Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
superbet
Time Lord
superbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage
Looking for advice - Upgrade from PW1 to Voyage

Is it worth the change?

I love my PW1. The only problem I have is that the dictionary works whenever it wants and, as I read books in english (being english my second language) sometimes it makes me want to throw it through the window....

Last edited by superbet; 12-14-2014 at 09:21 PM.
superbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
A. I'd try "reset device" and see if it solves your dictionary problem. I love the dictionary in my PW.

B. I ordered a Voyage but since I live in Mexico it was sent to my sister in the U.S. who will bring it too me in February. She has the PW1 and she says the difference is amazing and she loves her new Voyage. She says it's a shame mine never showed up.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
superbet
Time Lord
superbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I tried that and more... Even pray to it... Hahaha!

February? At least you have it for sure. I live in Argentina. I have to cross my fingers and see if I can find it here

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbet View Post
I tried that and more... Even pray to it... Hahaha!

February? At least you have it for sure. I live in Argentina. I have to cross my fingers and see if I can find it here

Thanks!
The most likely reason that a dictionary wouldn't work would be if a book had the wrong "language code" set in its metadata. The Kindle will use a dictionary which is specific to the language of the book so, for example, a word will only be looked up in the English dictionary if the language of the book is set to English in the book's metadata.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I did exactly that. Upgraded from my PW1 to the Voyage.

I would say yes, with some reservations.

1) I received around $64 for my PW1 from Amazon, which I was happy with.
2) I got $40 credit for renewing Prime at the same time (which I would have done anyway).

The Kindle Voyage is a nice device and has some UI features that the PW1 has yet to receive.
But it is way too expensive. They are charging a premium price for mid-level features.
For that price, I would have expected a little larger screen, faster speeds, updated UI (still looks like the one I was using on my PW1), better Web experience.
I noticed the higher resolution but it is minimal to me. My Kindle 3 3G (which I still own) text still looks pin sharp to me.
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
superbet
Time Lord

Hi Harry! My problem with the dictionary is that it activates whenever it wants. When it wants to work, works great. It's like sometimes the screen doesn't recognize my long tap and just changes the page. I tried resetting, etc... I have to live with it....

Well.... The Voyage is still not here... Just some PW....
Old 12-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I upgraded from a PW1 to a Voyage and I'm glad I did - I really love the screen, both the quality of letters and I'm surprised by how much I like the flat surface. It's lovely.

Interestingly, the thing that made me really want it - the ability to press pages on the bezel - I never use it all and actually dislike. It doesn't feel like a natural amount of pressure at any setting and the vibrancy feedback doesn't work as 'feedback' to my brain. So I do still miss the page turn buttons from the original kindles
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Paperwhite 4
I also went from a PW1 to a Voyage and am happy I did. The size was limiting how much of my library I could carry around, and if I was going to upgrade anyway why not go for the clearer text! It's noticeably faster than my PW1 at registering touches IMO.

I was sure I would never use the page turn on the bezel but I actually do. Since I mostly read in a dark room I've considered doing something to indicate where the sensors are as I can't see the lines.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I am likewise very pleased with upgrading to the voyage from the PW1. The size difference is more dramatic than the weight difference. Also there is a noticeable boost in speed, which I see both in opening books and in using the dictionary. Additionally, the Voyage includes a few more translation dictionaries than come with the PW1. I tried transferring them to my PW1, but to no avail. Depending upon the languages you use, this might be handy. I do not have a full list, but there was definitely a full set of Russian dictionaries that was not available before.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
superbet
Time Lord

I hate you guys! Yesterday I went to some shops where you can find this kind of things and it's not here, at least for a while.... Stop saying how AMAZING this Kindle is...
Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #11
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I am likewise very pleased with upgrading to the voyage from the PW1. The size difference is more dramatic than the weight difference. Also there is a noticeable boost in speed, which I see both in opening books and in using the dictionary. Additionally, the Voyage includes a few more translation dictionaries than come with the PW1. I tried transferring them to my PW1, but to no avail. Depending upon the languages you use, this might be handy. I do not have a full list, but there was definitely a full set of Russian dictionaries that was not available before.
Including Russian-English?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #12
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Including Russian-English?

Yes. Russian-English, English-Russian, and Russian-Russian
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
1. ABBYY Lingvo Большой Толковый Словарь Русского Языка (Explanatory dictionary)
2. ABBYY Lingvo Comprehensive Russian-English Dictionary.
3. ABBYY Lingvo Большой Англо-Русский Словарь (English-Russian)

Russian-English and Explanatory have stress marks on Russian keywords.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbet View Post
I hate you guys! Yesterday I went to some shops where you can find this kind of things and it's not here, at least for a while.... Stop saying how AMAZING this Kindle is...
But, it helps if you get a Voyage that doesn't have color shifts when using the light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote