Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-01-2020, 05:08 AM   #91
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Thank you Tarana! What I recommend to you are the first 8 books in the Jaine Austen series by Laura Levine. Alas, I had tried to read the Goldy Bear series, but I gave book 1 1 star and didn't finish the second. So in the same genre there are many grounds available to cover.

Among finished series I recommend the Donut Hole cozy mystery series by Susan Gillard. They are very short e-books and number in 60 instalments. Good luck and thank you.
I just checked and bought the first two book packages (1-5 and 6-10) for little money, the series now numers 74
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:15 AM   #92
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
I just checked and bought the first two book packages (1-5 and 6-10) for little money, the series now numers 74
Roos, the Donut Hole mysteries comprise 60 books. It's the Oceanside series (the sequel to Donut Hole) that has 74 books. Both series are written by Susan Gillard, and both series have the same main characters, give or take a few exceptions.

So please be careful before spoiling the story for yourself.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #93
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
March is the one quarter of the way through 2020 and is every one 25% through their goals?

Personally I am probably 30% to the goal line. This will be a change from last year when I fell way short of my goals.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #94
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
March is the one quarter of the way through 2020 and is every one 25% through their goals?

Personally I am probably 30% to the goal line. This will be a change from last year when I fell way short of my goals.
The end of March is one quarter of the way through the year. The start of March is just 1/6th of the way through the year.

But I confess that with the new books bought in the past few days, my TBR is back up to what it was at the start of the year. So no, not even 1/6th of the way to my goal.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #95
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
February 2020 Cumulative Totals

Through the end of February 2020:

Goals:

Length Goals:
Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) | Total Pages: 25,000 | ETBR Reduction: 25 | PTBR Reduction: 10
Substantive Goals:
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/nonbinary authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club/Literary Book Club selections

Cumulative 2020 Totals:

29 books - 58% of my goal (29% of stretch) - On Target
22 short stories - 42% of my goal - On Target
8,741 pages - 34% of my goal - On Target
51% female/nonbinary authors / 49% male authors - On Target
31% US authors / 69% non-US authors - On Target
ETBR Reduction: Reduced by 6 - 24% of my goal - On Target
PTBR Reduction: Reduced by 1 - 10% of my goal - On Target

Overall TBR Reduction - 12 - did not have a goal here, but happy with the number!
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:11 AM   #96
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've decided to terminate my Reading Challenge for 1000 + pages books only. Apart from being quite narcissistic, it was also a difficult(which is what prompted me to make the challenge), miserable, and ridiculous challenge. I've switched my target from 7 books to 52. I'm currently 6 books behind according to GR.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #97
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
That seems like a good change. If you're not enjoying a book that's 200 pages you can power through and finish it. If you're not enjoying a book that's 1200 pages you either drop it or you have a few miserable weeks ahead.

I do track my 5 longest books, and have a target for the total page count. It does come from a challenge a few years ago to read 5 long books, where I aimed for an average of 1000 pages per book, but that was mainly because I had 5 long books I wanted to read (and one of them - Lonesome Dove - was a little shy of the 1000). These days it's just for fun, and to make sure I don't pad out my list with super-short books.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #98
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I've decided to terminate my Reading Challenge for 1000 + pages books only. Apart from being quite narcissistic, it was also a difficult(which is what prompted me to make the challenge), miserable, and ridiculous challenge. I've switched my target from 7 books to 52. I'm currently 6 books behind according to GR.
Great decision. Reading is for love, not for misery. The point of challenges is to make reading even more fun, not to suck all the joy out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I do track my 5 longest books, and have a target for the total page count. It does come from a challenge a few years ago to read 5 long books, where I aimed for an average of 1000 pages per book, but that was mainly because I had 5 long books I wanted to read (and one of them - Lonesome Dove - was a little shy of the 1000). These days it's just for fun, and to make sure I don't pad out my list with super-short books.
I keep an eye on page total and average number of pages per book with the Goodreads tracker for the current year. My reading goal for the year is just a benchmark; just the same, as with you, watching pages read as well as books keeps it honest.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #99
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
That seems like a good change. If you're not enjoying a book that's 200 pages you can power through and finish it. If you're not enjoying a book that's 1200 pages you either drop it or you have a few miserable weeks ahead.

I thought I had all the odds in my favor. I took such care in choosing my books. What a rude awakening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Great decision. Reading is for love, not for misery. The point of challenges is to make reading even more fun, not to suck all the joy out of it.

I keep an eye on page total and average number of pages per book with the Goodreads tracker for the current year. My reading goal for the year is just a benchmark; just the same, as with you, watching pages read as well as books keeps it honest.
Thank you, issybird. You're awesome.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #100
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
My "official goal" is to read 52 books, but my "real" unofficial goal is to reach 100. Anyone else play those kind of mental games?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #101
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
My "official goal" is to read 52 books, but my "real" unofficial goal is to reach 100. Anyone else play those kind of mental games?
Yup. And not just with books; my daily steps have an official goal and an aspirational goal also. But I figure it’s useful; sometimes the baseline is the best I can do and there’s no point in setting myself up for failure; it still works as a goad.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #102
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

51% done, Yeah me.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #103
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am on book 13 for the year. "Enter Night" by Michael Rowe. WOW is it ever good! Best vampire story since Salem's Lot! Good character development. Kills described elegantly and detailed. There is a good description of the afterlife here. It's brief. Will not tell details so as not to spoil it. I am 50% threw it the first day and so far story is very well told.

Before that I read "The Deep" by Alma Katsu. She likes to take a real-life history story and add a horror twist. It was not as good as "The Hunger" about the Donnor party. This is about the Titanic. I was not too happy with it for no real horror element that happened until you are 90% in the book. There are a few horror elements earlier but not at all worth mentioning. Now it was still a good book but just not as good as "The Hunger"
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #104
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
End of March and I'm meeting one of my goals - at least 3,000 pages per month. 43 books so far. I moved my novellas and short stories to another section. I am mostly listening to audiobooks, so once I finish my current ebook, I'll move on to magazines for the rest of the month.

My TBR is up because of all the freebie deals due to stay-at-home from both companies and authors. Estories added 5 free credits with no mention, so got a couple of Stephen King and Lois Bujold McMaster books. Torn between the freebies on Audible US (Les Miserables and Roots) and listening to the stuff I bought. Both are pretty long books and don't know how long they will be there. I cancelled all my library requests to let those who are homebound without other options to make use of the ebooks/audiobooks available.

I'm listening/reading the Shannara series, the Dresden Series, Vorkosigan series and The Chronicles of St Mary's series. All are so enjoyable - some are rereads, some are books I never read before. I throw in the occasional detective novel. Getting a lot of downsizing and stitching done while on stay-at-home orders.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #105
jbcohen
Wizard

63% Yea Me again