Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-05-2019, 01:56 AM   #1246
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtww View Post
Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask:

I just wanted to know the word count for a specific book. So this is what I did:

1. I imported the book into the calibre library
2. I installed this Count Pages plugin & checked the option to have it in the context menu
3. I restarted Calibre to activate the plugin
4. I right-clicked the book > Count Pages > Estimate Word/Page Counts

Now I'm seeing the error: You must specify custum column(s) first. Do you want to configure this now?

There are two things that threw me a bit for a loop, and which I suggest might be worth changing:

1. First of all, why do I need to have a permanent column for this just to see it once? I really just wanted to see it for that one book, but when I click "No" in that dialog I don't get some prompt with the info but just nothing

2. When I click "Yes" and I get to the plugin preferences, I have a lot of sections which each have a "Custom column" chooser - with zero options / just one empty entry. I can't actually set any custom column here, so what am I even supposed to do? (Is this a bug? If not, some sort of explanation of what it wants me to do in that dialog could be helpful)

Apart from that, thanks so much for providing this plugin! It is so useful to have this functionality, I just wish the way to get there was a little easier
Firstly, any tool you use needs to be configured. And the instructions for doing this are in the first post. But, having a button in the configuration dialog to create the custom columns would be handy, and I'll put it on the TODO list. But, it won't be something I'm rushing to do.

As to "one off" usage, are you going to remember the page or word count tomorrow? Plus, what about all the other books in your library. The plugin counts the words and stores them for all the books you select. You can then sort or select based on the values. Or send them to a device, or put them in a catalog.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #1247
jtww
jtww began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, thanks for all the responses!

As for the one-off use, I just wanted to know the ballpark for a single book to compare it to another - and I assume that's not the most common use case, so I understand the confusion but that is what I wanted to do

I had previously no idea custom columns even existed, and I actually tried around to add one but couldn't make it show up in the preferences dialog since frankly, I just have no good clue on how they even work. I know most users would want to permanently set up one, but it'd be nice if for a one-off check that wouldn't be necessary

I also had no idea the book editor existed, I'm really not that much of a power user. I get how the plugin works makes sense for power users, it's just a little confusing for beginners right now. Being able to see the info without being required to set up a custom column to display it permanently would help with that

One additional place I checked was the book metadata/detail info dialog but I couldn't see it there, maybe it'd be possible to add the info there as well? Just to make it a little easier to find for folks who didn't configure a custom column and aren't looking to do so
jtww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #1248
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jttw: The simple answer to that, is that the plugin is not intended for single use, and never will be. It will always store the counts calculated. Once you know how to add custom columns, it is fairly simple. And the values set for them can be displayed in the book list, the book details and will be editable in the metadata editor dialog.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #1249
jtww
jtww began at the beginning.

Device: none
Alright, really just wanted to leave some UI feedback since most people never do before they just move to something else (as I did). have fun e-booking
jtww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #1250
Rellwood
Library Breeder
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
There seems to be a bug or something that causes the program to hang and force me to quit Calibre if I should delete a book that is in the queue for getting page numbers.

Once the program is done getting the page counts and starts to update the columns the missing book causes a warning or something to pop up causing the page update to stall.

I couldn't see the warning box because it was behind the updating columns box - which also stalled and ended up locking the program.

Not sure if this can be fixed, but I thought I would mention it.

Last edited by Rellwood; 05-21-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:44 AM   #1251
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I won't deny that my first reaction was: Why are you counting the pages of a book you don't want?

But, it should handle this. I'll throw it on the TODO list, but, I'm not going to be in a rush to do it.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:03 AM   #1252
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
There seems to be a bug or something that causes the program to hang and force me to quit Calibre if I should delete a book that is in the queue for getting page numbers.

Not sure if this can be fixed, but I thought I would mention it.
I believe this is what is referred to as a PEBKAC error.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:09 AM   #1253
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I believe this is what is referred to as a PEBKAC error.
I didn't know the word but I totally agree
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #1254
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
Love this plugin. Works fine for most of my huge Calibre library, processes usually faster than 1 minute per book.
Unfortunately longer books do not take proportionately longer, but rather MUCH MUCH longer. The longest books I've tried never complete even after running over 12 hours.
I am not out of disk space or memory, and it's still churning away using CPU.
An omnibus of 6 books should take 6x as long as processing one book, but instead it takes hours.

I'm doing:
Page Count Paragraphs APNX Accurate
Word Count use ICU algorithm
Gunning Fog Index

Are any of these algorithms non-linear?
Is there a key part of the plugin that I could re-code in a compiled language to speed it up?

An easy source of large books are cheap/free classics like these from Golden Deer
https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/en...price-asc-rank

The most extreme example I have is the Complete Harvard classics which is over 70,000 pages.
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #1255
Rellwood
Library Breeder
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I won't deny that my first reaction was: Why are you counting the pages of a book you don't want?

But, it should handle this. I'll throw it on the TODO list, but, I'm not going to be in a rush to do it.
I tend to do a large batch of page counts and then realize (while it's running in the background) that I need to delete books for whatever reason. I forget that the pages are being counted.

It's not like I am counting pages on a couple of books. Sometimes I discover the books are only samples, or duplicates or whatever. I delete them and later realize when the plugin is through and goes to update the columns that I deleted a book in the list.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count pages, page count