Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
WilliamTi
WilliamTi began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 7
Nokia 7 Plus stock camera app connecting to Facebook servers

Yesterday while checking my AdGuard logs, I realized that my stock camera app had tried to connect to Facebook servers out of the blue. I haven't used facebook, opened my camera or anything like that. That seemed a bit strange.

Today I realized that every single time I take a photo or open up the camera, the camera app tries to connect to Facebook not only once but twice. Facebook wasn't used at all at this time and this happened every single time the camera was opened or a photo was taken.

Isn't this a huge privacy issue? Why would a stock camera app on an Android One phone need to reach out to Facebook servers? Doesn't seem too good, atleast not after the another Nokia privacy incident a while ago.

I sent a question about this to Nokia but haven't reveived a response yet.

EDIT: Tried to replicate one more time, getting even better with as much as FIVE connections to Facebook on app opening.
WilliamTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:32 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Are you quite sure you don't have Facebook syncing enabled on your FB account? Wouldn't quite matter which device you enabled it on if it wasn't your Nokia. Facebook wasn't used sounds like you have it setup on the phone at least?

If you are worried about privacy, then don't have a Facebook account and don't have the app installed.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:20 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is not "News". Moved to the Android forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote