Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Lightbulb How to install "incompatible" apps to Boox M96+T68. IVONA TTS, ACAPELA TTS etc.

Since lots of curious users are permanently asking, how to install to Onyx Boox M96 and T68 some apps, which are not visible in Play Store by default because of compatibility issue, I have here some more detailed instructions:

First step - root your device:
  1. download this program: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Bin4ry_v33.zip
  2. Unzip it on your PC.
  3. USB debugging mode on your Boox must be on (is on by default). You can check it in apps->settings>developer options.
  4. Connect your Boox to this PC.
  5. Start RunMe.bat in unzipped folder. You will see a DOS window. Select option "1. New Standard-Root (thx Ariel Berkman)" and enter.
  6. You will be asked to confirm backup operation. On Boox click on "Backup my data" once.
  7. In DOS window you will be asked to "press any key" and afterwards to confirm RESTORE MY DATA. Click "Restore my data" on Boox and afterwards go back to DOS window on PC and press "Any Key".
  8. You Boox will reboot. After rebooting of Boox press Any Key in DOS window again. Your Boox will reboot a second time.

After reboot is all done. YOur boox is rooted now. If you don't have Any Key on your keyboard, please ask your PC seller for proper keyboard with this special key ;-)

You already can install some useful apps, which require root mode. (E.g. my first choice could be AdAway)

Second step
  1. Download and install on your Boox this magic application: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Helper-1.1.apk.
  2. Please insure WiFi of your Boox is on and you are connected with your Google account to the internet.
  3. Start Market Helper. Select device PHONE, Select "Samsung Galaxy S3". Click on "Activate". Click on grey link in appeared dialogue "Go to Google Dashboard" (don't cklick on OK yet) and sign in in your Google account.

That is it.

You can close the browser, go to the Play Store and install every application you desire now.
e.g. IVONA TTS, Acapela TTS, Safari to go, ....etc. ...

After reboot your Boox will forget, that it was for a short time Samsung Galaxy S3 once ;-) If you want to install incompatible apps, you have to use the magic of Market Helper again.

After installation of Onyx updates the root mode will go off, but all yours installed apps will be there and keep working just fine. If you want to install new incompatible stuff - go to the step 1.

Last edited by Booxtor; 07-08-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
PremaEbooks
Zealot
PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle(all), Nook, Sony, Onyx Boox, iPad 2
Thanks a lot!!!!
This is getting better by minutes...

EDIT:

It doesn't work from Spain.
Whatever I choose the answer is «This device is not ROOTED...»
I've tried all PHONE and TABLET options.

In OPERATOR I select *Spain---->Movistar

Maybe the * before Spain is the clue that is not possible in my country

EDIT 2:
Ok, My fault. Wanted to do it so quickly that didn't do the back up. Thats the reason it didn't work the first time.
Now it is

Thanks!

Last edited by PremaEbooks; 07-09-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Error
PremaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
Booxtor, I have purchased this ereader in your website.
Is it better this "temporary" root than a permanent root?
Is there a recovery for the t68?

Thanks in advance
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levante View Post
Booxtor, I have purchased this ereader in your website.
Is it better this "temporary" root than a permanent root?
Is there a recovery for the t68?

Thanks in advance
The root mode will be set as long you don't update your device.
SuperSU app is installed and you just must be careful, when a new app asks for root privileges. Permanent root is only then necessary, when you are going to use some apps, which need such a mode.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
Thank you, i did not read it well.
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
pcster
pcster began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox T68 Lynx
Root failed...

I need some help getting my T68 Lynx rooted I've followed Booxtor guide, but with no luck I've added a print screen.

I've also tried with Towelroot, however as soon as I hit "make it ra1n", it crashes.

Any help would be really appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sfdgsdsdgsdgsdg.png
Views:	1063
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	125184  
pcster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
PremaEbooks
Zealot
PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcster View Post
I need some help getting my T68 Lynx rooted I've followed Booxtor guide, but with no luck I've added a print screen.

I've also tried with Towelroot, however as soon as I hit "make it ra1n", it crashes.

Any help would be really appreciated
I think that you are doing the same I did.

When you are asked to make a backup, do you follow the steps shown on your T68?
Because that's what I did wrong...
maybe you have to exit the USB mode in order to see those steps...
Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
pcster
pcster began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox T68 Lynx
Succsess

Yeah I followed the steps, but it still didn't work, however I downloaded a new file browser and installed Towelroot again, and that time it asked me if I wanted to complete the action with the "Package installer" or "Verify and install" when I chose the latter it worked

Thank you for your help though, really appreciate it.
pcster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
PremaEbooks
Zealot

Glad to read now it works

Old 07-14-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
oartalk
oartalk began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox t68, e43
Thank you.
oartalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
maxlauhk
Enthusiast
maxlauhk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.maxlauhk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.maxlauhk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.maxlauhk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx BOOX T68, M92
WOW! Sounds great! Cant wait to try.

Your effort in developing the softwares is the main reason I purchased the device from your store instead from other stores. Please keep it up, Booxtor

Max
maxlauhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #12
amdreluiz
André
amdreluiz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony-prsT1
Booxtor

I followed until the step 5. I type 1, enter, then it only says

Please connect Device with enabled-USB-debugging to your computer
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started succesfully *

and stays like that. It doesn't ask me anywhere for backup

any idea of what to do?
thanks
amdreluiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdreluiz View Post
Booxtor

I followed until the step 5. I type 1, enter, then it only says

and stays like that. It doesn't ask me anywhere for backup

any idea of what to do?
thanks
If this rooting method does not work for you smoothly, please try another
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=243945
This one seem to be a little bit easier...
Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
ThePilot
ThePilot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb

For my M96, Towelroot version 1 did the trick. The only difficulty was to find the application, since the first version is no more available on their website.
Here it is:
http://speedy.sh/3tN3z/tr1.apk
ThePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdreluiz View Post
This error means that your device drivers are not installed. So it is not being detected by adb.

Type "adb devices" in command window and it should display the device if device drivers are installed.
You can try this method to install android drivers :
http://www.droidiser.com/2012/11/how...y-android.html

Which OS do you have on your computer?

Last edited by Feher; 08-18-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote