Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
mikemck
Enthusiast
mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS 300, IPod Touch (Stanza)
Cracked Casing

Hi Guys.

So, I've discovered a tiny horseshoe shaped crack in the back casing of my 300. It's not huge, when I pointed it out to my wife I had to turn it a certain way for her to see it.

My concern is the crack spreading, I think it already has actually. (Or maybe I'm just freakishly paranoid). I did some searching in the forum, and in the Kindle forum, crazy glue was recommended to seal a cracked Kindle. Can anyone second this? I wouldn't mind having some feedback before I decide to proceed.

I haven't dropped it yet, and it's been in a case since I received it, so I'm not sure how it happened. The only reason I knew it was there was because I felt it with my finger when I was reading.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by mikemck; 01-13-2010 at 09:18 PM.
mikemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast
Zerhackermann began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Superglue might work. it sounds like a pretty thin crack though. So the glue might not actually get into the crack where it needs to be to do the job. Also, superglue dries with lightning speed, not giving you any time to work it into place. If it opens up enough to say get a fingernail into it, then you might go with an epoxy or something similar that give you a little time. Then you can use an old credit card or something similar as a putty knife to squeegee the glue into the crack and then scrape the excess for a clean finish. If the crack is too thin to get glue "inside" the crack, then you are better off gluing a piece of plastic over the crack like a bandage. But feeling that would annoy me more than the crack. I would wait and see if it gets worse before taking action.

Optimally, you should remove the case and repair it rather than fix the case with the electronics inside. But that is usually more than most people want to do.

oh and is the crack near a screw? I may have been over torqued at assembly
Zerhackermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Still under warranty? Return/exchange it?
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I'd send it back if it's still under warranty. I just wouldn't even attempt a repair - as that might void the warranty.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
mikemck
Enthusiast
mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I will just hang tight with it, and keep an eye on the crack. I really can't see myself trying to do an self repair.

It works fine, so right now I really can't justify taking it back, especially since the one I have now is a replacement from an earlier reader.

Mike
Old 01-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
woodworthjohnca
woodworthjohnca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
You could take a picture of the crack to serve as a reference (to see if it grows).
woodworthjohnca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
You may be able to get it repaired for a lot cheaper than breaking it by trying to fix it yourself then having to buy a new one.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
mikemck
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
You may be able to get it repaired for a lot cheaper than breaking it by trying to fix it yourself then having to buy a new one.
Agreed.