Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #2566
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
I loved Liv Constantine's first book, The Last Mrs. Parrish, so I had high hopes for the second one, The Last Time I Saw You, narrated by Julia Whelan. What a disappointment.

Mrs. Parrish was elegant, well-crafted, twisty fun, but The Last Time I Saw You is a run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, Lifetime movie-type book. It's competent and entertaining enough, but it's not top-tier suspense. The usual tropes of the genre are all trotted out, without any of the cleverness that elevated the first book.

The characters are all mostly unlikable as well, and I spotted the villain of the piece early on.

Oh well. Maybe the next person on the long library waiting list will be more impressed than I was.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #2567
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finished up the Crown Tower. I had read it before as an ebook and liked it. I was a little off put by the narrator at first. He was using stereotypical British accents that really weren't quite what I was expecting, but he grew on me fairly quickly. He puts a lot of emotional content in his voice. When a character is joking around, he sounds cheerful. This may sound basic, but it's the problem that I have with a number of readers, they just don't seem to get into the mood of the scene. Anyway, he did a good job.

I haven't decided what the next book will be - I have a number of series at the moment. The latest Mercy Thompson book - Storm Cursed is out. I read the ebook when it came out at the beginning of the month and liked it. I have the next Alexis Carew, The Little Ships and I have the next Gemmel book, Waylander II. Decisions, decisions.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #2568
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2; Kobo Aura One; iPad Pro 9.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I loved Liv Constantine's first book, The Last Mrs. Parrish, so I had high hopes for the second one, The Last Time I Saw You, narrated by Julia Whelan. What a disappointment.

Mrs. Parrish was elegant, well-crafted, twisty fun, but The Last Time I Saw You is a run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, Lifetime movie-type book. It's competent and entertaining enough, but it's not top-tier suspense. The usual tropes of the genre are all trotted out, without any of the cleverness that elevated the first book.

The characters are all mostly unlikable as well, and I spotted the villain of the piece early on.

Oh well. Maybe the next person on the long library waiting list will be more impressed than I was.
Thanks for the info, Catlady! I really enjoyed The Last Mrs. Parrish too. I'm sorry to hear the next book was a disappointment. I just finished listening to Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight. I liked the teenage secret club and bullying themes but wasn't fully satisfied with the ending.

I'm currently whispersyncing the audio and ebooks of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins for the Literary Club. The multi-cast Blackstone version is a very enjoyable listen. It won an Audie Award for Best Classic Narration.

My library hold just became available today for Normal People by Sally Rooney, a 2019 Costa Book Award winner. I'm looking forward to this book as my next listen.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #2569
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
I'm now on to Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh, the first of a trilogy. This is an historical fiction about the opium production and trade centring on India with a wide cast of characters and separate storylines, with a major one being the voyage of the ship Ibis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My library hold just became available today for Normal People by Sally Rooney, a 2019 Costa Book Award winner. I'm looking forward to this book as my next listen.
That looks appealing; I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this book when you've finished!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #2570
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
Just finished reading the latest Bosch (and Ballard) book from Michael Connelly, Dark Sacred Night. Excellent, and one of the few times I have thought that having two readers was better than one.

I've also been listening to the Alexander Kent Bolitho series, mostly while swimming. Currently on Passage to Mutiny. These are narrated by Michael Jayston, and while not quite up to the Aubrey/Maturin series from O'Brian, they're still quite enjoyable. And perfect for a swimming read.

Next up, I'm going to start reading (well, OK, re-reading) the Jeeves and Wooster stories from P. G. Wodehouse, hopefully in mostly publication order, starting with The inimitable Jeeves. The version I have is read by Martin Jarvis.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #2571
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just finished reading the latest Bosch (and Ballard) book from Michael Connelly, Dark Sacred Night. Excellent, and one of the few times I have thought that having two readers was better than one
I just finished it, too, and I agree. Both readers were good* and it helps that each section of the book is clearly indicated as to which character's POV will be used.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next Bosch and Ballard book, and I also went back to the beginning: I'm just about to finish Bosch #1 (Black Echo).

I guess I like Mike Connelly. I may have to try the Lincoln Lawyer stuff too.

ApK

*I liked Titus Welliver reading Bosch, so I tried the Bosch TV series on Amazon where he plays him. TW is fine, but I don't care for the show overall.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #2572
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I rather enjoy the Amazon series. As for the Lincoln Lawyer books, I liked them. But they won't be a part of the Amazon Bosch series, even when the original book had him in it. Amazon doesn't own the rights to those books.

I ran across an interesting article on the process of narrating audio books: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/radi...gLsqVhofKL49II

Charlie.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:14 AM   #2573
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm now on to Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh, the first of a trilogy. This is an historical fiction about the opium production and trade centring on India with a wide cast of characters and separate storylines, with a major one being the voyage of the ship Ibis.

That looks appealing; I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this book when you've finished!
I loved Sea of Poppies. I should read the second book before I forget too much of the first!

I did not enjoy Normal People. It did not live up to my expectations given the critical acclaim that it has received. It was like a young adult coming-of-age university novel, infused with class issues, and told in the manner of brunt realism typical of Irish literature. I think I would have preferred more sentimentality in this "is but isn't" a love story. I had trouble engaging with the characters emotionally.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #2574
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, PW4, Voyage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I did not enjoy Normal People. It did not live up to my expectations given the critical acclaim that it has received. It was like a young adult coming-of-age university novel, infused with class issues, and told in the manner of brunt realism typical of Irish literature. I think I would have preferred more sentimentality in this "is but isn't" a love story. I had trouble engaging with the characters emotionally.
Thanks for saving me a credit! I had borrowed the ebook from my library, but I have an aversion to books in which dialogue is not indicated by quotation marks (or at least an em-dash in front) so I returned it after only reading a few pages. I toyed with getting the audiobook because I figured then I wouldn't be put off by the lack of punctuation, but I was still on the fence. Your review helped me decide to go in a different direction.
ElspethB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:21 AM   #2575
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I ran across an interesting article on the process of narrating audio books: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/radi...gLsqVhofKL49II
Thanks for the link, it was interesting!

I'm most of the way through Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's a worthwhile sequel to Children of Time, and solid sociologically-driven space opera all around. I did decide to start The Player of Games, one of Ian M. Banks' Culture novels, in text around the same time, and Tchaikovsky suffers a bit in the comparison. His strokes just seem a bit broader where it comes to both character and world-building. I usually try to keep my eyeball reads and my audio reads in different genres or with more thematic separation to avoid those kinds of comparisons, but I'm still enjoying both novels.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #2576
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I haven't decided what the next book will be - I have a number of series at the moment. The latest Mercy Thompson book - Storm Cursed is out. I read the ebook when it came out at the beginning of the month and liked it. I have the next Alexis Carew, The Little Ships and I have the next Gemmel book, Waylander II. Decisions, decisions.
Went with The Little Ships. It was well done and quite enjoyable. Just started on Storm Cursed. It will be interesting to see how differently I perceive the book given that I just read it a month ago and it's still fresh in my mind.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #2577
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Waylander was one of my favorite David Gemmell books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #2578
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I’m 8 hours into The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, the 2014 Pulitzer fiction winner and also 2014 Audie Award winner. At ~33 hours, it is the longest audiobook I’ve ever listened to! So far ok although I think there’s a lot of extra detail that could have been edited out.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #2579
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Waylander was one of my favorite David Gemmell books.
Apache
That's up next.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #2580
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer

Currently listening to The Body in the Castle Well, the latest Bruno, Chief of Police book from Martin Walker, narrated by Robert Ian Mackenzie. As always, a delightful listen, and an excellent narration. Though I do find his voice for the Americans in this one a bit too broad and flat. Really, I know we sound like that to those whose English originated in the U.K., but don't overdo it!

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations