Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post
Thanks for telling me - I don't know why my Calibre did not notify me.
I installed the update and repeated the attempt to connect with my Kobo Forma - still no luck...
Calibre does not notify for patches of the INSTALLED level, but it will only supply the patched version. The whats new page will show the current (patch) level. .0 is un-patched
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #17
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast
Maria Loranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre does not notify for patches of the INSTALLED level, but it will only supply the patched version. The whats new page will show the current (patch) level. .0 is un-patched
I did not know that - thanks!
Maria Loranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post
Thanks for telling me - I don't know why my Calibre did not notify me.
For any release, you will only get a popup notify msg once, after which you should get an unobtrusive reminder in the status line, viz.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-04-25 072055.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	170919

Aside: I have applications (e.g. bittorrent and download clients) that have an install time option to poke an 'allow' entry into the Windows firewall configuration - maybe the calibre msi's could have something similar.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Aside: I have applications (e.g. bittorrent and download clients) that have an install time option to poke an 'allow' entry into the Windows firewall configuration - maybe the calibre msi's could have something similar.
There's already a Windows firewall notification when one first runs the content server so I don't think it's necessary to add the exception upon install.

That said, I've seen reports of Windows 10 updates messing up existing firewall and security settings.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
There's already a Windows firewall notification when one first runs the content server so I don't think it's necessary to add the exception upon install.
Does it just notify or does it set the exclusion, the instances I quoted set the exclusions.

Most people will first run the server to 'have a look', and if they employ the principle of abundant caution they would be unlikely to allow calibre through the firewall on that occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That said, I've seen reports of Windows 10 updates messing up existing firewall and security settings.
Yeah, I've also seen reports of Windows Update burning someone's dinner because the Timer app stopped working -- Yet

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-24-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: add smiley
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Does it just notify or does it set the exclusion, the instances I quoted set the exclusions.

Most people will first run the server to 'have a look', and if they employ the principle of abundant caution they would be unlikely to allow calibre through the firewall on that occasion.
It asks to set exclusions when the content server is first started.

Mind, if someone is very cautious, I don't see why one would allow the firewall exclusion during install not knowing what it does as opposed to when one enables the content server where there are tooltips/descriptions of which might explain why the exception is needed.

Bittorrent clients, FTP servers, etc, I understand asking during install since that's their whole purpose. If I were unfamiliar with Calibre's features though, I'd wonder why a library management program would need a firewall exception.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote