Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 08:17 AM   #121
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyfarm View Post
DT - All very valid points as far as they go. But I would add that “You can’t judge a book by it’s index” - you can quote me on that!
Sometimes the book is indeed rubbish itself but may also “reference” another as a source for some idea. So non fiction or “self help” are vastly different in that respect. Poor authors frequently quote/copy great writers/books.

I couldn’t be bothered going to the beach or a riverbank with a metal detector but some say it’s well worth the trouble. I’m a bit like that with books.

Of course it’s in Amazons interest for you to take ages finding good books and I even venture the temerity to suggest that it may be akin to the intermittent payoff, similar to slot machines.

All the while debiting your account for as long as you remain subscribed, Amazon are also harvesting the data of what subjects and how interested you are in particular titles. I’m already getting targeted full price emails from Amazon based on my downloads so far. And any purchases in that time are pure “value added” profit for them.

It costs them absolutely nothing (ok maybe a few electrons) for me to wade thru their crappy titles to find some good ones.

Seriously - have they no concept of acceptable standards or quality control?
https://www.amazon.com.au/Caribbean-.../dp/B01HOW0JOS
https://www.amazon.com.au/Caribbean-.../dp/B01HNHQS0S

No reviews, no index, no page count - 20% of my limited KU shelf space !!!!

I would seriously doubt that Amazon would be paying this nuff nuff anything just because I was sucker enough to download it. It would have COST Amazon to pay it’s employees to put/keep it up there. So here is a compelling example of why Amazon wouldn’t be paying for page/percentage views. And if they are sending offline reading counts back to base behind my back, I would want to know about that.

So why are those titles there all? Let’s hear some suggestions.

Now if anyone has a genuine rebuttal to the above, do me and everyone reading the courtesy of posting some links and references rather than just taking a quick potshot from the bushes.

haertig - I absolutely agree. I have the time and reasons to sift thru a lot of dross looking for what I need, so I did it with perhaps quite a bit of gusto at the time.

There was earlier in these posts the argument put forward that Amazon had a right to make a profit and of course I know they have shareholders to keep happy as well. And your personal example is a perfect one that speaks to the other side of the coin, your right for value for money.

We all have “shareholder/stakeholders” even if it’s “only” a wife and kids to get on our case for wasting money!

I make no apology for trying to get my hard earned money’s worth either.
First of all, are you *seriously* saying that you looked at that title and didn't realize that it was a single recipe?

Second of all, of course the "author" of that "book" is getting paid when you download it and go to the end of the book. That's why they put it up there. With the way Kindle Unlimited paid authors originally, they probably were losing money. With the new way, the author only gets paid a tiny amount each time the recipe is read, since he/she is paid based on the actual number of pages read, and this is probably only 2 pages at most. The amount paid for this "book" is truly minuscule, since the per page rate (for April) is $0.0046601941747573‬. So the book has to be at least 3 pages for the author to make a penny each time it's read to the end.

Third of all, they are absolutely sending offline reading counts "back to base" every time you turn your wifi on. The data is held on the device while wifi is off, then sent the next time you turn the wifi back on. They aren't doing this "behind your back", though, it's right in the terms of service for your device:
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/help/cu...deId=202002080
Quote:
3. General

a. Information Received. The Software will provide Amazon with information about use of your Amazon Device and its interaction with Digital Content and the Services (such as last page read, content archiving, available memory, up-time, log files, network diagnostics, content usage, search queries, location, voice information, connectivity and signal strength). Information provided to Amazon may be processed in the cloud to improve your experience and our products and services, and may be stored on servers outside the country in which you live. We will handle any information we receive in accordance with the Amazon.com.au Privacy Notice.
Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:29 AM   #122
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyfarm View Post
No reviews, no index, no page count - 20% of my limited KU shelf space !!!!
So why are those titles there all? Let’s hear some suggestions.
Those books are there because Amazon lets authors decide what they want to publish and lets readers vote on the result with their reviews. There is no gatekeeper as in traditional publishing. The reviews are key. To make the system work you need to leave reviews and in turn rely on the reviews of others.

A book with no reviews is a total unknown. I personally wouldn't bother with one. I will rely on those with more patience and free time to sort the rare gems from the pile of sludge that makes up the bulk of the KU catalog.

In this case I think that it was a smart idea to split a cookbook up into individual recipes. That way a reader does not to wade through a whole book to find the one recipe they are looking for. But I wouldn't bother with one unless it had several good reviews.

Last edited by jhowell; Today at 08:38 AM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote