Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
library books have to be deleted manually on paperwhite

I'm assuming this is just another reason to loathe the new paperwhite update, but hoping against hope there might be a fix.

I read a lot of library books, and to keep my kindle tidy, I regularly go into my amazon account and delete the expired/returned books. This used to remove them from "all titles" on both of my kindles.

After the updates, it no longer removes them from the paperwhite. I have to manually return them from the paperwhite -- even when they were long since returned. And there's no way to tell by looking that they're not actually available anymore.

Pretty sure this is deliberate on Amazon's part, since accidentally trying to download an expired book will bring up a buy button for it. But might there be a way to change it?
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
I also read a lot of library books, but I prefer to leave titles in my 'Library'. That gives me another way to know what I have read so that I am less likely to inadvertently select previously read books. My public library uses OverDrive, and patrons have the option to access OverDrive with the Libby app, but I prefer to use a browser to go to the OverDrive web site to select and check out books. While OverDrive does have a 'history' function, its not immediately obvious when using OverDrive when a selected book is included in the history list - the only indication is that there is a 'remove from history' option, but there have been several instances when I failed to notice that flag. I don't particularly care for the Libby app, and one reason is that it has no way to check if a book has been previously checked out.

So my practice is that when I finish reading a book, I immediately invoke the option on my Paperwhite to return the book to the public library. eBooks are in pretty heavy demand, and doing that means that if someone is waiting for a book that I have checked out, they may be able to get it a few days sooner. However, as you say, there is no option in the on-board software in a Kindle to direct that a book be deleted from the Kindle library.

But it is possible to go to Content and Devices on the Amazon web site, and select the books that you want to delete from the Kindle library. There is also a 'select all' function, but that could be dangerous because you could delete books from other sources, including purchased books.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:29 AM   #3
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
This is an issue I've always had with library books, do not think it is only due to an update. Amazon is a bit rough on the library returns sometimes.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:07 AM   #4
willaful
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post

But it is possible to go to Content and Devices on the Amazon web site, and select the books that you want to delete from the Kindle library. There is also a 'select all' function, but that could be dangerous because you could delete books from other sources, including purchased books.
That's what I meant when I said I go into my account and clear it out. But doing so no longer has any effect on the paperwhite.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willaful View Post
That's what I meant when I said I go into my account and clear it out. But doing so no longer has any effect on the paperwhite.

What do you mean by 'But doing so no longer has any effect on the paperwhite."

Are you saying that books remain in the Library listing on your paperwhite even after they are deleted from the Library on the 'Content and Devices' page of the Amazon site?
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:24 PM   #6
willaful
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post
What do you mean by 'But doing so no longer has any effect on the paperwhite."

Are you saying that books remain in the Library listing on your paperwhite even after they are deleted from the Library on the 'Content and Devices' page of the Amazon site?
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. They stay until I delete them on the paperwhite.