Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2021, 09:02 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Kobo Sage opinions

As a big fan of the KA1, a brief glimpse of the Kobo Sage gives a favorable reaction.

What are the opinions of folks here?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Much heavier than the current Kobos. But it looks pretty, I admit.

I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna get it. Depends on what the early adopters here think after it's been released.

I don't need another ereader, of course. But it's hard to resist...
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'm fairly happy with my Forma. If it stopped working today, I would order a Sage.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
As a big fan of the KA1, a brief glimpse of the Kobo Sage gives a favorable reaction.

I've got one ordered. I'm also a dedicated Aura ONE guy, but the battery is getting pretty wonky. The Sage seems like the closest I may come to the upgraded Aura ONE I hoped for, but we'll see.
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
I've given up on Amazon ever releasing a Kindle that uses a stylus, and I thought the Onyx 10.3 inch device I owned back in 2017 or 2018 was too big, (not to mention that the apps I wanted to use on it weren't designed for e-ink so they didn't perform very well.) The Sage interests me a lot.

I just read that the Ellipsa works with some non-Kobo active stylus pens like the Bamboo Ink when it's in Microsoft Pen Protocol Mode. Since I've got a Surface Book 3 with a pen, that will hopefully save me money.
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #6
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Ordered one.
Was eying on a Forma for a while, but the lack of USB-C and the anemic processor always dissuaded me to pull the trigger.
I have no interest in the Stylus / pen part and I hope the flyer needed for it (if any) does not impact the contrast / clarity of the text.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I’ve ordered one, the actual dark mode support is enough of a pull for me since I read in it exclusively or near enough. The redesign is interesting. I do like the weight of the Forma but I have an H2O which is apparently comparable to the Sage in weight being 7grams lighter than the Sage and it’s not bad.

If I were still on the H2O or KA1 I’d have easily upgraded regardless of dark mode. It’s a closer call on the Forma but I’ve been good about sporadic spending, and I’m interested in the power case when that releases, if the Sages battery life is even an issue that is.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #8
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
If they had announced the Sage a month ago I would have ordered one that day. However I got tired of waiting for some hint of an upcoming Forma upgrade and bought a Boox Nova Air instead. I do not regret the purchase at all but do wish there was an origami sleep cover available like the Sage has.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #9
benbook
benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1
MUCH too wide.

But my KAO is still going strong so .... :-)
benbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Anyone think you'll be able to sideload MP3 files and use the built-in audiobook player? I've wanted to do that with my Kindle, but it's locked in to only Audible purchases.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #11
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
seems to be the same with the Kobo. Maybe a patch will allow to play any mp3
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Anyone think you'll be able to sideload MP3 files and use the built-in audiobook player? I've wanted to do that with my Kindle, but it's locked in to only Audible purchases.
I’d hope Kobo wouldn’t lock the device down there, given that overdrive uses MP3 and Kobo still has close ties to OD.

I don’t see what locking it down would serve Kobo given they’re so open with side loaded ebooks, and unlike Amazon don’t have an audiobook service (that I’m aware of) like Audible. They sell individual audiobooks. The supported formats on the Sages page are the only thing making me question it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #13
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I’d hope Kobo wouldn’t lock the device down there, given that overdrive uses MP3 and Kobo still has close ties to OD.

I don’t see what locking it down would serve Kobo given they’re so open with side loaded ebooks, and unlike Amazon don’t have an audiobook service (that I’m aware of) like Audible. They sell individual audiobooks. The supported formats on the Sages page are the only thing making me question it.
Yeah, that's my hope. It can't be too different of a format, even if we have to change file extensions or something. But, as you say, the wording seems pretty clear about using Kobo audiobooks.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #14
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I ordered a Forma (on sale) mid-September and am delighted with it! I always wanted one due to the lighter weight and the battery life is now diminishing on my Aura ONE, so I treated myself.

No regrets, glad I jumped on it. The Sage looks like a nice device, but for my taste, I prefer a lighter device when going to an 8" screen. Weight is more important to me than things like USB-C, more memory, Bluetooth/audiobooks (wouldn't use) or even buttons (only sometimes use).

I have done fine with the Aura One at a heavier weight than the Forma, but the rectangular shape is better for balance in my hands. I don't think I'd care for 20% more weight in the square-ish shape of Forma/Sage! I had to get used to the Forma as it was.

I wouldn't mind the faster processor in the Sage, but the Forma is just fine.

My Aura One's battery will eventually get worse, at that point, I may consider a Sage on sale at that point, as it is very nice having two 8" readers to switch between when one needs charging.

BUT, if I didn't already have an 8" device, I'd probably buy the Sage.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post

As a VERY happy Libra owner, my opinion of the Sage is that seems interesting enough to consider, and if the "Aye Carumba, where have you been all my life, ereader of my dreams?" reviews here outnumber both the "begone fowl Spawn of Satan!" and the "much ado about nothing much" reviews by a large enough margin, I'll probably get one.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote