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:unsupported operand type(s) for *: 'NoneType' and 'int'

calibre 3.44  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.15.0-50-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.15.0-50-generic', '#54~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 8 15:55:19 UTC 2019')
Python 2.7.15
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 0) && DeDRM (6, 6, 1) && K4PC, K4Mac, Kindle Mobi and Topaz DeDRM (0, 3, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 0) && Hyphenate This! (0, 0, 8) && Annotations (1, 9, 2) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Kindle covers (G) (0, 3, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && EpubMerge (2, 5, 0) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 4, 0) && X-Ray Creator (3, 2, 1) && KePub Output (3, 1, 3) && Media File Importer (1, 0, 20) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4) && EpubSplit (2, 7, 0) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 2) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 1, 3) && Author Book Count (2, 1, 6) && KePub Metadata Writer (3, 0, 3) && FictionDB (1, 2, 0) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 24) && Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List (1, 2, 11) && Kobo Books (1, 6, 0) && Sony PRS-T1 notes plugin (1, 1, 0) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 15) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Smashwords Metadata (1, 0, 0) && Copy Cover To Device (2, 0, 0) && Open With (1, 5, 10) && KePub Input (3, 0, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 0) && KFX Input (1, 17, 0) && Goodreads (1, 4, 0) && Wiki Reader (2, 1, 0) && Kobo Utilities (2, 8, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 1, 8) && KePub Metadata Reader (3, 0, 2) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 5) && Quick Preferences (1, 4, 1) && Amazon.com Multiple Countries (1, 0, 0)
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 1906, in getAnnotationForSelected
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 2644, in _getAnnotationForSelected
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1190, in get_annotations
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/bookmark.py", line 30, in __init__
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/bookmark.py", line 94, in get_bookmark_data
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for *: 'NoneType' and 'int'
That's pretty much the same problem I fixed in the Annotations plug
Quote:
I was able to fetch the notes via "Annotations" Plugin,
That's pretty much the same problem I fixed in the Annotations plug in the last beta. It is actually in the KoboTouch driver. I'll fix this when I have a chance.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #1619
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No worries. Thanks.
Compared with actually WRITING the books, proof reading and editing in the notes, the time spent on the workaround isn't much.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo