Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-14-2021, 03:14 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Touch Lux 3 screen on Touch Lux 2 — almost

I've mentioned the Touch Lux 3 I bought a couple years ago on eBay that wouldn't keep a charge (the battery would drain in an hour or so even after I replaced the battery). So I found another (what was supposed to be) Touch Lux 3 with a broken screen on eBay recently (but it turned out to be a Touch Lux 2). In the archives of this forum I found that the Touch Lux 2 (which came with a Pearl screen) would work with the Touch Lux 3's E-Carta screen. So cool. I used the TL3's screen and front bezel, screwed on the TL2's board and used its battery (since the charge was about 97% as shipped and the battery leads were soldered to the board). I planned on using the TL2's back cover as well as it's in nicer shape than the TL3's.

It seemed to go well. Turned it on, light lit, it opened to an empty main screen, buttons worked... but the not the touch screen. After a little experimentation I figured which cables did what (main cable, light cable and touch cable). I reseated the cables several times, tried various resetting procedures, but no go. The touch screen was working on the TL3, but the screen connection for the TL3 appears to have a different chipset than the TL2's. It's also possible that the board from the TL2 was already damaged and the touch just doesn't work on that board. (No obvious damage.)

At any rate, not sure how it can be done, but would it be possible to install the TL3's microSD into the TL2's board? And would that make a difference? I'm just hoping that something in the TL3 firmware would get the touch layer on the screen to work.

Also, is there any way to upgrade the firmware without access to the TL3/TL2 Frankenstein's touch screen?

Sorry to ramble. Thanks for any info or tips.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-14-2021 at 03:16 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:33 AM   #2
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
It can be done but you need Linux to achieve that.
Just check on the ribbon cable which touchscreen you have and replace the file default.wbf (in the boot partition) with the file that correspondents with your screen (for instance if your screen is an ED060XD4U2 rename 320_G110_AA9224_ED060XD4U2_TC.wbf into default.wbf and put it in the boot partition).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Driver.zip (198.6 KB, 141 views)
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2021, 06:16 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
It can be done but you need Linux to achieve that.
Just check on the ribbon cable which touchscreen you have and replace the file default.wbf (in the boot partition) with the file that correspondents with your screen (for instance if your screen is an ED060XD4U2 rename 320_G110_AA9224_ED060XD4U2_TC.wbf into default.wbf and put it in the boot partition).
Thanks! And thanks for the drivers.

This sounds good (and I do use Linux) but I'm not sure how to connect my computer to the PocketBook without being able to use the touchscreen(?).
Old 09-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That will not work either. You need to remove the internal microsd und use a cardreader and Linux to achieve, what I proposed.

PS: All my Pocketbooks are set to automatic storage mode since all other modes are a culprit if the screen breaks.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 09-14-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That will not work either. You need to remove the internal microsd und use a cardreader and Linux to achieve, what I proposed.
Linux Mint has made it too easy on me. I don't know how to mount a microSD card that isn't an sda.

fdisk -l
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1 GiB, 1073741824 bytes, 2097152 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

lsblk
mmcblk0 179:0 0 1G 1 disk

I did find your instructions for making an image of the microSD card and also have also extracted the serial number — so I think the Card is good, but mounting it has been a challenge for an idiot like me. I also have the default.wbf waiting to copy to the microSD card.

Thanks, btw. If nothing else, this is interesting.
Advert
Old 09-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru

On the internal SD of my device I found this partitions:
/dev/sdb1 fat32 3,2GB
/dev/sdb2 fat16 32MB
/dev/sdb7 ext2 34,5MB
/dev/sdb8 ext2 244,5MB
/dev/sdb9 ext2 98MB
/dev/sdb10 ext2 cramfs 16MB

Boot partition is the Fat16 one, ergo: /dev/sdb2 fat16 32MB
Only this partition has to be mounted and manipulated.

Creating an image before, that can be copied back is a good idea. Howto is written somewhere here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=278728
Old 09-14-2021, 05:49 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
On the internal SD of my device I found this partitions:
/dev/sdb1 fat32 3,2GB
/dev/sdb2 fat16 32MB
/dev/sdb7 ext2 34,5MB
/dev/sdb8 ext2 244,5MB
/dev/sdb9 ext2 98MB
/dev/sdb10 ext2 cramfs 16MB

Boot partition is the Fat16 one, ergo: /dev/sdb2 fat16 32MB
Only this partition has to be mounted and manipulated.
It turns out I somehow damaged the microSD from the TL2. That's why I kept getting the errors. So I guess the image I saved is about worthless — though it did allow me to (somehow) extract the serial number? I tried putting this microSD back into the board and it's dead. It may be possible to rebuild the partitions, but well above my abilities.

Meanwhile, I pulled the microSD out of the TL3 board and its partitions were automatically mounted — nine of them all labeled mmcblk0pt1 - 10. The boot sector mounted as "volumn" on my desktop and there I found the wbf files. Just for the "fun of it" I tried naming each of your five wbf drivers "default" but, except for one which didn't boot at all, they all did the same as the old TL2 microSD did before I destroyed it. Booted up fine, nice screen, no touch. I'm guessing I may have a problem with the serial number now (since the microSD from the TL3 obviously (or not?) matches the board). (Or is the serial number all self-contained in the microSD?) I've currently reset the right wbf file to default.wbf. I guess it's still possible that whatever controls touch features on the TL2 board was damaged.

But I probably could have had this working if I wasn't so stupid in the way I tried to pry the microSD out of the TL2 board. At least I learned that "trick."

I've currently backed up the TL3 microSD and will try extracting its serial number once I find your command to do it. I might try to find if there is any short that is obvious on the original TL3 board that would cause the rapid battery drain.

At any rate, I wanted to let you know what I messed up and why I wasn't getting the expected results. Sorry for the extra hassle. Thanks again for all the information.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:53 AM   #8
nhedgehog
Guru

As I wrote you privately, you can just swap the boards and use the TL2 board on the TL3 machine with the TL3 MicroSD.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:19 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
As I wrote you privately, you can just swap the boards and use the TL2 board on the TL3 machine with the TL3 MicroSD.
I meant to get back to you. Somehow I lost the lighting on the good screen with the TL2 board installed and I thought I had somehow shorted it out (either the board or the screen itself). So I got frustrated with it and put it down for a couple days. Today I went ahead and changed out boards and (I'm happy to say) both TL2 and TL3 lit their original screens, so it looks like it's down to firmware again. I think I am going to eventually take advantage of the repair service you suggested as (I think) I've tried all five touch drivers with the TL3 microSD on in the TL2 board and none will give me a touch screen (unless I'm leaving out a step?). And now I may have lost the light with this combination. My attempts at creating another TL3 microSD seems to work. I can mount the image in Linux and the file structure seems good but when I try that new microSD in in the reader I just get a continuous hourglass loading. I'm guessing I'm missing a step somewhere.

At any rate, thanks. Sometime this weekend I'll probably "attack" it again but, for now, I think it's just best to avoid it for a day or two.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:45 AM   #10
nhedgehog
Guru

You can't just copy the microsd. It is copyprotected resulting in the hourglas screen. See here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=278728