Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I don't recall any books scaring me when I was young. I do remember being disturbed by The Pearl when I was 13 or so. Never really got over it...

I read Helter Skelter when I was 14 or so. It was certainly appalling, but I think at that age I was very removed from that kind of horror, and hadn't seen enough of the real world yet to really get it.

As an adult, it's much harder for me to read such things. I had to put For a Song and a Hundred Songs: A Poet's Journey Through a Chinese Prison aside because it was so brutal.
I was 13 when I saw Helter Skelter on TV. Didn't disturb me at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #47
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was 13 when I saw Helter Skelter on TV.

That explains it.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
As a kid (and as an adult) I loved creepy stories and they didn't really disturb me at all. I remember loving The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Rip Van Winkle and Tailypo as a kid.

The book that really disturbed me was a copy my grandmother had of Babes in the Wood. The story of two children sent to the woods to be murdered, escape that and wander in the woods until they die of exposure. That messed with me.

Another book that I'd love to find again was a children's book, written from the perspective of a kid, laying in bed with his face to the wall. He senses a monster creeping into his room and up to his bed to eat him before it abruptly leaves. Finally, the kid rolls over, the room is empty, he goes to the window and sees the tail of the monster as it heads down the street. The whole book was based on hearing the creak of the stairs, door, floorboards, the hot breath on his back. It was creepy and inappropriate and I loved it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:12 AM   #49
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
(...) It was creepy and inappropriate and I loved it.
Are you sure you are talking about a book? Because this sounds like my ex-boyfriend.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #50
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Johnny Tremain - his hand being crippled by molten silver!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #51
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Brave New World traumatized me as an adult!

I don't recall any books but there were a few movies.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #52
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Nope. I guess I just loved reading so much that nothing disturbed me. My mom gave me an illustrated, annotated collection of Poe stories for my 8th birthday, and I gobbled 'em up. Tell-Tale Heart, Pit and the Pendulum, Murders in the Rue Morgue. Great stuff!
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #53
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
The only traumatic childhood book I remember was the textbook for Government class (now called "Political Science") back in Junior High (now called "Middle School").
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #54
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I remember a book of Canadian Folklore and legend that included a section of urban folktales (cars and hands and aaarrrggghhh).
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Brave New World traumatized me as an adult!

I don't recall any books but there were a few movies.
Have a watch of the TV series and let us know if it's as traumatizing as the book.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:04 PM   #56
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
For my son it was the Bible. Specifically, the one the Nun used to hit him over the head with.
True story.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #57
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Edger Alan POE <pick almost any title >
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #58
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
I only recall 2 books that traumatized me as a child:
1) Swiss Family Robinson. The snake scene (eating the donkey) was extremely disturbing. Up until then, I didn't know snakes could get that big and I was horrified by the idea of the donkey being slowly digested (and the idea that the same could possibly happen to a human.) I don't know how old I was when I read it, but it was before I turned 9.
2) In middle school (10 to 12 years old) I read a lot of Stephen King. Obviously, many of his stories are creepy/scary. But the one that disturbed me the most was "The Apt Pupil", because the "monster" was a human and I found that scarier than anything that was obviously imaginary.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #59
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Stranger Than Science," by Frank Edwards.

One event about spontaneous combustion scared the living crap out of me. The book is fascinating.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #60
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
No trauma, but the beginning of a lifelong love for an author: As a child in school, I was 11-12 years old when the teacher told us to borrow a serious big book from the school library and read it through during the long summer vacations. I took "Stephen King - Pet Sematary". I didn't know anything about it and neither did the teacher, otherwise it was not allowed. I was scared but could not stop.

A world opened up to me. I am eternally grateful to the teacher.
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote