Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 02-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
PTM1580
PTM1580 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
AI and Audiobooks

Hey guys, as a publisher we are looking to expand our Audiobook offerings, but the barrier for us is the cost of voice actors and we are doing research on whether or not there are any viable AI alternatives at this point.

I'd love to hear from Audiobook lovers if they:

1) Have experienced an Audiobook recorded entirely in/with AI.
2) What was the experience like?
3) Would you do it again?
4) Are there any great AI options out there for producing audio books?

Thanks all.
PTM1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Not even VAGUELY interested in artificial narrations. A major part of the value of a good audio book is the narrator, and a good narrator can take a good book and turn it into a great book. A bad narrator can take that same good book and have me asking for a refund. And if you took the time to read threads here, you'd notice that we discuss both our favourite narrators, and the ones we hate.

To directly answer your question, I did try Amazon's text-to-voice on my Kindle for a book I was familiar with. I lasted about 10 minutes and then completely disabled t2v.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
PTM1580
PTM1580 began at the beginning.

Wish the forum had a "like" button. I am unaware of any current implementation of AI voices used for Audiobooks, that's what I'm trying to find out. There is promising technology out there and perhaps, much sooner than later, it will be more commonplace, but as an avid Audiobook consumer, the voice acting is a big draw for me as well.

However...

This is coming.

Tacotron 2

Samples are pretty amazing.
PTM1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTM1580 View Post
Wish the forum had a "like" button. I am unaware of any current implementation of AI voices used for Audiobooks, that's what I'm trying to find out. There is promising technology out there and perhaps, much sooner than later, it will be more commonplace, but as an avid Audiobook consumer, the voice acting is a big draw for me as well.

However...

This is coming.

Tacotron 2

Samples are pretty amazing.
Consider why they still use voice actors in animated movies. If people didn't care about the quality of the voice actor, they would simply use one of the numerous text to voice programs.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I am both an audiobook listening and a text-to-speech listener and I honestly would not PAY for an AI narrated book. Why, when the best out there isn't much better than Amazon Fire's current text-to-speech?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would have to pass an Audiobook Turing Test: If I can tell it's a machine, I'm not interested. If I can't tell it's a machine, then there's no point in asking. Just give the AI a nom-de-plume, like Albert Innis or something , and don't tell me. Then I'll either like the "narrator's" performance or I won't, as with any human narrator.

Last edited by ApK; 03-04-2019 at 03:23 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote