Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #31
charles_cinci
Enthusiast
charles_cinci began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Last time I bought a book from B&N, was December of 2018...Nook for PC 2.5.6.9575 worked fine.

Today, I bought a couple new books, B&N before I could do so, I had to change my password.

Nook for PC isn't showing the books, even with repeated syncs.

Trying signing out so I could sign in with the new password, and I'm getting a message "We are experiencing technical difficulties at this time - please try again later. (Sign in:1016)"

I'm running Win8.1, so I can try installing the Nook for Windows app...
charles_cinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:19 PM   #32
cgsmom
Connoisseur
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus, Kindle PW4, iPhone 7, iPad Air 2, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cinci View Post
Last time I bought a book from B&N, was December of 2018...Nook for PC 2.5.6.9575 worked fine.

Today, I bought a couple new books, B&N before I could do so, I had to change my password.

Nook for PC isn't showing the books, even with repeated syncs.

Trying signing out so I could sign in with the new password, and I'm getting a message "We are experiencing technical difficulties at this time - please try again later. (Sign in:1016)"

I'm running Win8.1, so I can try installing the Nook for Windows app...
Same thing just happened to me. I am running Windows 10 and have used the Nook for Windows app. It opens my new book just fine. When I brought the new book into Calibre the drm was not removed. I thought it was because I had to change my password. When I try to generate a new B&N key in the tools I get an error.

"Could not retrieve key. Check username, password and internet connection and try again."

I checked all those things. No luck. Any help would be appreciated.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #33
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Retrieve the key (and the books, if you want) from the NOOK app for Android. I think that's the only way at the moment.

Brief instructions for retrieving the key from a rooted Android device are here.

The adb command line tool is installed as part of Android Studio.
The sqlite3 command line tool is here.

If you don't have a rooted Android phone or tablet, you can run the NOOK app in Android Studio's AVD emulator/virtual machine.

Book files are stored in main storage at "/data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books" or on the SD Card at "path_to_sdcard/Android/data/bn.ereader/files/Download". path_to_sdcard varies slightly by Android version and device, but is often "/storage/sdcard1" or something similar.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #34
cgsmom
Connoisseur
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow! That is more complicated than I want to tackle at the moment. I don't have a rooted Android device. I guess I won't be buying anything from BN for the foreseeable future. The book I just "bought" was the Free Friday selection so I'm not out any money.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully some of you really smart folks will make it simple again for us technically challenged folks.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #35
charles_cinci
Enthusiast
charles_cinci began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Difflugia post is spot on...

That's what I ended up doing...

Yeah, it's not as easy as it was...luckily I had an old S5 laying around I didn't mind rooting.
charles_cinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #36
Mims
Zealot
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Same thing just happened to me. I am running Windows 10 and have used the Nook for Windows app. It opens my new book just fine. When I brought the new book into Calibre the drm was not removed. I thought it was because I had to change my password. When I try to generate a new B&N key in the tools I get an error.

"Could not retrieve key. Check username, password and internet connection and try again."

I checked all those things. No luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Finally got around to checking if Nook or Nook study was still working on my pc (windows 7). Had to change password with same results as everyone else.

I still have my old nook color so turned it on and turned on WiFi. It immediately synced (without entering new account password) and showed a free book that I got to a couple of days ago in anticipation of checking out Nook on pc. When I clicked to download the book it asked me to enter the name on the credit card I had used to buy the book and the card number. I did and the book downloaded. Everything old is new again. 😮 Unfortunately there is no way to get it from the nook color to calibre.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #37
cgsmom
Connoisseur

I think it’s sad that Barnes & Noble has become so unimportant in the ebook world that no one is interested in solving this problem. It is way beyond my abilities. So, even though I just bought the new Nook Glowlight Plus, I won’t be buying any books from them.

Last edited by cgsmom; 06-07-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #38
Mims
Zealot
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
I agree. I haven’t bought anything from them in a very long time. Since you can get your book to Calibre, you might be able to use an old old old version of the tools that used social DRM.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote