Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Upgrade from Paperwhite 4 to Voyage

As the title states this is what I did. Sold my 2019 Paperwhite for a second hand Kindle Voyage. After selling the paperwhite and purchasing a 2nd hand Voyage with Origami case I even had £10 change left to buy some ebooks.

Overall, I'm really impressed by the Voyage and enjoy reading on it way more. Couple of key points:

1. Ergonomics. The Voyage is a pleasure to hold. Super slim and comfortable and actually pocketable. It just feels way more premium than the Paperwhite.

2. The Screen. I'm not sure why but the contrast and clarity of text is seem significantly better on the Voyage. It reminds me of the old Kindle Keyboard clarity before Amazon make the jump to capacitive screens - which seemed to introduced a diffusive blurry quality to the screen, but the Voyage seems to avoid this somehow.

3. The haptic page turns. Love these more than I expected. Once again I miss the old Kindle Keyboard buttons and for me the flush haptic implementation is the best of both worlds. Gives me solid page turns without introducing mechanical buttons that collect dust and enlarge the unit's size (re Oasis).

4. The Oragami case. This is the most surprising positive. I never realised how convenient standing the kindle up can be. I now read way more over breakfast and in the bathroom. It's just super convenient and I don't think I could go back to a normal case anymore.

I hope you find my impressions useful. Here's hoping one day Amazon release a new Voyage. So far I'm not sold on the larger physical size of the Oasis, although I appreciate they're also great e-readers.

Last edited by max99; 09-27-2021 at 09:34 AM.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yep, the Voyage had the best screen of all ereaders I've ever seen, including the latest Oasis. I sold mine, though. Didn't like the ergonomics or haptic buttons, and 6'' is too small for me. I far preferred the Oasis and my Voyage just gathered dust on the shelf.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #3
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
IMHO, the Voyage is, hands down, the best Kindle that Amazon has ever released.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:43 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
For me the ideal einkreader would have these attributes:

Page shift buttons
The size of Oasis 3 or Kobo Forma
A screen as the Voyage
The user interface of Kobo using kepub.

It is really strange that not all newer ereaders haven't inherited the quality screen of the Voyage.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:20 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post

It is really strange that not all newer ereaders haven't inherited the quality screen of the Voyage.
I'm guessing it was too expensive to produce. That's possibly the reason they abandoned the Voyage line after just one model.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #6
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
It was also very fragile due to the glass layer. I just broke mine. It literally fell about 3 inches onto a hard surface face down (but in the origami case). I’m heartbroken, as it was brand new purchased on eBay only a couple of months ago. I had hoped to get many happy years of use from it.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:44 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
It was also very fragile due to the glass layer. I just broke mine. It literally fell about 3 inches onto a hard surface face down (but in the origami case). I’m heartbroken, as it was brand new purchased on eBay only a couple of months ago. I had hoped to get many happy years of use from it.
Most ereaders have a glass layer. The Voyage is no more fragile than others.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
Overall, I'm really impressed by the Voyage and enjoy reading on it way more. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
IMHO, the Voyage is, hands down, the best Kindle that Amazon has ever released.
I got mine used on Shop Goodwill. I can't see buying another Kindle unless I find a backup Voyage for a reasonable price. I think any other Kindle would be a step down for me. Unfortunately I don't think Amazon has any interest in building a new one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing it must have hit "just right," because I don't think the Voyage is any more fragile than any reader with a glass backplane. Hopefully another batch of them will be released on eBay. Currently the pickings are looking pretty slim.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #10
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Slightly offtopic, but weren't people complaining about the Voyage's screen when it was first launched, I believe uneven color tone?

(If so, I'd guess it was some sort of manufacturing issue that was corrected quickly)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Slightly offtopic, but weren't people complaining about the Voyage's screen when it was first launched, I believe uneven color tone?

(If so, I'd guess it was some sort of manufacturing issue that was corrected quickly)
Yes, it was uneven. I bought mine 1,5 years after release (new from Amazon) and it was still uneven. But the contrast was the best, darkest and sharpest I've ever seen.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:03 AM   #12
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We have multiple Voyages. Nothing is as sharp and clear.

I wish it was a bit larger and had warm light, but I'll take that gorgeous screen above all else.

Best e-reader I've ever seen -- and I've tried most all of them
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:30 AM   #13
mrpops
mrpops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I also hope one day amazon release another voyage. The backlash from the haptic feedback was largely because users were coming off the back of kindle 3 keyboard i think and missed having real physical keys.

The voyage is by far the best i've seen, in terms of sharpness / contrast. does anything top it?
mrpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpops View Post
...The backlash from the haptic feedback was largely because users were coming off the back of kindle 3 keyboard i think and missed having real physical keys.

Seems unlikely. there were a couple if touch screen Kindles before the Voyage, so people were likely weened from the keyboard earlier.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Seems unlikely. there were a couple if touch screen Kindles before the Voyage, so people were likely weened from the keyboard earlier.
Not necessarily. There were also touchless basic Kindles with buttons, which were released in 2011 and 2012. I came to my Voyage from one of those, as I was not willing to give up buttons and so never got myself a touch-only Kindle.